Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • road bike Q
  • edenshawbay
    Free Member

What's best 34/50, 42/52, or 39/53.[general riding not racing.]

ctznsmith
    Free Member

How fit are you, how hilly is it where you live and how far are you going to be riding?

Ed2001
    Free Member

Probably 34/50 particularly if you live in a hilly area and or lack fitness.

RealMan
    Free Member

I ride 34/50, and I spin out at about 35-40mph. Will use the lowest gears for particularly steep hills as well.

aracer
    Free Member

30/39/53 if you live somewhere hilly enough. Single 50T ring if you live somewhere flat. Also depends how fit/fast you are. Not enough information I'm afraid.

Coleman
    Free Member

Oh dear! This will open a real can of worms.
    Any way for what it's worth I will suggest a compact as you live in a hilly area and it's for general riding. This will give a good spread of gears albeit with a few holes in the ratios. The new Ultegra 6700 even has the option of a 11 – 28 cassette.

edenshawbay
    Free Member

riding 34/50, 11,25 peak distict mainly.just wanting to see what people think are the best most usable ratios. i seem to be shifting the from 34 to 50 and back again all the time never in the right gear especially on undulating bits.rob.

njee20
    Free Member

I say compact suits most people's riding the best, so 50/34.

rowemasters
    Free Member

I find the compact setup perfect for Hilly Scotland and sportive distances.
    A 27 on the back helps too if your a way from home and a headwind starts up. It's like a get out of jail card for your legs.

MoreCashThanDash

I use a 34/50 with a 12-27 cassette – gets me round most of the Peak District, though I failed at getting up Winnats on Saturday as I haven't been able to ride much over the summer and have put on too much weight – can't blame it on the gearing!

I find I also shift about between the 34 and 50 rings a lot, I just think that it is a product of the compact system – I know I couldn't get up hills on a normal 39/53, and a triple didn't offer me much usable advantage in the real world, so I put up with it

nickc

53/11 is a big gear

sunchaser
    Free Member

50/34 for me.. & that on flat'ish terrain. IMO you need some big legs/lungs to spin 53/39

However I'm not the stongest rider but do ride regular & I'm getting stronger all the time. Gonna stick with compact gearing as it seems to suit my riding.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I find 34/50 gives a much more natural gear range. with 52/53 outer ring I always feel as if I'm in the wrong gear.

james-o
    Free Member

agree on the compact, 34/50 means most of the time you'll use a similar ratio and cadence as you'd get from a 39/53, but you have something in reserve for a long or steep climb at the end of a long ride. use a 11-25 on the back and it's a great spread of gears. i try to stick with a 53/39 in hilly areas on one of my bikes cos i'm stubborn, but i find myself taking the steel framed 34/50 ringed bike on the longer rides more often now and my average speed is often better as i finish rides with less strained or tired legs. Lance is right i reckon, spinning is the way to go.

edenshawbay
    Free Member

what gave out first the lungs or the legs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘road bike Q’ is closed to new replies.