Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • RIP FiveTens
  • docgeoffyjones

After 10 years my Low impacts have finally given up the ghost any recomendations for flat pedal shoes and where is a good place to get them from?

thanks

Andy

BoardinBob

any recomendations for flat pedal shoes and where is a good place to get them from

Five Tens
    From a bike shop

nigew
    Free Member

10 years!!!

I can usually eek 18 months out of a pair.

Just buy another pair.

solamanda
    Free Member

You need to ride more!

andybrad

I got about 18 months out of my lows and less than 12 out of my vxi’s 🙁

trying the am7 next.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

2FOs
    Bike shop

br
    Free Member

10 years!!!

I can usually eek 18 months out of a pair.

Mine are also circa 10 y/o and are used most weeks, I reckon they made them better then.

ahwiles
    Free Member

they really didn’t.

unless ‘better’ means ‘made of paper’…?

(which is true, mine were actually made from paper, actual paper.)

mrlugz
    Free Member

I reckon they arent as well made now.

I have a 4yr old pair of freeriders that are still wearable, but the sole of may last pair has come away already. Bought september.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My last pair were 6 months old when the cardboard missile went soggy and the sole (yes, the sole) started soaking up water.

Moved to teva which are great, but out of production.

Northwind

My impacts had the build quality and lifespan of a supermarket trainer.

For the OP- there’s a new Impact, the VXI. It’s been well reviewed but IMO it’s orrible- sticky and better made but no feel whatsoever, they’re like foot anaesthetic. They made a Sam Hill Signature version, he refused to wear it! So maybe worth checking that out but approach with caution, I sold mine on after 2 rides as they were just… urgh.

6079smithw
    Free Member

My Answer Flatfoots are still going, bought in 2002

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

My Answer Flatfoots are still going, bought in 2002

Grey or blue?

I ripped the soles off about five pairs of the blue ones. Ace shoes, though.

blairc70
    Free Member

Adidas Terrex Trial Cross, better life than 5 10, dry quick, grippier walking and almost as grippy on pedals

beano68
    Free Member

Mine lasted 6 months as the seams fell apart and the soles went paper thin !! never buy again

andysredmini
    Free Member

I have some fiveten camp 4 approach shoes which I have found better than any of the special looking mtb shoes them make. They are about 8 years old and don’t show any signs of dying in the near future. They also dry quickly unlike most of the mtb shoes.

MadBillMcMad

If you dry them properly when they get wet they will last.

Mine are 7 years old & just starting to die.

Get another pair.

Alex

Freeriders have lasted two winters. Look like they’ve been mauled by lions but still holding up. Recently bought some Five Ten Freerider Canvas which are the comfiest shoes ever, but don’t feel that robust compared to the free riders. Lighter tho and nicer to wear. Also have some spitfires which I only occasionally use on the bike but again they are like slippers..

I gave up with the old 5-10 hi’s as in the UK climate, they are wear one day allow 19 days to dry before they can be worn again…

docgeoffyjones

Thanks everyone.
    When i brought mine they only made these or high tops so i was wondering what all the other stuff was like and if they were still the best.

You need to ride more!

I ride plenty i just don’t ride in the rain.

ahwiles
    Free Member

docgeoffyjones – Member
    i was wondering…if they were still the best.

they were the best when nothing else was available, now they’re just one choice among many.

for example: yes they’re very grippy, some people like that, some people find it annoying (they like moving their feet on the pedals).

rs
    Free Member

trying the am7 next.

😆

shimano shoes are on a par with vxi’s in terms of durability.

I went from original impacts which last many years to the shimano flats, last maybe two seasons, vxi’s lasted about 18 months, just picked up a pair of sam hill’s but they feel too heavy, considering keeping them for winter and getting some specialized for the summer.

Hadge
    Free Member

Any DC shoes cut the mustard or are they not worth using?

docgeoffyjones

fiveten camp 4 approach shoes

Thanks for the tip but these look like Geography teachers shoes. I’m out

deadkenny
    Free Member

Still some life in those shoes I reckon. Bit of tape or glue and sorted 😀

10 years though! As above, wrecked a pair of Impacts in a couple of years. Similar to above photo but worse. Just rotted away and not an option for resoling.

Though they were caked in mud most of the time and left in the back of the car to bake 😉

Got a replacement pair, but moved onto the Freerider Elements and generally wear them now. They’re showing signs of distress after a couple of years though.

hora
    Free Member

Buy Sombrios much better RIP Sombrios 🙁

docgeoffyjones

Still some life in those shoes I reckon. Bit of tape or glue and sorted

Already glued. This thread is my plan B

mrsfry
    Free Member

Will you give them a viking funeral in your local duck pond or build a funeral pyre in your front garden. You can’t just put them in the bin after all the years you had together 🙁

6079smithw
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    Grey or blue?

Grey! Didn’t even know there were blue ones

docgeoffyjones

Will you give them a viking funeral in your local duck pond or build a funeral pyre in your front garden. You can’t just put them in the bin after all the years you had together

Probably should. I have used enough glue to try to repair them that they will go up a treat

wrecker
    Free Member

I have AM41’s, VXi’s and those teva’s. The VXi’s are the best to ride in, the tevas are the most comfy and the shimanos are best in the rain.
    VXi’s are the go-to.

Northwind

I found my VXis roughly as nice to ride in as my trailbuilding boots 😆

mindmap3
    Free Member

Buy Sombrios much better RIP Sombrios

I’ve picked up a couple of pairs of Sombrio’s from CRC for peanuts (£20 a pair) and they’re great; comfy, grippy, descent sole for pedaling and dry quickly.

I have a pair of Giro Jackets which are pretty good too.

Teva’s are rubbish. I bought a pair of Links but they sole is so thick that you can’t feel anything and they don’t seem to grip all that well. Comfy enough for wearing though.

My old Freeriders are just about hanging on in there bur are only used on the DH bike. The grip is the best out of the riding shoes I have, but the sole has lost any stiffness it had so they’re rubbish for pedaling on proper rides and they stink. Not of dirt feet, but of rotten fabric where they haven’t dried well.

scaredypants

Still some life in those shoes I reckon. Bit of tape or glue and sorted

Agree – those look better than mine

wysiwyg
    Free Member

My Vxis have 8 week of riding under their belt. Soles are thru.

daver27
    Free Member

My Freerider Vxi Elements are ace, pedal pins punctured the sole and they bubbled up, but a bit of shoe glue fixed that and they soldier on. best flat pedal shoes i’ve ever used, and i’ve had a few sets…

keen on the Addidas ones though..

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘RIP FiveTens’ is closed to new replies.