Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Road bike Content: What to do with a mavic Aksium wheel with worn rim
  • ac505
    Free Member

The rim is worn on my front wheel (previous owner must have worn the blocks down….) I can’t get a replacement Aksium rim and am wondering if the 2008 Ksyrium rim could be used instead?? I’m hoping I may even be able to keep the same spokes but I don’t have any details on the two rims to tell. Anybody got any suggestions or ideas as I would rather not buy a new wheel when it is only the rim that is past it…

firestarter
    Free Member

dunno but i got quoted over two hundred quid for a new rim putting on my ksyrium es wheel so when they go its getting binned 🙁 then goin back to handbuilts

clubber
    Free Member

I believe that Ksyriums (the higher range ones) would be incompatible since they use different nipples (at least the ones with alumninium spokes do) which thread directly into the rim. If you can get a ksyrium equipe rim that uses normal spokes then it may be possible.

ac505
    Free Member

Chainreaction have the Ksyrium Equipe for twenty odd quid, but given these spokes are a pain to get the last thing I want to do is end up with a new rim and can’t lace it up!!. Plan B is to build up a regular 32H front wheel, the old Shimano 105 hubs are pretty cheap nowadays…..

Doug
    Free Member

There’s always plenty of front OEM Aksiums going on eBay as they tend to get replaced with lighter wheels pretty quickly however rear wheels tend to be kept for use on the turbo.

You’ll be left with a spare axle, bearings and spokes.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

What Clubber said

Given the costs of the Aksiums, you either find a doner rim from someone whose got a wheel whose hub has failed and rebuild it, or get a new wheel (IIRC you can buy Mavic wheels separately from some places – try Parkers -or, as you say, get a 105/Open Pro build). The cost and difficulty of mating a Ksyrium rim to your hub will be as much as buying a new wheel. Last time I was robbed blind… sorry…. bought some Ksyrium spokes they were several quid a go.

ac505
    Free Member

taking a balanced view, I think I’ll just build something new, I’ll end up with a better wheel as I’ll build it myself which will be 10 times better than alot of the machine built junk out there….. Anyway 105 hub will be a reasonable and cheap starting point, any ideas on a rim around the £30 mark?

ac505
    Free Member

bristolbiker, sorry was typing my reply when yours came in!! You reckon Open Pro’s are a good rim, anything else I should also consider?

juan
    Free Member
    clubber
    Free Member

Open pros or CXP22s – Open pros by preference for me but the CXP is stiffer and more resistant to big hits (eg potholes)

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Never had any complaints with Open Pro’s – certainly for the money they are about as good/light as you’ll get. You could prob get away with 28 hole, but it will be more of a faff that getting 32 hole. other than that, it’s all good. As Dylan says, CXP22’s are a bit cheaper, stiffer (deeper section), but weight a good bit more. Neither are a bad choice.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

you either find a doner rim from someone whose got a wheel whose hub has failed and rebuild it

*Hand goes up*

I have an Aksium rim in my loft doing nowt (flange on the hub expired but the rim and spokes were in VGC).

Any good to you?

mermanthurman@ymail.com

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Is this story going to have a happy ending? 😉

ac505
    Free Member

Thurman Merman, just mailed you!! Cheers.

clubber
    Free Member

ac505
    Free Member

don’t you just love this forum!!

rob1984p
    Free Member

AC505, its not quite as impressive a result as the detective work on the ‘stolen in taunton’ thread the other week but still a top result. When I put a new rim on a rear Ksyrium I reused the spokes having cleaned them with petrol, I reused the nyloc nipples too which was probably a bit naughty but I used Linseed oil on them as I always do which I knew would set nicely. My only other tip is to use an adjustable spanner to keep the spokes in line when truing; otherwise the bladed spokes may actually slow you down.

ac505
    Free Member

balls, back to the drawing board as the above rim was a rear ie 24H, not 20H. I’ll keep looking I suppose…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Road bike Content: What to do with a mavic Aksium wheel with worn rim’ is closed to new replies.