Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Rims – Strong, light and cheap(ish)
  • themightymowgli
    Free Member

I’m looking at replacing my Mavic eX729 rims. They are outstanding rims IMO but they are heavy. I’ve had them 4 years now from second hand and they’ve stayed true (almost)throughout.
    So please recommend me a rim as strong but noticeably lighter. Just not the silly money jobbies.
    Thanks

Liftman

Strong, light, cheap – pick any two, you can’t have all three

mikey74
    Free Member

Spank Subrosa Evo 30? I have some and they are fantastic.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

[Strong, light, cheap – pick any two]
    I thought that was a myth reserved for men with controversial moustaches. 🙂

monkeyboyjc

not exactly cheap still but… 46% off so almost bogof
    Stans ZTR 355

sambob
    Free Member

Arch EX aren’t outrageously expensive.

Speshpaul

mavic 319 disc, have a look. 😉

nwill1
    Free Member

Cheap…light…subjective, what sort of price and weight? Mavic EN 521 £37, EN 321 £30

seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Mavic 319 look ok. I think I might be building my next wheels with them

chrism110
    Free Member

[list]i’ve got 319’s on my boardman pro ht and im not light at 17 stone + lol i’ve had not trouble with them

chiefgrooveguru

How inexpensive? EX721 or Flows but they’re not cheap, just not silly money.

chakaping
    Free Member

A rim as strong as a 729 but lighter, and it’s got to be cheap? You don’t ask for much do you?

What sort of riding are you doing?

themightymowgli
    Free Member

Sorry I should have said, I’m looking at rims up to £100 each.

A quick search on the 721’s sounds promising

stoney
    Free Member

My 719s have been excellent over the last 2 1/2 years, theyve withstood all that the north lakes can throw at them, you`ll get a pair for £100.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

So please recommend me a rim as strong but noticeably lighter

There isnt one.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

riding all over, regular at the Quantocks, Mendips and the Welsh centers with annual Scottish pilgrimage. Roots n Rocks is what I like as opposed to Road gaps and 10ft drops. Got a long-travel-hardtail. XC-Freeride-DH-with added mince? Dunno what you call it…..

GW
    Free Member

Not sure which will be strongest* in each situation but 721s are definitely stiffer than Flows, something you should notice coming from 729s.

*Some have reported Flows to ding less.

angryratio
    Free Member

flows weigh more than the earths core..
    729’s are about as heavy as you want to go on a bike you want to still pedal upwards occasionally.

I’d stick with the 729’s and get some faster rolling rubber.

mikey74
    Free Member

I know people who use Spank Subrosas on both their DH and XC bikes. I use them for DH although they are significntly lighter than the Sun Singletracks they replaced.

honourablegeorge

GW – Member
    Not sure which will be strongest* in each situation but 721s are definitely stiffer than Flows, something you should notice coming from 729s.

They should be – 721s are 590g to the Flows 470

tomhoward

£100 an end will get you any non cf rim, not too sure about weight but mavic 823? Save a spot of weight going tubeless?

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I’m getting the feeling that maybe if it’s not broke blah, blah and that i should man-up

Northwind

Do you really need that sort of strength? 729s are kinda ridiculous for most folks. (though, I found mine really soft, they didn’t exactly ding, I’d more call them bruises but the rims picked up little dents everywhere).

TBH you’re on a total hiding to nothing trying to find an equivalent, lightweight rim, let alone cheap. But you can probably lose a bit of strength and go to a 521 or 721 or similiar.

angryratio – Member

The earth’s core weighs under 470g? Flows are astonishingly light for their strength.

br
    Free Member

Sorry I should have said, I’m looking at rims up to £100 each.

You could buy a pair of Hope Hoops for £300 – sorted.

tommid
    Free Member

I have some Salsa Delgardo race rims 32H £25 the pair if you want them my email is in my profile…

njee20
    Free Member

729’s are about as heavy as you want to go on a bike you want to still pedal upwards occasionally.

Flows are more than 200g per rim lighter than 729s 😕

Flows would be what I’d be buying.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

I’ve had EN521’s for 3 years and have stayed totally true despite some big square edge impacts and doing a lot of rocky stuff generally. Lighter than your current rims and fairly cheap

bm0p700f
    Free Member

I have been riding 721’s for years and they are very good. The only issue I have with them is the wheel was built. However since I have learnt to build wheels myself I have rebuilt with proper spokes and they no longer have any issues. Fantiastic rims.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

It’s interesting no other company’s were really mentioned. A couple of cheeky Spanks but other wise Mavic’s all the way

mikey74
    Free Member

Both the Spanks were mine 8)

But honestly, they are great rims, and only 50g heavier than the Flows @ 520g. Plus they look quite pimpy and you don’t see many of them around.

Sun EQ 29 rims look pretty good and going by the longevity of my Singletracks, they are pretty well made.

themightymowgli
    Free Member

I can do pimp…. 🙂

GW
    Free Member

Alex Supra D good alternative to 721!

721 no weaker than 729 in most situations for me

nick1962
    Free Member

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
    Can you get rims a strong as 729 but significantly lighter? Some say lighter rims/wheels make little difference anyway 🙂
    Does rotational weight make that much difference?

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Rims – Strong, light and cheap(ish)’ is closed to new replies.