Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • RIP Jimmy Saville
  • monkeychild
    Free Member
    rossi46
    Free Member

He had a good innings, he became even more of a hero of mine when he ran the London Marathon.

Jims fixed a trip to heaven…..

meehaja
    Free Member

I used to love it when he’d sit on the reception desk at LGI, greeting all arrivals.

All men would get a nod and a “now then” all women would get a wink and a “love”.

Hours of “now then”, “love”, “now then, now then”, “love”.

druidh
    Free Member

Having RIP in the thread title is a bit of a spoiler.

kilo

Former Milk Race (now Tour of Britain for younger readers) rider

DezB
    Free Member

Certainly a character. “Jim’ll Fix It” must’ve been 30+years ago, but still used in everyday language.

DezB
    Free Member

Cool “‘it was good while it lasted’ on his headstone.”http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-15632264

GrahamS

Such a lovely guy. Google “Sarah Cornley”

uplink
    Free Member

He was certainly odd but I’m not sure I believe that one, it only ever goes back to the one source

convert

well known early internet hoax was it not?

GrahamS

Not sure. Remember hearing something similar when I was a lad, which, err.. pre-dates the internets 😯

DezB
    Free Member

I don’t recall ever thinking he was “lovely”. Weird, interesting, British eccentric. And a good laugh in death 🙂

hora
    Free Member

R.I.P

Markie
    Free Member

well known early internet hoax was it not?

An internet hoax, yes. A well-known internet hoax? Not convinced, given the number of people who think it was real.

GrahamS

So was the stuff about him suing The Sun for saying he visited Haut de la Garenne Children’s Home part of the same hoax or a different one?

hora
    Free Member

Nice. He was once there as part of a programme and people suddenly shit allover his character.

The Sun? I wouldn’t trust one of Murdoch’s Journalists/Editors. After all they hacked Millie Dowlers phone amongst others.

Nice.

druidh
    Free Member

I said it on a previous thread; if there was any substance to these rumours the gutter press would have been all over them by now.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’m staying out of this

ScottChegg
    Free Member

…if there was any substance to these rumours the gutter press would have been all over them…

Why? They didn’t drag all the obvious scandal up when Cyril Smith died.

It was all ‘what a top bloke’ and none of the spanking-little-boys-taking-money-from-asbestos-factory-in-constituency.

The dead can’t sue, so they just let them go.

hora
    Free Member

if there was any substance to these rumours the gutter press would have been all over them by now.

Exactly. Instead of whispers.

GrahamS

Well IF it was in The Sun and then the courts (and to be clear, I’ve no idea if it was or not) then that suggests that it wasn’t left alone by the gutter press.

However, looking at The Sun’s eulogies of him now I do doubt that they’ve painted him as a villain before.

DezB
    Free Member

Blimey, I just thought it was funny that he wanted his coffin at 45degrees!

Cougar

I’ve said this before, but, easy target. Eccentric, likes children, must be a kiddie fiddler.

Re: the Sarah Cornley ‘rumour,’ it is of course totally unsubstantiated. I found a commentary which gives a bit of background.

http://everything2.com/title/The+Dark+Side+of+Jimmy+Savile

Short version, it was an email meme around the turn of the millennia, without any sort of corroborating evidence other than a couple of conspiracy theories.

hora
    Free Member

Folk took the piss out of Jeremy Beadle (because he was no Hasseloff to look at probably mainly) but he raised £100m for charity.

Yes there was the hand but how he dealt with adversity and rose above it 🙂

GrahamS

The trouble is – according to sources – a huge chunk of the middle section of the email is fabricated.

So not all of it then? 😕

hora
    Free Member
    bigthunder
    Free Member

I liked JS due to his love of Glencoe. He had a nice house there which you pass on your way to FW. Thought Danny Megaskill impersonating him in one of his vids was funny as well. He kept the gold tracksuit on when they all went out later!

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Certainly a character. “Jim’ll Fix It” must’ve been 30+years ago, but still used in everyday language.

There’s a ‘Jim’ll Mix It’ cement firm near me. See the lorries about quite a bit. There’s a certain poignancy about them now…

billysugger
    Free Member

RIP Jimbo

Just seen a woman on the news who looked disappointed when she found out his coffin wasn’t made from gold. Ha, they nick metals from war memorials round ere.

DezB
    Free Member

I didn’t realise he owned a cement company as well. Cool.

nealglover
    Free Member

The dead can’t sue, so they just let them go.

Seems like some flawed logic there ?
    Seems to suggest that the only reason a newspaper would print a scandal about about a Celebrity is so they can get sued over it
    :confused: ?

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Definitely was different no problem with that but how can this be justified.

TPTcruiser

Jim, and his minders, passed me during the Newport Half Marathon some years ago, serious shoulder roll style of running.
    The Grauniad website mentioned he would be buried with his coffin at 45 degrees so he could see the sea! You can imagine the opportunity for comedy in getting the coffin the right way round and how deep it would have to be at the feet end, 😀

DezB
    Free Member

how can this be justified

Who’s the beardy fella?

verses

Who’s the beardy fella?

Peter Sutcliffe

hora
    Free Member

Looks like Action man after he left the force.

bigthunder
    Free Member

Jimmy Saville was entertainment manager at Broadmoor. You would think big Frank would know better though. Shouldve used the chance to stick one on sutcliffe.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘RIP Jimmy Saville’ is closed to new replies.