Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Riser bars – any point?
  • filks

Just for info really.

I’ve got risers and like them – but would not a steeper angle stem and flat bar achieve the same thing? Is there any advantage to risers?

cynic-al
    Free Member

It does achieve the same thing in theory, but flat bars look more fun/relaxed/freeride, which, I think, matters.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Riser bars look better than a steep stem.

robsoctane
    Free Member

That’s right, they look better and that can mean a lot, they look comfy so will make you feel that way. Just a sugar pill but a lovely looking one!

bampot
    Free Member

Often thought the same… but I like mine set up with a slight rise at the ends (rather than dead flat). Older flat bars didn’t have as much sweep either, but looks like that been rectified these days.

ivantate
    Free Member

Dude, you can’t ride without them

BruceWee

They did about 15 years ago when I was trying to get my front end up as high up as possible. Now that my front travel has gone from 80mm to 180mm I’m trying to get the front as low as possible so I’ve finally gone full circle back to flat bars.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

Noooooo….. i t s a T R A P !

you can’t ride risers! You’ll diiiiiiiiiie

roadie_in_denial
    Free Member

It’s all about fashion as far as I can tell, although there is a nod towards functionality as described by Brucewee up there.

Years ago flat bars meant XC and risers meant FR/DH. Funny how things go in circles, hey?

molgrips
    Free Member

Flat bars have the bit you hold onto at a slightly different angle. If you really wanted to replace riser bars with a flat one and get the same position (for XC) you’d need a bizzarre stem which would probably be hard to find, and then you’d need some kind of strangely shaped bar.. what’s the point? Might as well just use a riser.

ton

i have always had trouble with flat and riser bars.
    neither allow your had to lie in a natural position, the on one mary bars does however, but it is too narrow.

no that any of that answers your question……. 😀

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Flat bars have the bit you hold onto at a slightly different angle

er. Backsweep and upsweep. You can get flat bars with the same up and back sweep as risers (and actually this depends a lot on width as well – put a lot of sweep on a narrow bar and you end up very cramped)

wwaswas

the biggest advantage ‘traditional’ flat bars have is that you can fit bar ends without making your bike look like it’s ridden by someone with the aesthetic sense of Su Pollard.

epicyclo

Flat bars only exist because the stems in the early days had inadequate clamps, so a traditionally shaped bar would rotate on bumps or under heavy braking.

A flat bar with bar ends puts your hands in a similar position to a traditional bar without the benefit of having the brakes to hand. If you like bar ends and aren’t a fashion victim, there’s a good case for dropbars on recreational mtbs*

A riser bar can be slightly more comfortable because it is a longer bar but the rise shortens it back to normal. The extra length gives slightly more flex.

The Mary bar is a variant of the Great North Road bar which was a popular bar because of its comfort with people who rode large distances for pleasure. Upright during the week for commuting, and flipped at the weekend for rides with the lads.

edit: * unfortunately they are a hassle to fit with current mtb brakes and gears because of the limited choice of brakes.

rocketman
    Free Member

Would rather eat worms than ride a bike with an angled stem 🙂

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Gone to very low rise bars, flipped stem and no spacers to counteract (to some extend) the silly amount of travel on my front fork.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Riser bars – any point?’ is closed to new replies.