Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • road bike question plz
  • thewalker
    Free Member

would like to use turbo trainer over winter,would u buy a aluminium or carbon
    road bike to use on it,thanks

prawny

I’d buy whichever bike I would want to use in the summer. If it’s purely for turbo use get the cheapest one possible. If you want a decent road bike in the summer get a decent one now.

I’ve used both types on the turbo, as long as you don’t try and wing your bike around like you were honking up a steep hill any material is fine.

cyclistm
    Free Member

Whatever was the cheapest

cyclistm
    Free Member

Ignore my previous post. Prawny said it better than me.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Yep, if its just for the turbo then make it the cheapest functional thing you can find – sweat rusts steel, corrodes alloy and makes paint flake at an amazing rate. Protecting the bike is a good plan either way.

edhornby

Just get a really cheap old clunker road bike off ebay/gumtree for turbo duties only, as long as the wheel and drivetrain work thats all you need

rOcKeTdOg

Just use whatever bike you have now with a slick rear tyre

scaredypants

yes, old road bike wheel (with a turbo tyre on it) and use on your existing bike as RD suggests

thewalker
    Free Member

ok thanks all

whitestone
    Free Member

TiP: There’s a few turbo specific tyres around, I’d get one in a bright colour so you know that it’s for the turbo only as the rubber compound they use isn’t suitable for road use. Tacx do a blue one and Vittoria do a red tyre, quite different from typical road tyres.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘road bike question plz’ is closed to new replies.