Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)
  • rip off cafes-name and shame!
  • bobbyspangles

dagnabbit!

how do these people get away with charging what they do for the god awful food that they seem to serve?
    i feel strapped to a barrel sometimes being force fed their rubbish while a maniacal business owner whips me with a sock full of the fat profits that they have made from over charging and under serving the gullible sheep we seem to have become when it comes to consuming.

baskets!

i give you and example:

the national herb centre-warmington.

£6 for a pannini i.e posh toastie.
    This was served up to my surprise as an extremely thin what i can only describe as ‘bread cigarillo’! 1 tomato sliced like the garlic slicing scene in Goodfellas, half a teaspoon of darkly dubious pesto with 1 pathetically roasted pepper peeked half drowned outside of my arse of a sandwich.

have you ever experienced a truly awful cafe? i bet you have….

matt_outandabout

the national herb centre

trail_rat
    Free Member

Dishwater coffee from a popular scottish trail centre controversial cafe

No price could justify the stuff :/

monogramman
    Free Member

Local Cafe Nero.

Crap food, Miserable service, overpriced. I wanted to get out of there asap!

Hateful place.

Houns

Dare I say the woodbine, the cake is a rip off!

LeeW

The most miserable staff I’ve ever come across is those at the Halfpenny Green vineyard cafe/restaurant. Service is pretty cack too.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Woodbine cafe here too, very miserable woman in charge and it’s not that good.

The women at sherwood pines cafe, don’t mind paying a bit more for the convenience but when I give my £tenner to a woman who looks like she’s been licking piss of a nettle. So miserable

RustySpanner

Bit controversial, but Pete’s Eats:

Sometimes good, mostly awful, depending on which 6th former is manning the George Foreman.

Last time it was chips like a corpse’s fingers, cold beans, sausages that a starving dog would have curled it’s lip at, swimming in grease and served with burnt toast.

And no caff, anywhere should serve that horrible, synthetic cheese substitute nonsense.

Go five minutes up the road and try Y Caban at Brynrefail – superb.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Poooh the one on the road from kirroughtree. To dunfries by the sea. Like a wooden shed

Wouldnt have eaten a scabby horse that day after 10@ kirro but i couldnt eat that pish

uwe-r
    Free Member

Pete’s eats is a bit like some sort of youth project. My last visit featured decent beans on toast with the worst cup of tea I will ever have in my life.

uwe-r
    Free Member

Double post aka an IPad post. Soz

AlasdairMc

Green Welly in Tyndrum is a big disappointment, especially compared to the Real Food Cafe.

carlos
    Free Member

Conway Falls Cafe Nr Penmachno > Bacon sarnies served on tissue paper thin bread.

On a plus note, I love the cafe @ The Roman Lakes in Marple.

davesmate
    Free Member

Pete’s eats is a victim of it’s own success. Used to be great when hardly anyone went there, probably still is on a wet Tuesday in November. Go any weekend between April and September though and it’s far too busy to operate at anything like a decent standard.

project
    Free Member

little chef, huge bills, making pancakes from a cream coloured mix deposited from a gallon container,

pancakes cooked on the same hotplate as fried food,

almost everything in the microwave,

dirty uniforms,

grotty carpets,

muddyground
    Free Member

Urban Kitchen, Reigate. Slice of cake almost £3.

Mantastic
    Free Member

The cafe at the Wyre forest, two hot chocs, 1small flapjack, 2 bags of crisps. Not much change out of £10

TheSanityAssassin

Woodbine.

Overpriced food and pig-ignorant female owner.

spacemonkey

An experience at the Cwmcarn cafe made me laugh a few years ago. A mate ordered ‘burger and chips’ for something like £3.50. Sounded like a bargain until the matronly waitress delivered a handful of chips and a burger (yes, just a burger – no bap or anything else) the size of a small cookie. Oh, how we chuckled. Always best playing safe with a jacket potato in those sorts of place.

wallop

Mud Dock Cafe, Bristol. £4.25 for a bottle of Gem.

