Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • road bike sizing
  • al1982
    Free Member

looking at a 2nd hand trek 1.1 58cm frame – im 5ft 9in with an 31in inside leg – is this going to be too big for me??

also any idea’s what this would be worth 2nd hand in good condition?

thanks

jonba
    Free Member

Probably too big for you. I’m 5’10 and ride a 56, my next road bike will probably be 54 or 55 with a longer stem.

I’d start aruond 50% of rrp for second hand value. However, it is worth whatever you are prepared to pay.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Most likely too big

rusty90
    Free Member

Sounds way too big. I’m the same size as you and ride a 52.

taxi25
    Free Member

Agree to big. 52/54 is where you need to be.

steve_b77
    Free Member

That will be far too big, my mate is just over 6′ and rides a 58cm Trek Madone.

I’m 5’11” and went from a 54cm Raleigh with a 130mm stem & 90mm reach bars to a M/L Giant TCR 570mm top tube with 100mm stem and 90mm reach bars. So works out the same, but the Giant has a much taller head tube and not being pro flexible it’s far comfier and therefore fits better and is nicer to ride.

Personally I’d say a 54cm max frame at your height, maybe a 52cm with say a 110mm stem, funnily enough the guy who bought my Raleigh was 5’9″

northend1881
    Free Member

I don’t know about Trek sizing but I am 6’3″ with a 34″ inside leg and ride a 57cm Norco which seems about right. The size chart says I should ride a 60cm, but the 60cm felt too big for me in the shop.

al1982
    Free Member

thanks for the guidance 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

As has been said a Trek 1.1 58 will be too big as it has a 57.3cm effective top tube, what you can’t do (as some others replying seem to be) is compare it with any other manufacturers 58 as they vary wildly (sometimes the 58 is seat tube length, sometimes top tube, sometimes effective top tube, sometimes completely arbitrary)

ransos
    Free Member

I’m the same height as the OP and both my road bikes are a 54cm top tube. They fit me perfectly with a smallish stem – I definitely wouldn’t want a bigger frame size.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Easier to ride a bike too small than too big.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSkBRskWdzs[/video]

tomhoward

6′ 1/2″ here and I ride a 58cm 1.5 and Madone. It will be massive for you, unless you have great big long legs, a tiny torso and arms that mean you drag your knuckles along the ground.

devash
    Free Member

Too big I would imagine. I’m 182cm (1cm short of 6ft) and I ride a 56. Its quite a compact frame though and for longer rides I’d probably be better off with a 58.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Agree with everything that has been said about it being too big for you. On the price front I recently sold a 3 year old 1.5 to a friend for £350 – think I might have got more on ebay, but went for the hassle free sale.

Oh, and despite being over 6 foot I changed from a 58 Trek to a 56 Spesh which is a much better fit.

TiRed

It’s mahoosive for you. If you want second hand look for a 54cm Cannondale/Trek, a Medium Giant, or even Small if thinking of a Cyclocross bike.

Virtual Top Tube is the standard measure, so look for bikes with a VTT of about 53-54cm. Tables are widely available on the web. A cm lower or higher can be accommodated by a change in stem, but for you I’d be starting with a 100mm stem on a 53cm, but might expect a 90mm will be a better fit. Shops will ofetn swap for free – even on used bikes.

£500 buys a very good SH bike, Look for Alloy at that price with 105 or Ultegra groupset.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘road bike sizing’ is closed to new replies.