Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Road Bike frame suggestions…?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Winter is on its way, so the winter road bike will be out in full force soon, and the nice bike put away. But… Looks like got a buyer for my current frame, and have a hankering to upgrade it for something more aero for next year. So this is possibly a few months in the offing, but well… A few months considering a new purchase never hurt! 😉

Anyway… Some criteria…

-MUST have at least a nod to being aero
    -No mainstream manufacturers (being a bit of a snob I know, but hey ho, it’s my choice, so Trek/Spesh/Giant/Canyon et al are a no go)
    -Price wise, nothing out of this earth (would love a Parlee, but that ain’t gonna happen!), but if it was £2k for a frameset that would be acceptable.
    -Not 100% firm on this, but I have a hankering after Matt Black right now.
    -Di2 routing not a deal breaker
    -Clearance for 25c tyres please
    -Comfort isn’t paramount, but it mustn’t shake my fillings out. Having ridden my current bike on both deep sections and 23’s (VERY firm and direct) and on box section ally rims and 25’s (felt like a sofa by comparison!) I believe the wheels and tyres make the biggest difference to the comfort (hence wanting room for 25’s)

I’d be taking all the nice stuff off my current bike (Reynolds Assault/Stirke wheels, SRAM Red, Zipp Bars/stem/post) anyway so happy to buy a frame only, though would consider a full build (say Ultegra or 105 as it’s easy to sell on) for the right price too.

Currently this is piqueing my interest…

The Wilier Cento Uno Air. Frameset is £2299, full bike with Ultegra and Shimano RS21’s is £2999, or as pictured above with Mavic Cosmic Carbon SLE’s for £3999. Personally I think it looks the business, but prepared to be shot down in flames and/or listen to other suggestions…

Size wise, at 5ft10 I’m pretty much a medium/54cm on anything, so shouldn’t be too hard to find something to fit to be fair. Should add that aesthetics matter too, and whilst they’re very personal, I will rule out anything I don’t like the look of simply cos I don’t like the look of it!

So… Fire away with your suggestions! 😛

aP
    Free Member

Just go Sarto.

mboy
    Free Member

Lovely aP, but they’re mega money!

TiRed

Look. Not mainstream, not too aero and not as much as a parlee.

Giant Propel SLS were available in matt black in the US :p

sputnik
    Free Member

Find deal on a LOOK 695

MrSmith
    Free Member

Fondriest tf2? About £1700 for the frame

geordiepaul
    Free Member

I’ve just got a Bianchi Infinito CV.
    It’s uber comfy and pretty aero with it. Looks pretty darn good too.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Plenty of nice frames on Ubyk..

mashiehood
    Free Member

Super six Evo?

lunge

Cervelo is the first thing that sprung to my mind, reputed to be very fast, look good and not mainstream (though they’re hardly niche).

Cipollini Bond maybe, colour is wrong but fits most of the other requirements? Scott Foil (not niche enough maybe)?

MrSmith
    Free Member

not mainstream

LOL i know a dozen people with cervelo’s, more than i know those with cannondales/treks/specializeds etc

Pegoretti, Casati, Fondriest, Sarto, legend, Comtat, Parlee, Chesini, Tomassini. all smaller brands that you don’t see a dozen of when out on a ride.

schmiken

Look 795,
    Colnago V1R,
    Cervelo S5,
    Baum Corretto (not aero, but so beautiful!),
    Ridley Noah,
    BMC TimeMachine,
    Felt AR1,
    Lapierre Aircode,
    Argon18 Nitrogen,
    Parlee ESX-R.

Just a few to get you started!

one_bad_mofo

Non-mainstream and matt black as an option? That’ll be a Handsling Bikes’ RR1.

I’ve got one and it’s lovely.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice list ^^^, not sure I fancy any of them though.

Storck Aerfast maybe? Not that mainstream. This one’s mostly matt black…

lunge

How about Starley? The AR frame is vaguely aero and black (with red), though you can customise them for not much extra.

Personally, I’d buy their stainless steel frame as I think it looks amazing (and looked even better in the flesh at the Cycle Show) but it is neither aero or black.

jonba
    Free Member
    davidtaylforth
    Free Member

THe problem with black aero style road frames is they all look quite generic IMO. So whether it’s brand X or brand Y, no one’ll know the difference.

