Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road bike chain alignment issue
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I built myself a new road bike a few months ago and when I try and use the 12/13 and 39 rings the chain rubs on the inside edge of the 53 out ring and makes a horrid noise.

Now I was wondering whether a shim on the inside of the drive side bb cup will push the chainset out slightly and therefore reduce the chain angle from the rear sprockets to the inner front c/ring

Or should this combination never work?

Thanks

cynic-al
    Free Member

Not uncommon for rubbing IME, I doubt a spacer will help.

Big-ring time.

STATO
    Free Member

You usually cant fit spacers to road bikes as clearances are typically too tight. But as above, changing gear is the way everyone else deals with it (if you read the instructions that come with your gears, who does?, itll show you that those gears are ‘not recommended’ for use).

mrmo
    Free Member

it is the result of short chain stays and it one of the reasons why you don’t use that gear combination.

tinribz
    Free Member

I added some brass washers to the ring bolts one one of my bikes to widen the space because of a similar issue. Worked a treat, took a while to get the front derailleur set up though.

cynic-al
    Free Member

that can really **** up your shifting.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I just switched from a standard c/set to a compact 50/34 and I find that I want to use the 12/13 sprockets a lot more than when I had the 53/39 c/set

Very annoying

TheBrick
    Free Member

Its your gears trying to tell you not to use that combination.

Straighter chainline -> more efficient and less and ware stress on components.

39/12 ~ 53/16.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road bike chain alignment issue’ is closed to new replies.