• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by bigG.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road bike brake pad recommendations
  • rhid

I was out riding yesterday when the heavens opened and stopping with pathetic rim brakes was not easy (ok this may be relative to disc brakes)!

What pads are people running which offer a bit more control? I have 105 calipers which I think are pretty well set up! I remember someone mentioning Swiss Stop?

Anyways any suggestions much appreciated, I did not like not being able to stop!

FuzzyWuzzy

Kool Stop salmons are the ones usually recommended (and what I use), same performance IME as Swiss Stop greens but a bit cheaper

atlaz
    Free Member

I’ve got the standard Shimano ultegra/dura-ace pads on mine and they’re fine. I have a set of kool-stop mixed compound (half salmon, half the normal compound) for winter riding but they’re not significantly better that I’d buy another set. Swiss stop are supposedly good but it may be that you need to adjust them a bit and get used to the change in stopping power wet rims give you.

lunge

I like the Dura-Ace pads, they seem a bit better than the normal Shimano jobs. The Kool Stop and Swiss Stop are both meant to be very good though.

BadlyWiredDog

Swiss Stop Green here, I’d say they’re a little better than the Kool Stops Salmons, but both work. Both massively better in the wet than stock Campag Chorus pads. Bought after a day of rainy terror around the Goyt Valley a few years back…

ransos
    Free Member

Kool Stop salmons are the ones usually recommended (and what I use), same performance IME as Swiss Stop greens but a bit cheaper

I recommend the new Swiss Stop blue pads, and they come in a lower profile for wide rims. About the same braking power as Salmons but less grabby in the wet.

hilldodger
    Free Member

The Aztec dual compound pads have been good for me, quite a bit cheaper than the more premium brands as well 🙂

bigG
    Free Member

SwissStop blue if you have alloy rims, SwissStop black prince if you have carbon.

There are no better pads in my experience

G

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road bike brake pad recommendations’ is closed to new replies.