Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • rigid
  • R.lepecha

right ok, thinking about going rigid, but the forks have got to be able to take 4ft drops and all that. so preferably steel, what are the best ones under £100 that are disc compatible?
    or what would you suggest i do? but used cheap first see if i like it ?

crocodilian
    Free Member
    seth-enslow666
    Free Member

Yeah the On Ones in the link above are relly good forks. 40 quid is realy good for them too. You won't find anything as cheap or better in steel. I have had a few sets and they were as good as the over priced Kona P2s

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    singlespeedstu

You're asking about a rigid fork for four foot drops?

Most people that come on here couldn't ride a four foot drop with eight inches of travel front and rear. 😆

MrTricky
    Free Member

Lots of drops? you may want something more burly from Surly – try these (I doubt you'll get stronger) – http://surlybikes.com/parts/instigator_fork/ and around £75.00 from Wiggle and others

R.lepecha

i was looking at them surly forks and the on one forks, orange f8's?

yunki
    Free Member

I use orange f8s but I keep my wheels on the ground whenever possible so I can't really help..

R.lepecha

thanks. think i'll probably get the on one ones. cos the colours are nicer and fit my non colour coardination theme. when I get round to it

the-muffin-man

Why get steel when you can have really nice carbon…

http://carboncycles.cc/?s=0&t=2&

PJay
    Free Member

I've just bought some Orange F8s and they're great, but like Yunki it's very much for wheels on the ground riding. Orange will also paint you up a set in a different colour if you ask nicely which is great, but they're pretty light for steel forks (1095g, which doesn't make them that much heavier that some carbon forks) so I'd doubt that they'd be up to big drops!

R.lepecha

I get the idea that rigid may not be a good idea for drops?

cynic-al
    Free Member

R.lepecha – Member

Are you being serious?

miketually
    Free Member

Rigid will be terrible for drops, after all trails riders all ride full suspension, don't they?

R.lepecha

I don't? steel hardtail 100mm forks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

OK try it and see.

R.lepecha

well I don't know wether rigid would be a good idea. I was just saying I don't ride a fully.

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye before suspension we didnt use forks – the headtube just levitated above the wheel …..

its all in the technique of the drop – look at macaskill 😉

its a bit like the myth that 29er wheels are weak

jedi

ride whatcha brung 🙂

Hairychested
    Free Member

Identiti make some DJ forks IIRC.

trail_rat
    Free Member

as do brave

seriously though … 4 foot is like dropping off a table – with a little finesse its well within the forks abilitys – less load id reckon that belting into a rock at speed and we have all done that now and again …

if you ride like a 3 tonne cow on rollerskates then dont do it !

MrKmkII
    Free Member

3 tonne cow on rollerskates

oh how i'd love to see this 😆

R.lepecha

i think i ride quite smooth, smoother than my mates do anyway. but is there any point going rigid?

cynic-al
    Free Member

but is there any point going rigid?

Why do want to?

willej

DMR do some really beefy ones too but they're heavy.
    Yes, there are lots of reasons to go rigid. If you've not ridden a rigid mountain bike before it's well worth £40 for the On One forks to suck-it-and-see. Personally I think everyone should "learn" on a rigid bike, with crap brakes and "earn" suspension and decent brakes as their skills progress.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Personally I think everyone should "learn" on a rigid bike, with crap brakes and "earn" suspension and decent brakes as their skills progress.

Pfft.

R.lepecha

Personally I think everyone should "learn" on a rigid bike, with crap brakes and "earn" suspension and decent brakes as their skills progress.

I have to agree, sounds about right that.

willej

😉

mrclean
    Free Member

i got some orange F8's for sale £35 posted

Lionheart
    Free Member

If you need the strength go for DJ / Trail forks, ‘sprog’ James has some NS forks (from Chainreaction) he thinks they are pretty good.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘rigid’ is closed to new replies.