• This topic has 32 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Ring stuck on pregnant wifes finger
  • marcus
    Free Member

How 'hard' is platinum and can you cut it with a junior hacksaw.

firestarter
    Free Member

nip down to local fire station they will have ring cutters in the first aid pack. not sure on how hard it is if they struggle they can always cut the hand off 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

You can cut flesh with a junior hacksaw, done it loads of times 🙂

iDave
    Free Member

get some thread through, wind round finger a dozen or so times on end of finger side of ring, fairy liquid/shampoo on finger, then unwind the thread from the other side of the ring – it'll come off then

sofatester
    Free Member

Phew!

After reading the title of this thread i was expecting the worst 😯

mogrim

😯

I take it you've tried washing up liquid?

samuri
    Free Member

Cutting the ring off won't stop her being married to you.
    You got her pregant now live with the responsibilities.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

as idave said, my wife was freaking out two weeks ago, fingers like sausages

just get some electrical tape wrap it tight behind the ring, (fist knuckle side) leave it overnight then get some butter and it will come off.

my god the above sounds dodgy!

theotherjonv

immerse her hand in very cold water to close the capillaries and remove the swelling, might free it just enough.

klutz
    Free Member

Try aqueous cream, and possibly lightly icing the finger (obviously not for too long)!

marcus
    Free Member

She / We have tried all the wrap it in tape / cold hand / vaseline / etc combinations.

I'm amazed shes agreeing to let me have a go with a saw. if I catch her with the blade, a bit a pain will be good preparation for child birth.

iDave
    Free Member

can't she just leave it on, you know, admit she's married?

firestarter
    Free Member

if your cutting go to the fire station mate. the proper ring cutter will cut it and no chance of cutting her

Macavity
    Free Member

A decent pair of side cutters will snip through it easily.

Cougar

I'd tell her that one of the best ways to reduce swelling in fingers is to give you a J Arthur. It might take a few attempts, though.

pikey999
    Free Member

As above fire station proper cutter makes it easier for a jeweler to repair also it will give the lads chance for the old joke where they reappear with the car cutting gear or a large axe!

firestarter
    Free Member

pikey we did that when we had to cut a nipple ring from a lad who had an infection. little did we know it would prob have caused less mess if we had used the holmatro car gear lol.

myheadsashed

Use the same lube you used when you made her pregnant 😉

matthewjb
    Free Member

Local A&E will have a ring cutter that won't cut her finger.

And it will be easier to repair with a cleaner cut.

{Speaks from experience}

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Why does she need to take it off, hasn't she told you some thing?

How bad is her swelling? Lots of swelling can be dodgy so should be checked out with GP.

My wife swelled up 2 weeks or so before giving birth and then lost it within a couple of days

edenshawbay
    Free Member

Onzadog
    Free Member

How much discomfort would she be willing to put up with?

Ice the whole hand to reduce swelling and numb it somewhat.
    Thread some string in a needle through the ring.
    Hold her hand on the edge of a desk.
    hold the two ends of the thread tight and then make circles around her finger to creep the ring down the finger. Leaves the ring and the hand in one piece.

That's how they used to get rings off visitor who used to stay where my grandfather worked. 😉

Earl_Grey

As macavity said – decent side cutters will have it off. My wife's wedding ring got stuck on when she was pregnant and we used these. A jeweller was able to solder the ring.

She was gutted though and it felt odd to be breaking the ring but we're sentimental sods.

fubar
    Free Member

Speaking from (an expensive) experience…A&E will really struggle cutting platinum rings and make a right dogs dinner of it.
    Ladies and Gents…removing rings before riding is a good idea!

dr_death
    Free Member

Very hard and a bastard to cut. One of the departments I used to work in had a diamond bladed electric ring cutter which could chew through anything but got very hot.

The best way to do it without damaging the ring is the method outlined above by iDave. It's the method I always try and use to save peoples rings. 2/0 silk or ethilon suture is the best thing to use…..

matthewjb
    Free Member

Speaking from (an expensive) experience…AE will really struggle cutting platinum rings and make a right dogs dinner of it.

They cut through my Wife's platinum ring in about 30 seconds.

fubar
    Free Member

I guess some A&E depts are better equipped than others for this then..I'm not sure what he was using but the guy trying to remove my wifes platinum engagement and platimum wedding rings worked up a good sweat trying to cut them off. They were pretty messy when finished but luckily the insurance coughed up.

matthewjb
    Free Member

but the guy trying to remove my wifes platinum engagement and platimum wedding rings worked up a good sweat trying to cut them off.

Perhaps there are different tools. This was a 1 inch diameter cutting wheel with a guard that fitted under the ring to protect the finger. As I said it was very quick.

It looked a bit like this:

Jujuuk68
    Free Member

Have you tried ibuprofenor some other anti inflamatory to reduce swelling, as well as the lube/cold action?

bruneep

Don't turn up at our fire station we don't have ring cutters.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

Try ibrupofen gel, reduce swelling and will act as a lube to get the ring off

firestarter
    Free Member

bruneep tut tut all brigades are behind west yorks lol

Drac

Try ibrupofen gel, reduce swelling and will act as a lube to get the ring off

Errr! I guess you know her medical history and how she's been through out her pregnancy.

Pop to Minor Injuries Unit and they'll help you out. (I should have that on my clipboard)

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Ring stuck on pregnant wifes finger’ is closed to new replies.