Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rigid MTB's that could be upgraded to suspension?
  • z1ppy

Lad at work is ask for some advise, a cheap (£300) new bike that will initally be used on-road to build up fitness, but with the aim that mtb-ing use might be an option in the future.

I'm trying desperately not to recommend anything with suspension forks at this price range, though they seem to have fallen badly out of favour (even the 700cc hybrid mainly come with 50mm suspension forks).
    Looking that the Carrera Subway range with him (the 1 as the 2 is £70 extra for some basic mechanic disc's and some small upgrades), but have no idea if they could be upgraded to a suspension for later?
    Does anyone?

Any other alternative suggestions?

BigDummy
    Free Member

I was about to suggest a Kona Smoke, but I see they've gone to 700cc wheels.

njee20
    Free Member

700cc? It'll be quick!

If he wants an MTB it's likely to have suspension forks, yes they'll be crap, but he can upgrade them in the future, just as he could if he'd gone rigid in the first place, it's not going to make a vast difference in the interim period.

cookeaa

The carrera will have the same frame regardless of it's guise so you will be able to fit bounce at a later date, I can't imagine anyone makes a frame these days with anything less than a 1-1/8th HT…

Doug
    Free Member

The Subway 2 has the same frame as the higher up spec Kracken so should upgrade well into a trail HT.

Halfords currently have 20% off web orders which would bring the 9sp X5 equiped Kracken down to just £320 atm. This also means the Subway 2 only costs £240.

z1ppy

yeah, he want it for fitness so a 700c would be a better options for the road, but a couple of other guys in the office have mtb's and occasionally ride off-road, so I think he ultimately would ride with them.
    So a 700c won't be the best option.

Where have all the rigid fork bikes gone!

Olly
    Free Member

i thought charge did a bike exactly as you describe (they do according to the interview in the latest ST mag)

a nice spec, rigid fork, save wasting money on a crap OE fork….. except they dont seem to do it on the website (unless you want a SS)

Olly
    Free Member

on one, will do an inbred with a cromo fork (or a carbon fork)….
    slot dropout single speed it, and then have the option of putting gears on as and when funds allow?

cookeaa

Olly – Member
    on one, will do an inbred with a cromo fork (or a carbon fork)….
    slot dropout single speed it, and then have the option of putting gears on as and when funds allow?

For £300?

poppa
    Free Member
    Nick

Buy the cheap bike with crap forks, put the forks in the garage or on e-bay and put on a pair of Kona P2s, or On-One/Bontrager/Superstar Carbons.

poppa
    Free Member

Whoops.

Nick

Could he stretch to this (and fit an 18")?

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b7s2p1548

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The Subway 2 has the same frame as the higher up spec Kracken so should upgrade well into a trail HT.

Yeah, I have a Subway One commuter and I recon it'd take an 80-100mm suspension fork easily. The Subway Two has discs and is 8sp (Mine is 7sp) and I reckon you could just fit knobblies and go for it. Even the hubs are pretty well sealed and it comes with decent Wellgo pedals. They are a bargain right now, too.

DT78
    Free Member

Second hand charge duster SS? I think they were £500 new, so should be able to get a decent nick one for £200ish. I

z1ppy

you guys are incorrigible, SS for a newbie, nooo I don't think so. He also want something new, just one of those things.

I think he's pretty happy with the idea of the Carrera Subway 1, nice to have some feed back that we should be able to upgrade it to suspension later.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rigid MTB's that could be upgraded to suspension?’ is closed to new replies.