Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Road Bike sizing question
  • iainc

semi hypothetical question here, but it’s kinda long story… Anyhow, this pic shows road bike setup with saddle at right height for me :

any there is a query over whether the next size down (M, rather than M/L) would fit better. The ETT would be 1.5cm shorter, however with a 2cm shorter head tube, the saddle would effectively be higher in relation to the bars and the reach would be within 5mm of current (based on my drawing things with a protractor and ruler !). I am going for a bike fit on Fri and a change may be possible (again a longish story, not for now).

Advice and thoughts on the sizing would be very much appreciated. I am a touch over 5’10” but a short arse with a 30′ inside leg

GJP
    Free Member

Yes you have got short legs!

2cm off the HT is a lot IMO, given you are still using a few spacers. You don’t say how long your stem is. Given your unusual body I think a good bike fit is recommended.

Edit. It also looks like your bars are higher than your saddle. Is the drop right for you? If not then you may get away with a shorter HT?

TiRed

What’s the effective TT length. You are the same height as me with a torso two inches longer. I’d suggest an ETT of about 57.5 cm. So a slightly larger than “traditional” fit is more appropriate.

Do you lust for lower bars? You have about another inch to go down, so I think the fit looks OK. Do you have big feet? Smaller frame may lead to toe(clip) overlap, depending on headtube angle.

This from a 56cm riding ETT completely average sized (based on Bike fit) male rider.

iainc

GJP – indeed I do ! Stem on both sizes is 100mm. Haven’t looked at or touched the spacers – that’s what it comes with, again same no of spacers on both sizes

iainc

dj – ETT on the one in the pic is 56cm. My Jake the snake is 55 and the smaller Giant is 54.5. My Jake feels good even on long road rides, but is a bit more sitty up. size 10 feet, so normal in that !

TiRed

In that case, I think it fits you. I bought a bike that was too small years ago. Never really felt right once I’d tried a 56cm frame. From your other bikes, you don’t really do head right down (unless you have REALLY short arms!), and you can drop the front plenty already.

I’d stick.

GJP
    Free Member

IMO you should be using a longer stem on a M or M/L frame, 110cm and up.

steve_b77
    Free Member

That looks all sort of wrong, maybe you could get stilts for the pedals

oldgit
    Free Member

Ohhh iainc, all that research.
    It’s a minefield. Sounds like you need a 54/55 top tube.
    I’m 5’8″ with a 31 1/2″ inside leg and ride a small, and I know 5′ 10″ guys that ride small TCRs as well.
    I say a minefield, but getting those two measurements right isn’t that hard and TBH with that bike you should be able to calculate what you need with a bit of simple maths.
    What is the ETT of that one?

GJP
    Free Member

Nice bike is tha the 105 model?

iainc

dj – many thanks, useful info. I think it’s the lack of seatpost showing that is raising the query

iainc

GJP – it’s the Ultegra (Defy Composite 1) 🙂

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Looks quite similar to the way my Dads bike is set up. If you get the chance to try a smaller one before committing to it that would be a good indicator, as well as your bike fit. To be honest, without seeing you on it, I’d guess at it being the right size.

Oh and for what its worth, I’m 5’7″ ish and found the small Giant TCR I had to be a bit on the small side…

iainc

oldgit – minefield indeed.

The one pictured has a 56 ETT, next one down 54.5cm

iainc

thankfully I have an opportunity to change it to the smaller if the bike fit session (and the collective experience of you guys !) indicates so..

oldgit
    Free Member

100mm stem is small.
    So the smaller Giant is 54.5 so close to the 55 you like. Add a longer stem (110mm) and you’re almost there.

iainc

thanks – sounds like the Bike Fit is going to be useful

smell_it
    Free Member

I always thought road stems started at 120mm 8) I would say sized down and longer stem, but if the size down shortens that headtube any, you are going to have a gert stack of spacers, and we all know that is wrong 😉 To be fair if your body shape is that of someone from the Shire then your bike will always look a little kookie, but if it fits you and you like it, ride the arse off it and have a blast!

gab344
    Free Member

Well I just brought a 2012 defy advanced 3 and was suprized to find I was a M/L, I’m 6’0 with a 33″ leg. For your fit, this is worth checking, Giant’s own site here:-
    http://www.shopgiant-bicycles.co.uk/564/products/2012-giant-defy-composite-1.aspx

And click on “SIZE ME”, their own sizing chart suggests you are easily a Medium.

iainc

gab – ideal info, thanks. Just looking at that chart, along with some of the info from others, I am coming round to idea that I may be better on a M

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Can I jump in on this thread. I’m 5’11” and 32″ inside leg, so fall on the cusp of medium and large frames for most manufacturers. Which way do I go?

I know trying out would be best, but money talks so it’s going to be eBay or similar for this one.

oldgit
    Free Member

Just my opinion, but go small. Sizing up a frame with components seems better than reducing the size with components.
    A bigger frame with a short stem is horrible when climbing.

I should be on a medium Giant, but I couldn’t live with it and I wasn’t even on the cusp. The small is a superbe fit, but that’s the TCRs.

jonba
    Free Member

Advice and thoughts on the sizing would be very much appreciated.

It should be comfortable.

I wouldn’t worry about much else to be honest.

iainc

oldgit – opinion valued, and much appreciated. I will take that size chart that gab posted up in with me to LBS as I didn’t see that when selecting the M/L. My gut feeling is to size down..

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike sizing question’ is closed to new replies.