Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rigid fork lengths – 420mm to 445mm or 465mm?
  • miketually
    Free Member

Built up my new Inbred frame using an old 420mm steel On-One fork that wasn’t on my old Inbred when it was nicked.

420mm’s a bit shorter than most 26″ rigid forks, so the bike’s a bit twitchy.

Do I get a 445mm fork or a 465mm fork as a replacement, for less twitchiness? I know the longer one is a 29er fork, but…

(Going carbon at the same time, for lighter weight and less sore hands.)

cynic-al
    Free Member

29er fork may have different rake (no ****’ idea what that would do to the handling).

17mm = 1 degree, if that helps…

hang on…have you looked at what length fork the inbred is meant to be used with?

Oh and if you go 29er length see ebay foy v. light (and good, according to Trail rat) “Hylix” forks.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’d go 445 or 450mm

miketually
    Free Member

Frame is designed for 4″ or 5″ forks, which the fork selector on the Carbon Cycles site points to either 445mm or 465mm…

miketually
    Free Member

Oh and if you go 29er length see ebay foy v. light (and good, according to Trail rat) “Hylix” forks.

The Carbon Cycles ones are cheaper 🙂

MSP

I am running an on-one carbon 29er (465mm) fork on a pipedream sirius, seems about perfect.
    Looking at the a2c measurements of fox forks (F100: 471mm F120: 491mm) allowing for normally running a bit of sag I think an inbred could go 445 or 465 depending on personnel preference.

miketually
    Free Member

I think an inbred could go 445 or 465 depending on personnel preference.

465 is £1.20 cheaper. That might sway me 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

hylix are far better looking and lighter 😉

fwiw id get 450 or 465 over 445 … give you a better headangle unless you sit with loads of sag

simon1975

425mm on my Inbred makes the bike feel much faster than the 440mm I had before, although I run a huge 2.35″ front tyre though…

I think 465mm would be horribly slow in the twisty stuff. A bit like when I tried my Reba at 115mm.

OCB
    Free Member

I’m almost certain that this won’t help at all, but, (he says …going on regardless) I run a set of 465mm a-c PII forks on the front of my ancient (1992) Kona and it works fantastically well, the handling is much nicer now.

That was going from 100mm suspension forks which gave it ~440mm a-c.
    The original PII’s it had from new would have been what something like 420mm (maybe)?

I’d do the same thing again in an instant, but see what I mean about being no help?

tomkp
    Free Member

I’ve just built up my old inbred 26er as an off road touring kind of bike. At the moment it’s got a really cheap set of alloy rigid forks on it with an a-c of 425.

For me the problem is not that the handling is too fast (quite useful in traffic actually) but that the much lower front end (I used to run a 120mm reba) puts too much weight on my hands. Took it for a 130km ride yesterday and made my mind up that it wasn’t going to work.

Anyway, I’ve ordered a 465mm carbon fork and will report back once I’ve had some rides on it.

adeward
    Free Member

the length bit has been covered but i have taken my pace carbon forks off my 29er as i found they were too stiff ,, especialy on roots or brake bumps
    I changed to a set of steel forks from singular they track very well but seem to be more supple when it comes to roots etc, can judder a bit under braking,

just did sswc and they felt very good

yunki
    Free Member

I used a set of orange F8s on my 456 for a year or so.. I found the 450mm to be absoulutely spot on for handling/comfort ratio but they were a bit flexy for where I was riding

andyl
    Free Member

i’d pick up a cheap steel 445mm fork and try it first.

Or if you do go and get a 29er carbon one and find it too long then give me a shout as building up a scandal 29er 😀

ampthill

If it not handling then leave the frks and move the bars, back and or up?

ski
    Free Member

Swappwd my 420s Pace RC31’s for the 440mm version & they were noticably less twitchy on my 853 inbred, seemed about right for what I used it for.

Sorry not tried my 470mm version on my 26 inbred, but the on-one 470mm seem about right on an inbred 29er (even though the disk clearance on the fork stanchion seems very close).

clubber
    Free Member

My Inbred is spot on with a 445mm Exotic fork – I’m sure that either 420 or 465 would be fine and you’d get used to either but they’re just not quite right (for me at least)

Shackleton

420mm forks are ideal for running a 29er front wheel in an Inbred frame without cocking the geometry up. I loved mine when I did this.

If you want to maintain “normal” handling on a normal inbred then 440-445mm.

cp

IMO a 445mm fork is the one for a standard 26er inbred.

cupra
    Free Member

hylix are far better looking

looks like a road fork on an mtb, given me the exotic one any day 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Rigid fork lengths – 420mm to 445mm or 465mm?’ is closed to new replies.