Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Road Bike – Bar Tape Question
  • hp_source

Hi,

I’m looking at replacing the bar tape on my road bike, not done it before, and wondering how likely I am to make a dog’s dinner of it? Can I ‘double up’ with what’s already there for comfort (it’s like a foamy tape at the moment).

What else will I need in order to do a good job?

Cheers
    Keith

TooTall
    Free Member

Always wind the tape ‘outwards’ and from the bar ends up. Double wrapping bar tape is a solution some guys use for the likes of Paris-Roubaix for extra comfort.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

1 – It’s not hard, just take your time, keep light tension in the tape and if you start going wrong just unwrap a bit and do it again.

2 – Yes

HTH 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cp

there’s a cracking video on you tube – think by fizik on how to get a nice wrap.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I found an initial rap of electrical tape, with the adhesive side out, meant the bartape still stuck after my OCD kicked in, wrapping and rewrapping, getting it bang on. Park had a good explanation.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

As above take your time, keep the tension on the tape and cutting the tape at the end needs to be done in the correct manner other wise it looks odd, the park tool website has an excellent guide.

Double wrapping is fine for the Pros at the Paris-Robaix, for everyone else in everyday life it’s a no no, it makes you look weak and you will be dropped by every roadie you meet.

HTH.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I wouldnt of thought you’d need to double wrap, unless, as mentioned, you’re planning on riding on cobbles a lot!

Lots of good advice already, wrap to outside and finishing with electrical tape works a treat. The finishing tape that comes with them can be a bit crap. Also make sure you have about half a width overlapping the ends so you can tuck them in when you put the end caps on.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Also make sure you have about half a width overlapping the ends so you can tuck them in when you put the end caps on.

Indeed and here’s a tip, when you have the overlap wind the tape on 4 or 5 wraps, then test that the bar plug fits neatly and snugly in the bar.

There is nothing worse than wrapping the whole of one side to find that you didn’t have enough overlap at the beginning.

carbon337
    Free Member

Indeed and here’s a tip, when you have the overlap wind the tape on 4 or 5 wraps, then test that the bar plug fits neatly and snugly in the bar.

There is nothing worse than wrapping the whole of one side to find that you didn’t have enough overlap at the beginning.

I’ve done this and made an arse of it. Also gap round the hoods. A general dogs dinner.

crazy-legs

Also gap round the hoods. A general dogs dinner.

I don’t think I’ve ever done my hoods the same way twice. No matter what I do it seems different every time!
    Search on YouTube for Park Tools tips, there’s a couple of good videos on there about bar tape wrapping.

crikey
    Free Member

I tend not to use the tucked in by the bar plug method; if you should lose one in a fall or by picking the bike up, the tape will unwrap and you will look like you’ve got tassles on your bars…

I just wrap it over on itself; makes a small rise in the tape which tells you where your hand is on the drop, useful for cross..

You can also increase or decrease the thickness of tape by wrapping it with more or less overwrap.

456lover
    Free Member

go slowly…no slower…like properly slowly and it will be grand

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike – Bar Tape Question’ is closed to new replies.