A few more to consider though (don’t know whether these are any good, but I’ve seen them and they do exist)

Ridely Noah
    Argon 18 Nitrogen
    Bianchi Oltre
    Scapin something or other (can’t remember what it was)

MrSmith
    Free Member

for £200 to your frame budget you could get a custom Italian hand built tube to tube carbon frame inc Retul fit and built to suit your weight and riding style.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Meh, none of those really do it for me. Quite like the Argon 18 Nitrogen, and the 795 does look better than in the photos. I’d still rather have a Propel, Foil or Madone.

dragon
    Free Member

Look’s are ace but I’ll stay French and raise the bar a bit Time Skylon

theflatboy
    Free Member

I’m confused by the name of the person who’s actually asking this question… 😕

kinger

I do love my Noah SL, nice blend of aero and weight but dead smooth to ride and can get my Pavé 27mm in as well if needed

mboy
    Free Member

Look. Not mainstream, not too aero and not as much as a parlee.

Giant Propel SLS were available in matt black in the US :p

I can’t get over the look of Look’s (pun not intended). I know the 695 isn’t as “unique” as the higher end models, but it’s still a bit, well… They’re not called “Look” by coincidence!

On the whole, I like Giants, but I find the Propel a little challenging on the eye myself. Maybe it’s cos it looks a bit like a homage to…

Cervélo S5, in your size, reduced to £1800

The Cervelo S5… It’s REALLY ugly guys! Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all… And…

LOL i know a dozen people with cervelo’s, more than i know those with cannondales/treks/specializeds etc

I’m not being an uber snob, but after Pinarello, Cervelo is the MAMIL’s bike of choice. They just don’t do it for me either way though (well, not the S5 at least).

Fondriest tf2? About £1700 for the frame

Nice recommendation, not one that had appeared on my radar. Right sort of price too… I’m not looking for mega bucks, just something that looks the business, rides well, and is a little off everyone else’s radar. Like…

Storck Aerfast maybe? Not that mainstream. This one’s mostly matt black…

Another good suggestion… Except the seatpost limits you to a Selle Italia Monolink saddle (a MASSIVE no go for me) and it’s got the jacked up front aesthetic of an MTB with a suspension fork 30mm too long fitted. Could stand to gain an inch on the seat tube, or lose an inch off the head tube for a “more aero” aesthetic.

Pegoretti, Casati, Fondriest, Sarto, legend, Comtat, Parlee, Chesini, Tomassini. all smaller brands that you don’t see a dozen of when out on a ride.

If I could afford a Pegoretti, Parlee, Legend or a Sarto… Well… I wouldn’t be asking “what frameset for £2k”… 😆

Look 795,
    Colnago V1R,
    Cervelo S5,
    Baum Corretto (not aero, but so beautiful!),
    Ridley Noah,
    BMC TimeMachine,
    Felt AR1,
    Lapierre Aircode,
    Argon18 Nitrogen,
    Parlee ESX-R.

Just a few to get you started!

Some nice bikes in that list…

Look & Cervelo I’ve already dismissed. Colnago V1-R is marvellous, just the price stands against it.

Baum… Chapeau sir! The stuff of dreams, and will sadly remain that way until a lottery win.

Ridley Noah is an outsider, but I’m not struck by it. Doesn’t set my heart racing if you get me.

Likewise BMC, Felt & Lapierre… This would be a heart purchase not a head one (otherwise just get any number of bikes from a mainstream manufacturer for significantly better VFM, which I may yet do, who knows! This is fun though right).

Argon 18 I’m not a fan of the overly complicated (and usually creaky) headset setups.

Parlee is just way too much money!

Super six Evo?

Superb bike no doubt, no nod to aero though, and there’s a few of them about.

Non-mainstream and matt black as an option? That’ll be a Handsling Bikes’ RR1.

I’ve got one and it’s lovely.

Hadn’t come across Handsling. Just spent a few mins on their website, looking at their offerings. Very good VFM by all accounts! Do I dare say it though… Has more than a whiff of Specialized Tarmac about it! In fact, compare the geometry numbers to those on the Tarmac… Identical no less! Either a good thing or a bad thing based on your perspective.

How about Starley? The AR frame is vaguely aero and black (with red), though you can customise them for not much extra.

Shoot me down in flames if I’m wrong, but I thought the carbon Starley’s were just “catalogue” frames with a sticker and a paint job? Certainly don’t look that special to me… Steel one is nice mind!

