Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Rivington conditions?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Anybody been out up there this week?

Up north later this week and could fit a ride in on Friday. Are there any better alternatives if conditions are bad there?

🙂

binners

Well there’s going to be plenty of us out up there Wednesday night. We shall issue a full conditions report on Thursday morning. Rivi’s not so bad when we’ve had a lot of rain. Its fairly obvious where’s going to be boggy.

ie: the path across the moor instead of the road climb from the Black Dog. Which I recall wasn’t too great an idea last time out

grum
    Free Member

Where up north are you going to be? Much of the riding in the Lakes is ok in the wet as it tends to be quite rocky.

chakaping
    Free Member

Near Wigan, probably heading to Lakes at weekend but only time for 2-3 hrs on Friday.

Cheers Binners, yes I remember a bit of a mudbath last time.

jswan
    Free Member

It’s all good up there considering the weather, ruts are getting deeper but it’s all good fun.

Junkyard
    Free Member

mail me I may be able to give you a tour/guide depending on time

chakaping
    Free Member

ygm junkyard

Junkyard
    Free Member

cant open till I am home about 6 ish

D0NK

Has been holding up fine, should still be fine I’d have thought, will see later on.

Vortexracing

Should be OK as long as you keep off the boggy stuff,

looks like an STW outing up there tomorrow 😀

we are out for an evening ride as well

binners

There’s going to be more fat middle aged blokes than you can shake a stick at up there tomorrow night! 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ll know who to blame if it’s all cut-up on Friday then.

🙂

binners

In the time you’ve got You could do the run we did, but skip the Darwen Moor loop which will be boggy as hell anyway. Up through the gardens to the Pike, kennels up to the transmitter, San Marino, then the road climb (instead of the bog) then ice cream run to finish

chakaping
    Free Member

That’s what I had planned TBH, might aim for a couple of laps of that.

Is Healey Nab firm or sloppy in the wet? My other option is to check out the tracks there.

hora
    Free Member

I was up there last night. All good but the dirty carpark **** were also out early scouting for other likeminded men. 🙁

binners

Stop for a quick BJ Hora?

I’d say Healey Nab will be pretty sllippy slidey at the moment

hora
    Free Member

They all seem to be in small work vans. So if you know a rufty builder or manc sparky he’ll also like abit of manulove 😆

jswan
    Free Member

Healey nab is a bit sloppy at the moment.

We made the mistake of parking the van near the big dodgy lay-bi on the A666. Never again.

binners

No doubt you’re now aware what that lay by is called? Named by everyone who’s happened across something unholy after dark!

grum
    Free Member

So are we bringing bikes tomorrow or is this just a STW dogging meet up?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Quick question is their anything in the woods at blow job alley. And i mean with the bike not man sausage related?

binners

To quote American Werewolf: “always stay on the path” 😯

chakaping
    Free Member

Erm, I almost hesitate to ask now, but what rubber should I bring?

XC mud tyres or XC intermediates?

binners

You don’t need mud tyres round Rivi

Looking around at our last jaunt, all except the clown bikes were running Maxxis Advantage

sefton
    Free Member

Quick question is their anything in the woods at blow job alley. And i mean with the bike not man sausage related?

take a look and report back (if you can still walk) 😆

seriously I drive past every day (on the way to work) and the amount of men lurking around walking into the woods etc is ridiculous! I thought it was called the “gayby”?

there are some decent trails behind the woods though (going past the reservoir upto tockells.

simmy
    Free Member

As a new member im getting worried im gonna accidently ride into this dodgy place.

Seriously, can someone give me a clue where it is.

Im open minded but this would probably tip me over the edge !!!!

Cheers

simmy
    Free Member

BTW +1 for Maxxis Advantage in Rivi.

I swapped from Conti Mountain Kings and noticed miles more grip, especially when descending from the Pike and going down Georges Lane.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Ots a shame really its spoiled by middle aged bummers because id like to find a mini Gisburn home baked on my doorstep. I like woodland trails. Anyone know of any apart from the Nab?

binners

chakaping – I am delighted to report that the conditions at Rivi are damn near poifect. God knows how? The amount of rain we’ve had, but who’s moaning?

The San Marino has got some new, and bigger holes and ruts in it, especially in the middle section, to keep you on your toes. Its all good! 😀

sefton
    Free Member

im getting worried im gonna accidently ride into this dodgy place.

oh you’ll know all right! 😆

its the layby on the a666 just after egerton.

wors

Ots a shame really its spoiled by middle aged bummers because id like to find a mini Gisburn home baked on my doorstep. I like woodland trails. Anyone know of any apart from the Nab?

There’s a couple of cheeky ones near the strawberry duck 😉

Binners, did you do two lads? is that okay too? I shall be up there tonight i think 🙂

binners

Woodland trails? Well I wouldn’t advise riding through here.

Its twisty and rocky and rooty and steep, but unfortunately its a footpath, so going hooning down it repeatedly would be extremely naughty. Wouldn’t dream of it myself 😉

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Binners, did you do two lads? is that okay too? I shall be up there tonight i think

binners missed-out Two Lads last night but a couple of us threw it in as an extra. The climb over the footbridge from the mast rd is boggy but the descent to the dog kennels is still in good nick. It’s only the “ravine” by the dog kennel steps that’s been eroded up by the water and has a bit more lose stuff in it than usual.

grum
    Free Member

Binners, did you do two lads?

😯

Back to the biking though, I was really surprised by the relative lack of mud around at Rivi last night.

quarryman77
    Free Member

Strava ride profile
    Good ride last night gents!

Video will be up after the weekend I expect..

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Might have an explore. Also this time related to Rivi. How do i get to Healey Nab from Coal pit road say to Healey nab. Preferably off road.

jswan
    Free Member

You can do that by going along the resevoirs up to white coppice then a 2 min road section. Or via great hill which is a lot more work but more fun.

Sounds like I missed out last night.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Is Great hill the one opposite winter hill along from the blue lagoon res?

jswan
    Free Member

Pretty much yes, Go right to the end of georges lane and it is over the road. It’s a good workout alright.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes great hill is the one you mean but it is straight in front of you from the top of Winter hill – ie to your left when you start the san marino descent

you cannot really [ you can but dont] get there from the Blue lagoon without either aswamp or a push.

I would avoid as it is best done after lots of sun or in winter when the grund is frozen as it is very boggy.

If you e-mail me [ yours is not in profile mine is] I will send you some MM routes to et to Healey nab and show you the best routes up great hill from belmont road side

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Rivington conditions?’ is closed to new replies.