Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Ripley or Niner RIP?
  • olibluegoat
    Free Member

I rode the Ibis Ripley at the weekend. What a bike. Anyone got one and wants to share their thoughst as a great agro xc bike with 140mm fork

Anyone tried it alongside the Niner RIP?

Which is the more versatile with a 140mm fork?

Any other bikes in this category that anyone could recommend. Totally didnt think my next bike would be a 29er but the Ripley was so playful and so mcuh fun

Oli

superhooper

Can’t comment on the Niner but I also got to try a Ripley at the weekend at the Mountain Trax demo event. Of the 3 bikes I tried (Ibis HD3, Ripley and Yeti sb5c) the Ripley was the one that I thought I would like the least and in the end was the one that I really liked. It just felt so quick. Now just need to sell a kidney!

sa9000
    Free Member

I have had the Ripley with both 120mm and 140 forks, both good but prefer 140. Its a great bike fast, nimble and nothing like I expected 29″ should ride.

curvature
    Free Member

I have a Ripley with 140mm Revs.

Best bike I’ve ever had. I run it fairly lightweight so Crest rims, carbon bars, 1×10 and just love the way it rides. It’s climbing ability is brilliant.

Just need to ride it more since breaking my leg last July.

charliemort

pyga oneten with 140mm fork?

olibluegoat
    Free Member

The Pyga looks like a nice ride. Not sure ist nicer than the Niner ior Ripley.

I’m after a bike that can feel just as fun and able to do some cross country riding as well as some moderate trail riding at least able to giveconfience in riding places like cannock

Also wondering about the Camber Evo

Quite like the process 111 but not sure how well that climbs

Any other thoughts folks

Oli

richardthird

My mate rides a Ripley 140. Awesome for XC as well as everything else tbh.

r53sport
    Free Member

There are fantastic deals to be had with PYGA at the moment, please send an email over to sales@r53sport.com if you have any questions.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Has ayone ridden the RIP and how does it compare to the Ripley?

tinytim

I have a RIP9 but not ridden the Ripley

140 pikes on the front, totally awesome…

Highly recommended. Stif will do you a demo

HaydPD
    Free Member

I rode the Ripley at the Mountain Trax demo this weekend. I tried the blue one with the Pikes / 941 wheels and the Black/green one with the Fox 34s/ Arches. I also rode the Santa Cruz Tallboy 2 C and the SC 5OLO.

The blue Ripley was by the far my favourite bike. The best bike Ive ridden in fact.

I have the same problem as superhopper now. Which Kidney do I sell?

weegi
    Free Member

Can’t compare but I’m one very happy Niner RIP9 owner. Had it for 6 months now and it’s been great.
    Really suitable for trails and use an x-fusion fork so I can change it from 110 to 140mm depending on trails.

m_t_b
    Free Member

Had my Ripley in 2013 for about 4 months then sold it on as I could not get over the rear tyre contacting the seat tube when I bottomed out on jumps. Might not be an issue for some but I began anticipating it and worrying it was going to damage the frame. Tried 4 different tyres on it and spoke to Ibis to check what they run but then realised I was letting the frame dictate the size/type of tyre I could run. I was using all the travel often so this became a problem for me.
    Had a terrible creak from the suspension I sorted it after a couple hours of troubleshooting but the ongoing clicks from the cable routing I could not sort even after following all advice.

If you can sort the above and run a tyre that does not rub then it is an amazing bike. It is incredibly nimble, falls down a bit on stability when you are hitting bigger stuff. For me I had to rate it as I found it for my purposes.

dickie
    Free Member

I’ve just bought one of these;
    Switchback Unveil 9

The black ano is excellent quality. I’ve buit it up with 2015 140mm Rev’s (£227 from Alltricks)1 x10 with XT kit, a Hope Retainer ring, OneUp 42t expander & RADr cage, Hope/Crest with Nobby Nics, & a Reverb, 28lb.
    Rides nice for such a new budget build.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

I was also at the mountain trax demo day and its why ive started this thread The blue ripley was just an amazing ride, really amazing.

The RIP gives another option. Supposed to be a bit more stable on the rought stuff.

