Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Road bike gearing.
  • spooky_b329

I have a cross bike, currently 1st gear is 36×25 which I find hard work on road climbs. (especially as my wife has the luxury of 34×30 on her road bike)

It will be even worse when I decide to take it off road.

It has an older 105 rear mech on an 9spd cassette, does anyone know what size sprocket this can manage on the cassette. The cage looks shorter than the new Tiagra mech on my wifes bike with the 30t 10spd cassette.

Also, is there likely to be any issues with the mech being able to tension the chain now its got a wider range to cover?

john_l
    Free Member

Should be ok up to 28t with that mech.

mudshark
    Free Member

If you have a 36t chain ring you can go to a 34t as you’re using a compact right? Can certainly use 34×27 and I think 34×28 would be OK too.

spooky_b329

Thanks 🙂
    Edit: The plan is change the cassette and hopefully that will be enough, which will make it a cheaper exercise!

PaulD
    Free Member

Try the wheel out of your wife’s bike in yours….

PaulD

Dibbs
    Free Member

Alternatively just MTFU 😀

spooky_b329

My singlespeed is 32×18 (which is a 46″ gear compared to the 1st on the cross bike which is 38″) and I rode that around the W2 so I don’t NEED an easier gear 🙂

But wobbling about on a hill 60 miles into a boring road ride, watching my wife happily spin away alongside me can get a little tiring! I know cross bikes are meant to be carried up steep hills but I like to attempt to ride up everything 🙂

Nide idea Paul, will do that. I’m sure she will yell at me thinking I’m swapping parts again though 😆

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Road bike gearing.’ is closed to new replies.