Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rigid (singlespeed) handlebars
  • miranmtb
    Free Member

Bit of a on one fanboy I know, had fleegles for quite some time but now i find the position too low. Mery were great at first, but a bit narrow and somehow developed a bit of hand pain on longer rides. Have wide 760mm bars on geared HT and find them just fine. Thinking of going for a normal bar next. Any thoughts Knuckleball in soft version for more comfort.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I had Marys on my first rigid SS (Inbred with RC31s) and despite initial reservations, ended up really liking them.

When I built my Curtis, I put Fleegles on it and didn’t get on with them so went with some Marys and didn’t really gel with them second time around. Shoved the 780mm Renthals off my Five on it and haven’t looked back… Totally transformed the bike.

qwerty
    Free Member

Salsa ProMoto? 5,11 or 18 degrees of weirdness, 710mm wide. I got a 11′ ally pair from eBay.

http://salsacycles.com/components/category/mountain_handlebars/pro_moto_2_flat

wwaswas

Not trying to be funny but do you need a different bar just because it’s a rigid singlespeed?

Yak

Not trying to be funny but do you need a different bar just because it’s a rigid singlespeed

this.

I can’t see any reason to have a different bar for rigid singlespeed. Whatever works and fits well on your other bikes should be fine. Your bar isn’t going to give you any noticeable cushioning or anything like that. It doesn’t need to be a fancy shape, unless all your bars are a fancy shape and you prefer it.

Just pick the backsweep, rise and width you prefer and that’s it.

miranmtb
    Free Member

No, but a lot of rigid ss riders prefer alt bars to regular risers.
    Must be a beard thing :mrgreen:
    Its funny how a bar is great until you try another one and the old one just feels weird.

Keef
    Free Member

Jones H bar,ti.
    yes it does make a difference,in hand position,you also pull harder on the bars on steep climbs on a SS,and shock absorption….

julianwilson
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

Not trying to be funny but do you need a different bar just because it’s a rigid singlespeed?

I do a lot more pulling and pushing on a singlespeed handlebar as especialy round here I am out the saddle climbing/gurning a lot sooner and for a lot more of the ride than with gears.
    Although i have had a singlespeed mountain bike for five or so years and never got round to trying wierd shaped bars, going from 650ish to 710mm normal-looking/feeling risers helped a bit i suppose.

Yak

Must be me then. Tried a wiggly bar and didn’t like it (on a rigid singlespeed). So instead I stick to a standard 9 degree sweep 685mm flat bar.

No beard. 🙂

wwaswas

I do a lot more pulling and pushing on a singlespeed handlebar as especialy round here I am out the saddle climbing/gurning a lot sooner and for a lot more of the ride than with gears.

I do this on my rigid SS but I’ve never really felt the need to have my hands in a different position to my other 3 mtb’s. I did try some with a more exaggerated backsweep on a rigid geared bike but preferred a standard riser bar type shape so I’ve stuck with that.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

The Mary on my old SS felt ‘right’ but I tried it on my Soul which I had at the time and it felt all kinds of wrong.

TiRed

Salsa Sparrow. With a 100mm stem. Puts the bars at the 10-to-2 angle for pulling up. Mine are 470mm with Ergon grips. The longer stem has the net effect of rotating the bar position without moving their location. I expect the Jones are similar but not as extreme.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rigid (singlespeed) handlebars’ is closed to new replies.