Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Rivnuts experience
  • wicki
    Free Member

Hi thinking of adding some extra mounting points to a frame with rivnutz any one done this ? what were the results and did they last?

could you add nutserts to front forks for pannier or bottle mounts ?

wwaswas

I’m not sure just drilling extra holes is a great idea – particularly in forks that haven’t been designed for the holes to be there or the type of loads that mounting stuff to them would generate.

Rivnut setting tools are quite costly too, irrc.

richmars

Also, I’m not sure how well they work on a tightly curved surface. I used them years ago but I made some washers with a curved face that matched the inside of the tube, so the rivnut compressed against a flat surface.

matt_outandabout

I used it in the back end of a VW Touran to hold the boot strut mount in place – and needed extra added liquid metal as well. Yes they work, but not so well on curved or thin metal….

Ziptie something on? Buy a seat post clamped bottle mount? Rigid forks with dual bottle/anything cage mounts? Rack? Anything but drill a hole in a frame!

bencooper
    Free Member

Bad idea in forks – rivnuts need a much larger hole than the bolt size, and unlike a bottle boss which is brazed in they don’t reinforce the hole. So only a good idea where there’s lots of spare metal.

nemesis
    Free Member

I bought a rivnut gun and rivnuts on ebay for about £18 IIRC. I’ve only used them to replace existing rivnuts for bottle cages on a couple of frames but they’ve been fine for that.

I wouldn’t add them in forks for anything heavy (like a pannier rack and panniers) and while I suspect in reality you’d quite likely be fine for a bottle cage in many rigid forks, it wouldn’t be a risk I’d take given the critial nature of a fork.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Rivnuts experience’ is closed to new replies.