Tiny tim – how does the RIP ride on flatter terrian – still efficient and fun? As lots of the riding near me is not that rowdy i want somehting thats going to be fun on flowing / technical singletrack as well as giving the option (an confidence) to do the odd bit of semi-rowdy stuff. Dont need it to cover lift day type terrain – that beyond my capabilities. The RIPLEY felt so quick and nimble. Just wondering if the RIP would be the same?

olibluegoat
    Free Member

HaydPD. How did the black and green ripley ride with the arches. Just want to make sure it wasnt those superb carbon wheels that made the bike so amazing

HaydPD
    Free Member

Those wheels were amazing.

But the black/green bike wasn’t quite setup right. The stem was too high for me and the fox 34s needed some more air. They were very bouncy on the climbs. The black/green was a Mountain Trax demo bike whereas the blue was an IBIS bike. I felt the IBIS bike was setup much better. So it wasn’t really a fair comparison. That being said I enjoyed both demos.

The Ripley really didn’t feel like a 29er. It was so agile through the twisty stuff. It accelerated and climbed superbly. That became even more apparent riding the Tallboy straight afterwards which does feel like it has big wheels.

I’d say a great frame made better with a great set of wheels. The X01 werx build is £6.2k (gulp) so it should be good!

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Really tempted to get a frame and build it up. Did the black and green bike have the d inline – i thought that was superb

The bike just felt so nimble and you could really throw it around. It felt very confident inspiring

Just wondering if the allow RIP could have a similar feel but for half the price?

I was also thinking of the LTC but thought it looked big. Tried the 5010 and i wasnt inspired. The L was too small and the XL semed bulky

HaydPD. How tall are you. How did you find fit on the large frame? I’m 6ft and it felt alomost spot on

HaydPD
    Free Member

The black/green had the CC shock too. I agree it was excellent. Swallowed up the bumps on, what was a very rooty course.

It was the Tallboy 2 not the LTC that I rode. It felt heavy and unwieldy compared to the Ripley.

Im 5 11 and the large fit me perfectly. I’d love one but will need to sell my current bike first.

My HT is a 29er so Im thinking I could maybe share a set of 941s between a Ripley and that bike too.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Nice thinking

olibluegoat
    Free Member

I’m just nearing 6ft but i think the large with the saddle slightly further back on the rails would be spot on

roverpig

Am I right in thinking that these both have a steep HA and are designed to be run with an unfashionably long stem? Just goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat I guess.

olibluegoat
    Free Member

68 degrees with 140 fork. The test bikes were running 70mm stems on the Ripley

Felt awesome

the Ibis rep was saying that he though 70mm was about spot on in terms of stem length for a 29er – felt good to me

Oli

deanfbm
    Free Member

the Ibis rep was saying that he though 70mm was about spot on in terms of stem length for a 29er

😕

Really?

Now the positive contribution. I’ve a camber evo, 2 friends have ended up with them now, they are DHers who thought 29ers were stupid.

I do some pretty silly stuff on my camber, faster on it than some DH tracks than on my DH bike, friend also found the same at cwmcarn the other day (strava times). Don’t really feel the need for more than 120mm on the front, would definitely take away from its mile munching capability for nothing other than a small mental boost when you’re feeling uncomfortable.

No experience of the ibis or niner, just that i feel that 140mm on the front of a 29er trail bike isn’t going to add anything really in terms of capability, especially on the terrain you’re on about riding. Just spend more time out of the saddle, building confidence and strength, it’ll have a bigger and longer lasting impact (assuming you don’t already). If you really have to build in some confidence, size up in the frame, fit a shorter stem and a chunkier front tyre.

mboy
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that these both have a steep HA and are designed to be run with an unfashionably long stem? Just goes to show that there is more than one way to skin a cat I guess.

Yup and yup

The Evil The Following is the obvious choice that has been missed out so far. Slacker angles and designed around a shorter stem, the bike is getting universal praise across the pond right now, and is hitting the UK shores very soon!

olibluegoat
    Free Member

Like the sound of the Camber Evo. Need to try and get out and try one. When MBUK reviwed it they said it would be an amazing bike if it had a 130/140 fork on front. Would bring the front to more like 68 degrees which would be great on the downs

Ive demoed the ibis. Just need to find somewhere with a demo Camber Evo and demo RIP

Camber Evo has vey similar geo to the Ibis. How does it clim as FSR bikes are normally quite squishy / bob on the climbs. My stumjumper evo did anyway. Be keen to hear your thoughts

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Ripley or Niner RIP?’ is closed to new replies.