Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)
  • Road Bike Disk Rotors……. AGAIN
  • kcr
    Free Member

FTFY. I don’t think the UCI rules make anything but the tiniest impact to those sales.

Pro racing is a a high profile advertising platform for the equipment manufacturers and they want to show their disc brake products in use. If the peloton move over to discs, I bet there is a sizeable market of big spending sportive riders who will decide their current top end caliper brake bike needs to be upgrade (and an even bigger market of legacy bike upgrades in the more affordable range)

aracer
    Free Member

I’ll give you some marks for that reply – as already pointed out your previous comments were just wrong. My take on it is that the main factor is that speeds are a lot higher, hence the power generated due to gravity which has to be dissipated is also higher (power = F * v)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

matts – Member
    I put some new rotors on my road bike today.

Unfortunately I’m now having to type this with my nose.

😆

twisty

Rotors are a spinny hot thing.

Going into corner on a descent, on road the starting unbraked speed is much higher (unsuprisingly go faster on an aero setup on a smooth surface) and there is more grip so more braking force can be applied. More speed scubbed off in a shorter space of time = greater impulse dumped into hot spinny thing = hotter spinnier thing.

More significantly road riders are much more likely to enter into corner on a descent in a pack. Due to their placement and the general mechanism of crashing you are unlikely to come into contact with your spinny hot things when crashing by yourself but are more likely to come into contact with hot spinny things when crashing into a pack of them.

Tests on dead pig carcasses required. Expecting road racers to be running tiny disks protected by carbon covers that double as cooling ram scoops by 2020.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Tests on dead pig carcasses required. Expecting road racers to be running tiny disks protected by carbon covers that double as cooling ram scoops by 2020.

You see there was a trial… but they tossed all the evidence away as somebody got hurt miles away 🙁
    Nobody seems to pick up disc brake injuries here
    [video]https://youtu.be/ZZcpFdNsZRI[/video]

matts
    Free Member

Tests on dead pig carcasses required.

WHOAAAAAAAAA!

I think we an all agree that a few pros can suffer some disfiguring injuries if the alternative is going to involve wasting bacon.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Rejoice all lovers of disc brakes as the UCI trial resumes! Soon the pro’s will all be made by their sponsors to use a technology they neither want or need just so that the manufacturers can sell more stuff to the general public who are already buying it regardless… 🙂

http://road.cc/content/news/208031-uci-resume-disc-brake-trial-2017

bluebird
    Free Member

Yeah, I mean it’s not like they work any better. Plus, they’re reallly, reallly dangerous – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nANsrwcWeTM

Viewing 8 posts - 81 through 88 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike Disk Rotors……. AGAIN’ is closed to new replies.