Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • RIP Smiley Culture
  • loddrik
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12751227

His albums were always on around the house when I was a kid.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No!

colnagokid

😥

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Jeeze, that’s very sad. 😥

RIP.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_ZDPMwrPDM[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jOjZKDoo08[/video]

muggomagic

my favourite, not one for the tory boys

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24JKAGOQA2M[/video]

scaredypants

alleged drug dealer dies during police raid

every death’s sad, and all but … 😐

sweepy
    Free Member

The Police always had it in for him, always giving him ‘producers’ and what-not 🙂
    RIP him, I liked his songs

scottidog
    Free Member

every death’s sad, and all but …

he has been murdered by the state, I’d say that’s pretty sad.

curtisthecat
    Free Member

Sorry to hear this! RIP

clubber
    Free Member
    donsimon
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

Have to fall in with scaredypants on this one. 😥 Shouldn’t be celebrating the life of an alleged drug dealer…

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

How much travel would people recommend for the puritans when they finally decide to descend from the moral high ground?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Alleged , it says alleged. But yiu’ve judged him already. Hmm wonder which stereotype you are calling on…

loddrik
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

Have to fall in with scaredypants on this one. Shouldn’t be celebrating the life of an alleged drug dealer…

Here we go again, I know a fair few ‘drug dealers’ and used to be one once upon a time myself. Regardless of people’s chosen vocation, they are still human beings. And whilst middle England may find the notion of ‘drug dealing’ abhorrent, those of us who grew up in places like Liverpool, London & Glasgow etc, know that it’s a fact of life and just a job, a way to get out of having nothing in a place where deprivation and criminality is generational and endemic. I was all too familiar with that world, as was Smiley, no shame in that where we come from, just doing what is necessary…

nickf
    Free Member

just doing what is necessary

Sorry Loddrik, but I can’t let that go unchallenged. My father came from a (literally) dirt-poor background and managed to get out without resorting to crime of any sort. There are huge numbers of people who could tell similar stories.

You may feel you had few options, and you may well be right, but necessary? Hardly.

oldgit
    Free Member

I think to many the fact he bought happiness to people with his songs and possibly missery to others with his drugs cancels one and other out.
    Didn’t know the man, could have been good and then again might have not
    Sad either way

loddrik
    Free Member

No, I did have options. But up here there are huge numbers of kids up here whose dads and granddads are unemployed and have grown up around and been involved criminality, all of their peers are in the same boat, in one of the most deprived cities in Europe, with no jobs and nothing to aspire to. Its not a case of simply turn away from it, it’s all that they know. Hooray for your dad, he must be wonderful, but when you come from places like Norris green, croxteth, Peckham, glasgows east end etc, opportunities aren’t really there, and everyone around you is the doing the same thing, that’s what you’re gonna end up doing.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

.Besides. I’m not reading stories in the Mail about the ‘misery’ that cocaine causes

scaredypants

Being a “drug dealer” is a matter of conscience, I guess

As is whether or not to grieve their passing. Course, I didn’t know him like you did loddrik.

loddrik
    Free Member

Pretty sure I didn’t mention anything about grief…

Besides, if we want a debate on the rights and wrongs of selling drugs, maybe we should do it on another thread…

konabunny
    Free Member

…like the one a couple of days ago.

Stabbed himself to death? That’s “remarkable”.

I hope we can expect a decent investigation from the IPCC.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Sounds like he was killed by himself

Because the article says he died from self-inflicted wounds ? If this is true, it would be quite remarkable I reckon. People have usually thought quite a long time about suicide before they go ahead and do it. You would have thought that he had other things on his mind, and that he was somewhat distracted, when the police turned up to arrest him – for him to think “this is a good time to commit the suicide I’ve been thinking of doing”.

On a completely pointless trivia note – the incident occurred up the road from me and I was in fact driving down his road on Sunday.

clubber
    Free Member

No because the other articles I read had a bit more detail and suggest that the police allowed him to go and make a cup of tea at which point he stabbed himself.

