Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rim width for Plus tyres
  • chrisps
    Free Member

Hi,

I am looking at getting a bike that is 29 and 29+ compatible (specifically http://www.traversbikes.com/russti.html).

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to run plus sized tyres and normal tyres (i.e. 2.8 and 2.2/2.3) tyres on the same rim. I presume the same would hold for 650b+ and 29+

I guess that plus needs a wider rim for support, but could you get away using say a 35mm rim or maybe even 40mm rim for 2.2 > 2.8?

Any experience?

Thanks!

scotroutes

I’m sure you can “get away” with lots but putting wide tyres on narrow rims and vise-versa isn’t going to give you an ideal profile at one each end of the spectrum.

spectabilis
    Free Member

Yeah me and a few mates are running 40mm rims and 2.4 ish tyres. They fill out nicely on the wide rims, some tread types will “square off” which is noticeable when you lean it over on the hardpack but this is my preferred set up now.

Im loving my WTB i35’s, I’ve also built a set of Spank 395’s for a mate which look sweet.

epicyclo

I always use as wide a rim as I can. I’ve been using 40mm rims on my 26er for nearly 18 years, so I can safely say they work from 2″ to 4″ ok.

(Had the rims on various bikes)

ibnchris

Out of interest OP are you going to go for the 29+ or the 29/27.5+ build? I have also pretty much decided to go ahead on a travers but am torn on whether to go 29+ or not as I think it might be tricky to get 29+ tyres in the future.

In a dream world I’d go for the 29+ and it could take 27.5+ wheels as well but not sure the horse shoe design will take it.

chrisps
    Free Member

Thanks all. Anyone got experience of plus tyres on a 35mm profile? Do they roll horribly?

@spectabilis – When you say they square off, what is the effect of this? More grip but more rolling resistance? I presume that it feels more initially “stable”, but snaps from side to side more harshly? I am thinking of doing long distance touring on these, so interested to what adverse effects on rolling resistance.

@ibnchris – The 29+ config. I would prefer the shorter stays of the 27.5+ one, but I am 6’3″ and the XL (only available in 29+) is almost identical geometry to my Salsa Spearfish, which I absolutely love. I am kind of hoping that 27.5+s will fit in there, but I didn’t specifically ask Michael that… if you haven’t emailed him before, he seems very approachable.

epicyclo

chrisps – Member
    Thanks all. Anyone got experience of plus tyres on a 35mm profile? Do they roll horribly?…

I’m currently running 2.8″ tyres on my 40 mm rims and a mate is running the same tyre on a 35mm rim. No problems.

chrisps
    Free Member

Ok, cool, thanks!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rim width for Plus tyres’ is closed to new replies.