Bianchi Oltre

Have ridden one (pukka original one, with Super Record, not newer cheaper heavier version). Was superb! Don’t want to drop that much cash though, and the cheaper version wouldn’t have the same cache so to speak. Also, I know of at least 3 people with Oltre’s already, so not that unique round here.

for £200 to your frame budget you could get a custom Italian hand built tube to tube carbon frame inc Retul fit and built to suit your weight and riding style.

Don’t think you’d get full custom for £2k… 😕

Was having a good chat with Richard Craddock at the NEC show, he’s local to me too. Love his bikes, and he’s a true engineer. He’s working with round tubes though, so no nod to aero at all. Who knows though, love his frames that I’ve seen so far, and they’re expensive but a lot cheaper than many.

Look’s are ace but I’ll stay French and raise the bar a bit Time Skylon

Not quite sure how that slipped under my radar (maybe cos I’m not normally a Time fan), but that looks marvellous! Hmmm… Integrated seat mast wouldn’t bother me either as I’ve got relatively long legs so would still retain some value at resale time.

All food for thought… Keep the suggestions coming! And I’ll apologise now if whatever I order is a bit more mainstream, but it’s nice to dream! :-p

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Are there any left to suggest?? The only brand I can think of with a nod to aero that ain’t common (never actually seen one) is Cippolini, no idea if they’re above budget though. But do know they just released a new aero model.

dirtyrider
    Free Member
    mboy
    Free Member

Are there any left to suggest?? The only brand I can think of with a nod to aero that ain’t common (never actually seen one) is Cippolini, no idea if they’re above budget though. But do know they just released a new aero model.

Awesome bit of kit. Rare as rocking horse poo (I’ve never seen one in the flesh). Bloody expensive!

Deanima Unblended ?

You’re a baaaaaad man… That’s just pron! Sadly I think it would blow the budget by some margin…

aroyalnit
    Free Member

I love my dedacciai and don’t see many around at all, their Atleta looks pretty nice for an aero frameset in budget

jonba
    Free Member

Still think the Azione. An ex club mate races one in the NE. Amazing looking bikes – that link doesn’t do it justice.

http://racingnick.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/the-azione-project.html

mrblobby
    Free Member

Another good suggestion… Except the seatpost limits you to a Selle Italia Monolink saddle (a MASSIVE no go for me) and it’s got the jacked up front aesthetic of an MTB with a suspension fork 30mm too long fitted. Could stand to gain an inch on the seat tube, or lose an inch off the head tube for a “more aero” aesthetic.

A different Storck then. Still aero, less jack…

http://www.storck-bicycle.cc/road-bikes/aernario-platinum-2016

And it’s just a 31.6 seatpost which you could swap.

mboy
    Free Member

I love my dedacciai and don’t see many around at all, their Atleta looks pretty nice for an aero frameset in budget

Looks very good, price is keen too. Going to have to rule it out on geometry grounds though, as it seems very long, low and relatively slack, a good thing on modern MTB’s perhaps, but being slightly longer of leg and shorter of torso, I need a shorter ETT and slightly taller head tube, and prefer a steeper seat angle too.

Still think the Azione. An ex club mate races one in the NE. Amazing looking bikes – that link doesn’t do it justice.

Doesn’t do it for me for some reason… Hard to explain but doesn’t light my fire.

A different Storck then. Still aero, less jack…

http://www.storck-bicycle.cc/road-bikes/aernario-platinum-2016

And it’s just a 31.6 seatpost which you could swap.

Had already seen that. The knowledge that the Aerfast is what I’d actually have preferred, it’s just that they went with an annoying seatpost that meant Selle Italia saddles only would annoy me! Little things I know…

Slowly warming to the (rather mainstream) Giant Propel actually. Well, specifically the high end Advanced SL model with the integrated seat mast. The cheaper versions look awkward with an excess of “seat tube” poking out past the seat post.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Had already seen that. The knowledge that the Aerfast is what I’d actually have preferred, it’s just that they went with an annoying seatpost that meant Selle Italia saddles only would annoy me! Little things I know…

Well the clamp on the Aerfast post is designed to work with both monolink and conventional railed saddle

Edit… I read this on the internet somewhere a while back, worth checking if you’re interested!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike frame suggestions…?’ is closed to new replies.