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Well now that the Conwy Falls cafe has been mentioned I think I can say that they appear on this list of a few North Wales venues to avoid, including One Planet at Llandegla too:

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-north-wales-news/mold-news/2012/04/30/more-than-400-food-outlets-rated-sub-standard-across-north-wales-55578-30866166/

Now that was just a snap shot of the situation when the man from the council visited so any of these may have sorted their venue out by now.
    It does show that you can ride on a good bacon sarnie review for too long though!

postierich
    Free Member

Trail centre cafe @ Whinlatter is top notch, good food fair price and served by delightfull young ladies!
    However Grizedale would be one to miss portions of cake are so thin and the supervisor is a battle axe after I complained!

andytherocketeer

For those thinking of hopping on a ferry to go MTBing…

DFDS Seaways cafeteria: £14.99 for fish+chips

I think I’ll take a packed lunch for dinner tyvm 😉

Pieface

I went to the Conway falls and the food was very good when I went, however the toilets were in need of re-construction!

atlaz
    Free Member

Anyone considered the possibility of NOT buying from places too expensive. I mean I assume you can ask the price up front then choose not to pay?

crazy-legs

However Grizedale would be one to miss portions of cake are so thin and the supervisor is a battle axe after I complained!

I’ve always found the new place at Grizedale to be very good. Long queues sometimes though.

Laggan cafe for me was the worst one of the trail centre cafes that I can remember. The food was actually pretty decent once the woman could be bothered stopping her conversation to come and serve me.

She was having a rant to some bloke in there (FC maybe?) about how things there were dire and how she was struggling by, I was thinking “well come and serve me, I’m standing here trying to give you money” Even when she was serving me she carried on her rant to him. So rude.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

peaslake stores!

brew is ok but there sandwiches are TONK as is the famous cheese sticks!

Rorschach
    Free Member

It does show that you can ride on a good bacon sarnie review for too long though!

6 years is’nt too long is it? 😆

Nipper99
    Free Member

Is Grindleford Cafe in the Peak still going? Always pre and post cragging bacon sarne and pint mug of tea. Not been for 10 years or more.

dogbert
    Free Member

£6 for a pannini i.e posh toastie.

reminds me of my mate at work, weeg as you like, hilarious guy. Goes into sandwich shop in toffy nosed area of Edinburgh, asks for a cheese and ham pannini, the wife behind the counter remarks in a condescending tone “we don’t sell cheese and ham, we can do brie and parma ham” – to which he replies “right then, i’ll have a Brie Cheese and Parma Ham Pannini……and it better be **** ing toastie” (he was ejected)

atlaz
    Free Member

peaslake stores!

I call bullshit on that. You can eat and drink like a king for a fiver and it’s mostly made on the premises. If you want cheaper you need to go a long way.

chakaping
    Free Member

peaslake stores!

I always get the samosas, they’re pretty good.

Some places mentioned here I’ve thought about visiting but will just keep on driving next time.

cheers_drive

Cwmcarn cafe and Afan cafe, the food doesn’t cost a lot but the 1980’s school canteen food should be 1980’s school prices. Stupid when the Glyncorrwg cafe (both the old and new owners) show how good these places can me.

puddings
    Free Member

cafe at Saddlescombe Farm on the south downs way. Cake and cookies are barely edible and extremely expensive (£2.50 for a cookie last summer) with slop for the coffee and tea. Avoid at all costs

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Nipper99 – Member

Is Grindleford Cafe in the Peak still going? Always pre and post cragging bacon sarne and pint mug of tea. Not been for 10 years or more.

Yep but the miserable old git who ran it and stuck all the warning notices has pegged, he was the best entertainment in the area. Cafe still there and still open -run by a nice bunch and food/cost ok.

Bunnyhop

The ‘Conwy Falls cafe’ has changed hands and was really quite good when we visited last year, however I don’t know if that report was made out before or after we ate there.

Agree about the ‘Woodbine’ in Hope. Over priced and that awful women who runs it needs to go on a customer care course.

Agree with Carlos – the new cafe at the ‘Roman Lakes’ is lovely, although the service is often a little slow at certain times.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Ooops -double post!

Kevevs
    Free Member

you could always refuse to pay for it if you thought it was that bad.

Goz
    Free Member

Pete’s Eats, best for stale cake and stewed tea.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 101 total)

The topic ‘rip off cafes-name and shame!’ is closed to new replies.