Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Road bike pedals (again)
  • geoffj

I've started to up my mileage to a stage where I'm ready to do 3-4 hour road rides. To date I've been using MTB spds and shoes, but I'm starting to feel a bit of numbness and or hotspots after a couple of hours or so.

Is it now worth making the move to proper road pedals and shoes? I'm guessing the larger platform will help?

If so – what is good?

druidh
    Free Member

Do it…

I've been using Shimano Ultegra with some Specialized BG shoes (the cheapest carbon soled ones). Definitely feels like there's more power going into the bike and I don't suffer any problems with sore feet (but then I don't with an MTB style shoe/cleat either). We've just got some Look pedals in the shop and they "look" really nice too. I'm gonna give some a go for comparative purposes.

oldgit
    Free Member

Probably all good geoff. I've always used LOOK so can't comment on anything else.
    I do find I can get LOOK cleats anywhere though, and they have a long old race proven history.
    I would imagine LOOKs Keo is the most popular road pedal out there.

druidh
    Free Member

I think there are some Keo Classics going cheap-ish on ebay at the moment…

bikesr4riding
    Free Member

I recently converted from SPD / MTB carbon shoes to Ultegra SPD SL / Carbon Road shoes. There's definitely a difference in power transfer so worth the transition. I can't comment on the other many brands as I've always used Shimano.

I'm still getting used to clipping into the SLs as its a little trickier…

Ed2001
    Free Member

1 word speedplay, without doubt the best particularly if you have been used to mtb spd's.

geoffj

Thanks chaps.

Druidh – these? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Look-KEO-Easy-Clipless-Road-Bike-Pedals-Cleats-NEW_W0QQitemZ360188674322QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR?hash=item53dceb0112&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

There were some new 105s for sale in the classieds for £35 posted but then I'd have to get some cleats as well – another £15 or so?

And to float or not to float?

druidh
    Free Member

geoff – have a look for new Keo Classic BNIB – £39.95. They come with cleats of course.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I use look keo classics. Merlin have them in for £39.95 iirc.

geoffj

Right Keo Classics it will be then – and I suppose Spesh BG shoes, because they fit me best. Time to flex the plastic!

Andyhilton
    Free Member

I've got some Nike carbon soled shoes that feel like slippers!

My spesh mtb shoes are pretty comfy as well.

davo
    Free Member

dmr v8s with 5.10 impacts for all riding including mincing around on silly road bikes 😉

njee20
    Free Member

Keo cleat don't last anywhere near as long as Shimano ones, particularly if you walk anywhere. I walk about 100 yards across the car park from the bike shed to my office and find my cleats last about 6 weeks.

If I were starting again I'd get Shimanos, which I changed from, they're easier to get in and out too.

But I fear it's too late!

thumbie
    Free Member

Shoes – Specialized BG
    Pedals – Speedplay

My experience after starting with SPDs initially, shifting to Look Keo then trying Speedplay. Not looked back TBH.

metalheart
    Free Member

Speedplay. They are double sided and have variable float. No more fighting to find the the pedal when pulling away at the lights…

geoffj

The speedplay stuff looks interesting, but the platforms look small.
    Does the cleat make up for it in some way?

mrmo
    Free Member

the way to look at speedplays is as a reversed pedal system. The pedal is the size of a cleat and the cleat is the size of a pedal.

Only reservation i would have with Speedplay is the amount of float, not sure about that amount of rotational float, and it is expensive if you make a wrong choice. Hence i stick to Time which i like.

Vortexracing

geoffj, I'm just going through the same dilemma. Tired of using muddy, wet MTB shoes for commuting.

I have seen these on offer at £45 from Evans.

I'm asuming they will need some overshoes for the depths of winter (or even sooner). The Endura Road neoprene overshoes seem to get good reviews.

plus some 105 pedals from CRC.

I've always used shimano MTB SPD's, but i'm also completely new to this roadie SPD larky.

geoffj

Silver disco slippers! The real reason I want new roadie pedals! 😉

Vortexracing

I'm sure they will knock a good 10 minutes off my commute.

or at least that's what i'm using as an excuse to buy em

oldgit
    Free Member

Use cleat covers if you go walkies.

zaskar
    Free Member

Been using some spare XTRs on my road bike which is ideal for the city and 2hrs hard riding but 4hrs+ ocassional hot spots.

Using a road pedal distributes the pressure over larger surface area.

Thing is I could never clip out of my Ultegra pedals -really stuck on the easy release setting.

Anybody know a good release road pedal?

Ed2001
    Free Member

If you are used to mtb spds you will find speedplay the easiest to get in and out of as they are double sided as you are already used to. They also have adjustable float so you can adjust them exactly as you want them no float upto 15 deg ( I THINK).In speedplay its the cleat thats big with the mech rather than the other way round. The downsides are the cleats are expensive, but they wear out slowly, and they are very hard to walk in. BTW I use look keo's but if I was starting riding with cleats and I was commuting a lot and I had used mtb spd I would choose speedplay, no brainer imo.

Vortexracing

do Shimano pedals come with cleats, like MTB ones?

rather numpty question but with some of the posts above I'm no longer sure.

druidh
    Free Member

Yep – the roadie Shimano pedals come with the relevant cleats

Vortexracing

Ta

aracer
    Free Member

Using a road pedal distributes the pressure over larger surface area.

Which is pretty much irrelevant if you're using a stiff carbon sole. The important thing therefore being the shoe rather than the pedals – if you get an MTB shoe with a stiff carbon sole, the feel and the power transfer is just as good as with a road pedal and shoe.

scaredypants

I have speedplay frogs & MTB shoes on my road bike – means I can walk

No idea how they compare to the road speedplay pedals

Do road pedals REALLY allow more power to be transferred, or is that all down to the shoe ?????!!? (edit – didn't see aracer's post somehow, but I think I agree)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Road bike pedals (again)’ is closed to new replies.