• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • RIP the British Schindler
  • theotherjonv

How many lives are owed to this one man?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33350880

jambalaya
    Free Member

Rest in Peace. An incredibly modest man too.

Indeed @theotherjonv, it’s the thousands of descendants of those saved who owe their lives to him.

Bunnyhop

Just heard this sad news.
    What an amazing gentleman.

RIP

thejesmonddingo

A true gentleman and modest too.A great role model for us all.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Here is the final sentence of a speech he gave in 2007 about his hopes for the future;

people will realise its not good enough just to say “Today I have done no harm , I’ve been a good person” but should have been able to say “I was given the opportunity today and I did do some good.” Thank you.

Link to the speech (bottom of page)

chewkw
    Free Member

RIP good man.

allthepies
    Free Member

That’s some achievement.

RIP.

Smudger666

Yup – with all of the ‘veterans’ dying of old age recently, I really think more needs made of stories like this in school – I never knew this guy (or many others like him) existed until he made the news as an obit.

RIP.

Sandwich

The section of “That’s Life”is worth a watch for the number in the crowd who he saved. RIP

Squidlord
    Free Member

RIP.
    I walk past a statue of him on the way to work most days. Humbling.

jambalaya
    Free Member

The section of “That’s Life”is worth a watch for the number in the crowd who he saved. RIP

Yes an extraordinary piece of TV

@Squid where is the statue ?

pk13

I had no clue of his exploits until i caught a radio program last month. Very humble and modest gentalman. Rip

theotherjonv

Statue’s at Maidenhead railway station

Squidlord
    Free Member

Statue also at Prague Main rail station:

Some idiot pulled his glasses off earlier this year. Hope they get it fixed.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Shames us as a nation that this one bloke had to fight to save those kids.

Pigface
    Free Member

Incredible man, He was on Thats Life where the audience was made up of the people he saved, they were all adults and he didn’t know. Very moving. The reaction was incredible.

RIP

fingerbike
    Free Member

My better half’s family are here because of the Kinder Transport from Austria. So I guess you could say our little girl is also here because of people like this, for that I am forever thankful.

The Statue at Maidenhead station:

RIP Sir (Saint) Nicholas

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

You read and hear of these things and sometimes they pass you by, then you see something like that clip and you realise it’s not just a story, it really does bring home to you what he did. What a man. RIP

gordimhor

jambalaya – Member

Here is the final sentence of a speech he gave in 2007 about his hopes for the future;

people will realise its not good enough just to say “Today I have done no harm , I’ve been a good person” but should have been able to say “I was given the opportunity today and I did do some good.” Thank you.

+1
    RIP

mefty
    Free Member

A man who saw an opportunity to do something and did it. Although the statue at Prague Station is poetic licence as he never went there – that end of the operation was handled by others who are largely unheralded, despite Winton’s efforts.

irc

Although the statue at Prague Station is poetic licence as he never went there

Really? I’ve read several accounts stating he visited Prague before war broke out.

Winton was 29 when he arrived in Prague in 1938 to visit a friend, and through the British committee for Refugees from Czechoslovakia he sensed what was going on, and returned to London to organise the trains.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jul/01/british-schindler-sir-nicholas-winton-dies-aged-106

mefty
    Free Member

I didn’t say he didn’t go to Prague, just the station, and certainly he wasn’t there when children were boarding trains as he had more important stuff to do in London.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘RIP the British Schindler’ is closed to new replies.