Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • RIP Henry, what now?
  • granny_ring

It’s been 18 long and to be fair not used a great deal years….
    It started and sounded like it needed emptying, ended up it wasn’t that full.
    Brushed the filter started up ok stopped it, went to start again and diddly squat. Changed fuse but nowt.
    After that I’m lost.

Borrowed neighbours Dyson but not that fussed by it. Don’t want to spend loads, tempted to get another Henry but guess hoovers now aren’t
    as powerful as a few years ago.
    Anything else recommended that doesn’t cost the earth?

SaxonRider

I just bought two Henrys for different places. Stick with Henry.

km79
    Free Member

RIP Henry.

pondo

Henry is a shit hoover – you can do better, raise your hoovering aspirations and celebrate his death. I am.

kormoran
    Free Member

get the Numatic, same as henry but has slightly wider wheelbase so it’s more stable. Sposed to be the commercial version of our ‘enry

badnewz
    Free Member

Looks like our ‘Enry had an issue with the dickhead dust…surprised he lasted that long.

P-Jay
    Free Member

18 years is a bloody good innings for any hoover, even a part-time one.

Just buy another ‘for now’ and have a proper think about it in 2035.

granny_ring

Basic and simple, bit like myself. Done the job tho.
    Dyson felt too gadgety and sure I’d end up breaking something on it.

Pook

Miele cat and dog

rj2dj
    Free Member

Miele C3. You won’t miss Henry.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Seeing the title, was trying to think of a Henry on the death list.

gnusmas

Go green with an upgrade from Henry to George? Or a pink Hetty if that takes your fancy!

P-Jay
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with George, he’s okay but the switch from wet to dry is a virtual rebuild and it leaves you with loads of stuff to store.

maccruiskeen

If you like them then theres nothing much to them to go wrong – a motor and a switch to turn it on and off. Replacement motors are cheap and a doodle to fit.

boxelder

Beware the crappy copies being flogged from Eastern Europe – but don’t blame our Polish friends, these are Slovak……………

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Miele cat and dog

Another vote here. When the air powered head gets full of fur I strip it down and reassemble. Piece of p1ss and very powerful. The only vacuum I’ve had that manages to pick up all pet fur. Dyson are crud.

granny_ring

Looks like the Miele is more than I want to spend.
    What did you replace yours with pondo?

Another thing is I don’t want to have bags to replace.
    The better half says she would prefer an upright hoover as she finds using the Henry cumbersome.

retro83
    Free Member

The new 2017 Henrys are half the wattage of the originals, are they still good?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

The Prison Service use Henry’s (or derivatives) which are designed to be used by prisoners who DGAF.
    Get another Henry. (or derivative thereof)

survivor

kelvin

tempted to get another Henry but guess hoovers now aren’t as powerful as a few years ago.

Nonsense, they have to consume less power, not have a less powerful action.
    The new Numatics, such as the updated Henry, are just less wasteful and quieter than the old versions.
    The new motors are great.
    Buy a modern machine, and change the newspapers you read.

granny_ring

Remember seeing a thread on here a year or two ago saying the motors had a lower wattage under eu ruling I think?

badnewz
    Free Member

Remember seeing a thread on here a year or two ago saying the motors had a lower wattage under eu ruling I think?

Yep, it also has a big impact on Dysons, which is why Sir James suddenly became a big Brexiteer.

spooky_b329

One of these:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/karcher-1000w-17ltr-wet-dry-vacuum-cleaner-240v/91431

Its a garage vacuum, you can plug power tools into it and it turns on when you start the tool. On the few occasions I’ve used it in the house, its knocked socks off the regular hoover. (I’m not sure why I’d plug the iron into it, I suppose you could switch it to blow to help dry the clothes 🙂 )

Only advice would be to get the bags, they are huge and last ages, and it saves the K&N style filter from getting clogged up.

(I suppose the downside is its a bit tall, and the cord is only about 5 metres long)

twonks

We’ve had the Miele cat n dog, a few Dysons, good ol Hoover senior, some VAX thing.

Have 2 cats and a dog.

Been using a Henry for 18 months and have no desire to change.

The Miele in particular was rubbish.

nuke

15 year old Dyson DC08 here…been impressed with how i can get spare parts for it. The motor gave up the other week and have a new motor arriving today. Gave it a full strip down yesterday and, with new filters, should be good for another few years for the sum of <£30 (motor & filters)…the modern Trigger’s broom

granny_ring

Wonder if it’s worth looking into getting a new motor…..I’ll have a butchers.

granny_ring

Nope.

gnusmas

Miele C2 cat and dog is on offer at Argos for £129.99 at the moment

Product id 724/1824

unovolo
    Free Member

I had a Miele once, a very sleek upright thing they brought out for a while.
    Died in less than a year of normal use.
    Had the original dyson DC01 prior to that think that lasted two years.

Bought a cheap Philips drag along from TJ Hughes which lasted longer and worked better than both the above.

When that died went for a James(Henrys little yellow brother)still waiting for it to die, even then they are rebuildable for a price.
    Main thing that annoys me with them is the lack of onboard tool storage.

granny_ring

Get what you’re saying about the tool storage on them, it is a pain at times.
    Had a quick look for motor and seems to be £70odd -90odd for a new motor?

gnusmas

£40.38 from espares,

http://www.espares.co.uk/product/es1667584/compatible-numatic-henry-vacuum-motor-class-f?pageNumber=1&PartTypeId=1574&ManufacturerId=531

Quick search showed them from £29 upwards depending on the model.

Is it the motor or the brushes inside that have gone?

granny_ring

gnusmas, thanks for that link. I’ve used them before for our old cooker so I will have a look cheers.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Was going to say the sam, probably just the brushes.

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you where happy with the Henry buy another. We bought one of the new Bosch hooevrs to the lower power EU standard and imo it’s crap and takes double the time.

andyl
    Free Member

Miele for the house, Karcher for everything else. Check out the Karcher outlet and get the larger one not the small one.

Inbred456
    Free Member

Put a new set of brushes in and enjoy another 18 yrs.

funkmasterp

We got a Vax upright cyclone pet hair thing from Currys about five years ago. It’s insanely powerful and still going strong after years of abuse

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Boost 29” Henry, d’uh

RustySpanner

We got a George.
    Very good cleaner, but:

Too big, no auto rewind, falls over a lot, extention tube loose from new.
    Wife absolutely hates it, I quite like it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘RIP Henry, what now?’ is closed to new replies.