Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Risk assesment for a radio!
  • jonba
    Free Member

So,

I have genuinely got to put together a risk assesment together for the use of a radio at work. I think someone objects and is trying to put barriers in the way of us having any enjoyment in life.

It’ll only take me a few minutes to knock one up but I was wondering if the collective could offer any “risks” that I should include.

Currently the best I can come up with is damage to hearing and the radio volume being limited as it only goes up to 10 not 11.

kayak23

There is always a danger that you could accidentally listen to Chris Moyles.
    You’d better include that risk.

everyone
    Free Member

The radio could fall off the shelf and potentially injure somebody.
    Someone could poke their eye out with the aerial.

Fist fights caused over what station to listen to?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Damage to face of anyone who isnt me changing the channel – or if its royal mail – danger of a strike if its not changed from station a to station b at the alloted time.

bruneep

Need a RA for surfing on here?

br
    Free Member

Risk of been sued for broadcasting in a commercial environment?

http://www.absoluteradio.co.uk/listen/at_work.html

Sorry to be serious 🙂

stumpyjon

Is it PAT tested, does it stop people from hearing equipment noises, eg early signs of bearing wear, quiet instrument beeps etc. Is the environment already noisy, it will add to the noise level. Does the company have a PRS licence?

nickjb
    Free Member

It’ll need PAT testing but that will be flagged up by your risk assessment.

Edit too slow. Masking of other sounds is a good point. Generally H&S is a good thing. It’s only poor implementation that makes it a joke occasionally.

timidwheeler

You could be driven insane by poor reception.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Possible distraction – leading to some accident because distracted ?

Near a water source – electrocution ?

MoreCashThanDash

I briefly worked in a Royal Mail sorting office where there was a set rota of channels at set times so everyone got to suffer equally.

One day it got switched to the wrong station at the wrong time and the union were on the point of an unofficial walkout before someone realised that you could just retune it to the correct station and avert a pre Christmas catastrophe.

Dangerous things radios!

MoreCashThanDash

Just seen trail rats post, must be a common RM problem!

nickdavies

You could have PRS call you every day for the next 13 years demanding £400 to play shitty radio full of bad music and worse adverts, until you go mad, not to mention the pain in the ass of having to turn the radio down every time someone calls in case it’s them.

You could of course pay them, but that would be no fun…

richmars

The risk of someone who doesn’t like music at work committing mass murder.

parkesie
    Free Member

I once lobbed a hammer across the workshop and it just went straight through the radio. Was constantly being turned up to the point that it distorted and you couldnt hear a impact gun over it. The amount of pieces it broke into was amazing some of them very sharp is include that in your assessment.

jonba
    Free Member

The licence part may this idea…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Don’t discount the workplace stress caused to people subjected to unwanted listening. You can look away from an unpleasant sight but you can’t hear away from an uncouth noise.

Yes I’m serious. I know; for I was that soldier…

molgrips
    Free Member

I once lobbed a hammer across the workshop

😯

Include parkesies as one of the risks!

Trekster

Can certainly be the cause of mess room arguments 😆
    I like the radio on, some like it off, some want this station or that station, some just walk in and switch it off 🙄

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

You could tune into Sounds of the 60s while operating heavy machinery and be rendered catatonic

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Crush injuries from the stampede to go and buy the latest orthaopedic wonders being advertised on said radio?

Overly long flex causing throttling hazard to person putting radio in offfice?

Junkyard
    Free Member

you can’t hear away from an uncouth noise

TRUE that I once worked somewhere where they insisted on 80’s station. Mysteriously every radio we had kept breaking.

NO hammers were involved but it was torture.

jambourgie
    Free Member

1) If the radio has the capability to tune into Steve Wright, then it could easily cause people to repeatedly smash themselves in the face with a baseball bat/sock full of snooker balls.

2) The arial/arial? (How the F… do you spell arial?) could have someone’s eye out/get stuck up someones O-Ring.

3) Listening to commercial radio* could cause persons of a sensitive disposition to voluntarily let all the blood out of their body into a waste-paper bin.

*Query: why do people do this to themselves? Usually tradesman/shops/garages etc… loud, brash adverts or darkly menacing threats about not paying “road tax” “TV Tax” etc etc

suburbanreuben
    Free Member
    gwaelod
    Free Member

PA Testing…not PAT Testing

FFS

nickjb
    Free Member

It may be a tautology but PAT Testing is what it is called by pretty much everybody who works in the field. Its more of a slang term, “ere Dave, PAT test that radio”, and everyone understands it which from an H&S point of view is good. FFS

johndoh
    Free Member

Furious disco dancing could lead to RSIs?

edlong
    Free Member

I, personally, hate tautolgy

dragon
    Free Member

Grow some balls tell them there is zero requirement for a Risk Assessment and if in doubt point them at the HSE BLOG

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Listening to Tony Blackburn could be dangerous for cheese-allergy sufferers

CountZero

PRS for Music is entitled to charge businesses for having Absolute Radio on at work. When music is played or performed in public, they act as the agent who collects the performing royalties for the people who wrote the music. So you can continue to enjoy music in the workplace, we?ve put together a list of tips to help you:

How do the PRS continue to get away with what is, in effect, a tax on listening to music which has already had the royalties paid to the performer by the station broadcasting it.
    You’re not playing music or performing it, you’re listening to a radio broadcast that includes music.
    And I always thought that work places to which the general public were excluded weren’t covered by PRS anyway.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Applauds the smartarse

ell_tell
    Free Member

any “risks” that I should include.

Nerd alert.

The risk is the chance of harm being done.
    Hazard is anything that can cause harm (e.g. work materials, equipment, work methods and practices)
    😀

cranberry
    Free Member

“Dear person,

there is a risk that if you don’t allow me to have a radio in the office I might dip a hedgehog in vinegar and shove it up your arse, you fatuous waste of oxygen.

Love and Kisses,

Jonba”

That should do it, along with some nice, bold posters placed around the office with the slogan “Think, Anus” and a picture of a hedgehog and a bottle of Sarson’s on them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Im laughing so much I cried at cranberries post

garage-dweller

Sat here with an injured (sore) neck that now hurts even more thanks to cranberry!

zokes
    Free Member

How do the PRS continue to get away with what is, in effect, a tax on listening to music which has already had the royalties paid to the performer by the station broadcasting it.

Having just scan-read their site, I can safely say they can go **** themselves for precisely this reason. That site reads like a dodgy protection racket

thehustler
    Free Member

Threat of causing a public riot due to reporting of news stories inciting conflicting opinions within the work place

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Is the radio likely to cause harm?

No.

End of risk assessment. Stop this now or next you’ll be doing them for paper clips etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Risk assesment for a radio!’ is closed to new replies.