Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Road Bike set up advice
  • trailmonkey

I bought a Defy 3 from the LBS over a year ago and supposedly got fitted for the right size bike – I’m a leggy 5’10” and the frame is a L.

I’ve spent most of that time commmuting a 10 mile each way journey with no issues at all, however I’ve tried to do a few longer rides on it and I’m finding that I’m getting pain at the tops of my arms and across my shoulders. The stem is mahoosive so my first thoughts are that I could do with a shorter stem. Am I barking up the wrong tree and do I need a more compact frame for longer rides ?

TIA

spock
    Free Member

Whats the length of the stem? Personally i’d of said 5ft 10 was a Medium…

ssnowman
    Free Member

What size is the bike in cm?

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunnng! Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 697 - The Sprunn...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Steve-Austin
    Free Member

My large Giant has got a toptube of 57ish so yours may be a bit on the long side for you. i would say its the right size but you might need to lower the saddle/flip the stem to make it a little comfier for longer rides

dyls

What Ive done is ensure, while on the hoods, that the handlebar hides the front wheel hub. Theres a youtube video of it out there. I had to buy a longer stem.

m0rk
    Free Member

My Giant TCR is a M, and I’m a lanky 6 footer. The L is going to be too big for you (being a micro)

A shorter stem will help bring the bars in a bit, shouldn’t fuss the steering too much either.

What about tilting the bars back a little? So you can ride on the hoods a little closer back to your chest?

Would a bike fit help?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Sounds like you’re overstretched; I’m 6′ 2″ and was riding a large Specialized Tarmac (583mm top tube) with a 120mm stem, I got measured and fitted at BikeScene in Barnsley (ask for Freddie) and they had me down for a 565mm top tube with a 110mm stem, effectively shortened my setup by 28mm.

The best money I’ve ever spent when it comes to road bikes.

mboy
    Free Member

I’m 5ft 11 (well a smidge under) and ride a medium Defy. Giant also do a M/L frame between the medium and the large, and even this felt too big. I’d say you’re riding a frame 2 sizes too big for you, and I’d be straight back to the shop you bought it from to have it out with them cos is the crucial issue.

Quick check on geometry, and Medium Defy TT is 545mm, M/L is 560, Large is 575 and comes with a longer stem too I think. I can’t imagine trying to ride my road bike with an extra 30mm in the TT and another 10mm in the stem, it would be like trying to pilot an oil tanker!

And as for how they size, the Medium is a 50cm compact, fits like a 54, the M/L is a 53.5 but fits like a 56, and the large is a 55 but measures up like a 58.

trailmonkey

ta guys.

the shorthand is that i’m stuck with the frame that i’ve got as i’ve been riding it for over a year. in many ways it feels ok, certainly doesn’t feel too big that my legs are stretched with a fair amount of seatpost showing and steering isn’t an issue.

so what can i do with the frame that i’ve got ? shorter stem and tilting the bars up so the hoods are closer ? i’ve got shorter mtb stems lying around so i can experiment.

GJP
    Free Member

As mboy says in all probability the bike is too big. Giant sizing does seem to confuse many.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The bike sounds far to big for you. I’m 6’2″ and I have long legs, I think the top tube on my bike is shorter than a large Giant and I only use a 110mm stem.

You could try moving the hoods back/up on the bars aswell, although you’d have to redo the bar tape.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Drop the saddle a cm, and flip the stem up.

oldnpastit

Might be able to find some bars with less reach?

(Giant M 5’8 and fits really well).

trailmonkey

cheers, will try.

aP
    Free Member

Try a 10mm shorter stem, and also look at rotating the bars up slightly. I wouldn’t worry too much about random people in the internet telling you its too big, I’m 5’8″ and ride 565mm TT road bikes.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Everybody saying I’m this height and ride this are missing the point! A bike fit fits the individual to a correct size, comparing with other people is a massive generalization.

FYI I am 1.86m and NONE of the bike frame sizes mentioned above so far would be big enough!

Get a bike fit from somewhere competent!

defydude
    Free Member

5’7 and ride a M Defy 2, 2010 model. Clock up 100-150m a week.

Just to confuse things 😉

….but as TheDoc says, going off just height is pointless as a comparison.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike set up advice’ is closed to new replies.