Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rims – DT Swiss 4.2 or Stans Olympic?!
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Sorry – more questions about wheels!

Currently looking at buying a wheelset, two options I have are DT Swiss 240s hubs on either DT Swiss 4.2 rims or on Stans Olympic.

Which are better, considering I’m probably going to run tubes (I’ve never had a puncture so don’t think tubeless would be of any benefit to me)

I’d appreciate your views!

Cheers.

schmiken

Olympics, definitely.

mboy
    Free Member

Stans, but run tubeless (you will benefit from it!)

Or Mavic if you insist on running tubes. DT rims are a royal PITA!

Dougal
    Free Member

+1 for the Olympics. 2 years on mine only have a few scratches on them. Mate has a set of 4.2s, they seem rather cheese like in comparison and are about to be replaced after an almost identical purchase date to my olympics.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks mboy – what’s the advantage of tubeless if I don’t get flats anyway? (Really don’t know)

Don’t have the choice of Mavics – I’ve been offered a wheelset with 4.2s or Olympics – would Olympics be ok if I did want to run tubes?

mboy
    Free Member

MountainMonkey – Member

Thanks mboy – what’s the advantage of tubeless if I don’t get flats anyway? (Really don’t know)

Don’t have the choice of Mavics – I’ve been offered a wheelset with 4.2s or Olympics – would Olympics be ok if I did want to run tubes?

Yeah they’d be ok, but really, no point.

Advantages of tubeless, well… You’ve just jinxed yourself now by saying “I don’t get punctures”, you are aware of that right? Next ride, you’re going to get one now 😉

The main advantage is losing the tube means no pinch punctures, but running sealant in a tubeless system also seals thorn punctures too etc. Tubeless means you lose the weight of the inner tube too, so it’s marginally lighter, and it’s rotational weight you’re losing which is more beneficiary than losing weight off the rest of the bike. Allows you to run lower pressures for more grip too without risking a puncture.

bigrich

who makes stans rims?

mboy
    Free Member

bigrich – Member

who makes stans rims?

The clue is in the name 😉

aracer
    Free Member

The main advantage is losing the tube means no pinch punctures

I never got pinch punctures anyway – the advantage to me is the sealant preventing thorn punctures and lower rolling resistance.

bigrich

well done mboy. i assume they aint got a factory, and therefore are made in taiwan or somewhere. so my question rephrased is ‘what other brands of rims are made by the people who actually produce stans rims?’

specializedneeds

It may tell you here

BadlyWiredDog

Tubeless has lower rolling resistance and a more supple ride than the equivalent tubed tyre.

MidLifeCyclist
    Free Member

Going ghetto tubeless with standard Racing Ralphs on 4.2 rims has transformed the feel of my bike.

So ok, i’ve currently got a flat – the front has a big hole in the sidewall from a rather nasty coming together with a square edged concrete block during a trailquest but the latex sealed the hole sufficiently for me to finish without having to add anymore air.

I then did a 5 hr trailquest without repairing the tyre.

However my luck finally ran out when doing another TQ the following day – I had to stop and pump the tyre up a couple of times as it was gradually loosing pressure – but it got me home, all be it a little slower than I’d have liked.

Re thorns – when inspecting the damage to the tyre I could see that I’d picked a couple of thorns up over the last 3 months and hadn’t even noticed as there had been no loss of pressure in that time.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Nice! Thanks everyone, I’m going for the Stans. Cheers!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rims – DT Swiss 4.2 or Stans Olympic?!’ is closed to new replies.