No one can be certain of the truth just from reading media reports. I just think it’s stupid to automatically assume that the police stabbed him (a pretty messy crime that forensics would likely be able to see through) when the simple explanation that he killed himself is more plausible. All IMO of course.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I wonder how many of those who berate drugs are off to the pub/off licence sometime this week to get their fix. I’m pretty convinced that the biggest problem drugs present are by-products of prohibition.

It’s a shame he died must be a pretty bad situation to kill yourself by stabbing.

konabunny
    Free Member

I assume (based on thin air) that the substance of the drug supply allegations will come out in the coming months – because OB/CPS will want to show what a naughty person he was and/or because his co-accused’s trial (he was on conspiracy charges – I’m assuming that there must have been co-conspirators who will still be prosecuted).

Dobbo

I assume (based on thin air) that the substance of the drug supply allegations will come out in the coming months – because OB/CPS will want to show what a naughty person he was and/or because his co-accused’s trial (he was on conspiracy charges – I’m assuming that there must have been co-conspirators who will still be prosecuted).

I totally agree, the way these police thugs smashed into his house and stabbed him to death is a total disgrace, there’s no way he had any involvement with supplying drugs or has ever done anything wrong.
    The police force needs disbanding to prevent any more of these atrocities and the government should be dissolved because they are ultimately responsible for the death of Smiley. Mr Cultures blood is on Cameron’s hands.

clubber
    Free Member

You know, Dobbo, if your post had been by some other STW posters, I’d have taken that as serious 😉

konabunny
    Free Member

Dobbo: what exactly in my post do you object to?

(Apart from my inability to proofread which meant that the words “will take place” are missing from between the closing parenthesis and the full stop. Shocking).

donsimon
    Free Member

Here we go again, I know a fair few ‘drug dealers’ and used to be one once upon a time myself. Regardless of people’s chosen vocation, they are still human beings. And whilst middle England may find the notion of ‘drug dealing’ abhorrent, those of us who grew up in places like Liverpool, London & Glasgow etc, know that it’s a fact of life and just a job, a way to get out of having nothing in a place where deprivation and criminality is generational and endemic. I was all too familiar with that world, as was Smiley, no shame in that where we come from, just doing what is necessary…

My apologies, I hadn’t realised that drug dealing was both legally and morally acceptable and that this was simply a troll.

allthepies
    Free Member

Smiley who ?

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

loddrik – Member

You are 50 Cent and I claim my five pound note!

Listen here, I was brought up in a cul-de-sac, there really was only one way out.

donsimon
    Free Member

Listen here, I was brought up in a cul-de-sac, there really was only one way out.

Nah! Kick the fence in, nick your neighour’s car and a wad of cash before kicking the sh1t out of him and drive through enveryone’s back gardens would also be seen as perfectly acceptable too.

samuri
    Free Member

I was in fact driving down his road on Sunday.

Telling us doesn’t corroborate your alibi you know Ernie.

yunki
    Free Member

My apologies, I hadn’t realised that drug dealing was both legally and morally acceptable and that this was simply a troll.

on the morality bit.. I think drug dealing is only frowned upon by those who follow a certain moral compass..

what’s acceptable to hardworking joe bloggs who likes a bevvy and beats his wife.. is going to be different to hardworking joe bloggs who’s morality is a hangover from his churchgoing ancestors.. is going to be different from underclass joe bloggs who looks down his nose at the hardworking consumerist sheeple next door.. is going to be different to the hardworking middle england pot-smoking finance manager.. is going to be different to.. ad nauseum.. do you people never get out..?

just because your moral compass is the same as the law and the national press.. doesn’t automatically make it absolutely correct..

rip smiley.. loved your music as a kid and will be digging some out later to enjoy on this beautiful sunny day..

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Where this thread has gone

😯

donsimon
    Free Member

yunki, dear yunki, I’m not sure that I can accept your explanation.

oldgit
    Free Member

You are 50 Cent and I claim my five pound note!

I wouldn’t, it’s probably been up his nose 😉

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Who?

yossarian
    Free Member

What did you deal loddrik?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘RIP Smiley Culture’ is closed to new replies.