Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Right Life change time need a bit of advice to see if I'm thinking straight!!
  • Wookster

Ok In a job which I hate it’s secure but it driving me mental. My Wife has been offered a job up north. So we are looking at moving. Its close to family so good for the kids 2and 1 year olds we are both out doors type of people any excuse to be out so a change from life in the south east really!

Looking at starting a B&B type place. Catering for the out doors type of person, so comfortable warm, facilities for bike storage/ wash work shop, drying rooms etc etc. Looking at a self contained unit so your own bed small kitchen? Not really flash but practical.

Now do you think there is a market for this and would venues in the north east attract you to go and ride there or do skill type sessions there?

What else would you do, you look for really? thank for your help not going to be rich but happy hopefully!!

Pieface

Location.

Kielder maybe?

rs
    Free Member

Kielder? thats down south 🙂

Wookster

Looked at Keilder issue is the job is Newcastle way so thats a bt of a trek from keilder what about hamsterly way? Investment going in a good DH scene with winter series, and some other events being put it now plus more investment in existing trails?

druidh
    Free Member

The one thing that's always put me off about any such job is that the busiest time of year – the one that's most important to your business – is exactly the time you'd want to take your holidays. are you willing to give that up – to see other folk enjoying themselves in the outdoors while you're indoors doing the cleaning etc?

charliedontsurf

Think it
    feel it.
    fookin do it

but do your research. Stick all the numbers into a spreadsheet and see if it adds up.

A few things to consider:
    riding distance to a trail centre?
    Near a good local pub for food and evenings out?

Going my own way is probably the bravest and best thing I will ever do.

Find a mentor, someone in the same game but not a direct competitor, drink beer with them and share ideas, learn from there mistakes.

Be strong, and best of luck.

Charlie.

Wookster

I think so mate worked before in simlar type of industry (yachts) I think the over all package life stlt wise is better for kids Mrs and me…dont tend to do summer hols any way!!

Thanks Charlie had a great chat with a guy in the lakes who runs a place was good to realy the real view of the job.

djglover
    Free Member

One bed & kitchen? I think normal b&b / bunkhouse would be better. Do the numbers but don't excpect to make a huge return.

Wookster

DJ, multiple places each with own facilities…but shared work shop dry room common area maybe? not expecting to be rich!

Pieface

Plenty of places for C2C people that way and other long distance cycle / walk routes (like Hadrians Way) in that neck of the woods. Maybe scope for B&B for the C2Cers and skills / MTB if you can?

If you're walker / climber friendly too then that could work. Climbing at Bowden Doors(?) so somewhere betwixt the 3 could work

Edric64
    Free Member

Cheap basic bunk barns are needed there are to many expensive places like youth hostels that claim to be cheap and basic but aren't and are not open long enough or very flexible

Sandwich

Second what Edric says. There is a huge untapped market in the NE for winter opening facilities. Yorkshire is closed from late October, those that are open are very expensive don't forget a camping option all year round too.

epicyclo

charlie the bikemonger – Member
    Think it
    feel it.
    fookin do it
    but do your research.

That sums it up perfectly.

Just be careful that you don't swap wage slavery for bank overdraft slavery though. You're not free until you don't have to obey/listen to dickheads.

shortbaldone
    Free Member

1 in 40 of these businesses pay a living wage after a year others not ……..doesnt mean you cant be one of them, just isnt easy, thats all, oh and as said before, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location, location
    rest, pretty easy really……….

Philby

Might be worth giving these guys a call:

http://www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk/grantsandsupport

You may get more regular business from walkers and weekenders than mountain-bikers, unless you do something along the lines of the Dales Bike Centre. But I see no reason why you couldn't make a success of it if you have the right product at the right price in the right place and promoted to the right people in the right way.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I think that if you can get into it without setting yourself up with a huge debt and it's something you want to do then what have you got to loose? In another 3 years your kids will be at school and it will be a lot harder to do something like this. I have never regretted 'giving up' my career.

Location is definitely important but marketing your place is just as vital. Make sure you do all the numbers and everything (I'm sure you already have). If it all adds up then go for it an the best of luck to you!

By the way, what about the REAL north east. Driest place in the UK, best mountain biking in the UK (maybe), good transport links (sleeper, airport), probably the only place in the UK to do off-road coast-coast-coast in a day, and one of the few places in the UK to be escaping the recession. 🙂

tinsy
    Free Member

Not really flash but practical.

If you laying out a room, or even better a few rooms, does it actually cost that much more to make it as nice as you possibly can? I dont mean boutique here with a price to match, but already it sounds like a low expectations on the accomodation to me. Also on that note it also sounds like your limiting yourself to couples, surely you would need at least some accomodation for small family units?

I am not after flash, but I have a lovely home, and I wouldnt be going away to stay somewhere that isnt up to scratch or that couldnt offer me something for the family.

qcamel
    Free Member

On an aside the North East, Newcastle specifically is a great place to live. I have been here 16 years and love it. Great place for kids to grow up and your business is definitely a goer if as already stated the location is right. Hamsterly to Newcastle is quite a trek though, however there is lots of natural riding in and around the Tyne Valley and also a little North of here, if you offered a guiding service I think you could make your customers pretty happy with the riding available.

Trekster

check out those people at Dalesmountainbiking. Looks an ideal setup imo.
    http://www.dalesmountainbiking.co.uk/

Chris-S
    Free Member

You should write into one of those tv programs where they find you a house and a new life (not the witness protection program).

From what you say your move/change would make for an interesting show.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Speaking from experience, yes the figures have to add up but don't spend too long looking at spreadsheets, it'll put you off. You need to believe you can do it (and so does your wife). There'll be lots telling you it won't / can't work – take the good advice but don't listen to the bolloc*s. Expect to be skint for a while but it will get better. I'd also say don't fall into the trap of feeling a new venture must have everything, van, 10k advertising budget, etc … that will send you under.

Start small and allow the thing to 'build' itself. It won't be easy but if it was everyone would be doing it 😉

Stuart

jedi

better to have tried than to have wished you had. 🙂

slowrider
    Free Member

i have no practical advice or experience to offer so ill just say good luck,i admire you for giving it a go (if you do).

maybe consider a family friendly option? being a family yourselves might attract people (like myself) where the family are outdoorsy types but arent all in to biking.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pack in your job and head up north – do it for sure.

Opening a B&B – its a lot of work and your chances of making money are not high. don't make the move hinge on the B&B.

Downsize your life is fine – there is no point in doing a job that drives you nuts

cookeaa

From reading the OP it sounds like you have the Kernel of an Idea as to what you want to achieve… B&Bs are a shed load of work on their own but chuck in “Outdoors Facilities” and the extra work that goes with those and you’ll be ragged and still have minimal time for yourself…
    On the plus side you would probably get to spend more time with your kids while they grow up which has to be a big bonus…

The other thing you didn’t state was what are your resources like? Are you choc full ’o’ cash? Have you flogged a 1 bed shoe box in Laandard for a trillion Quid and now fancy trading up to countryside bliss for peanuts or are you a bit less “Kirsty and Phil”?

Your trade will most likely be seasonal so the vast amount of profit will come during summer probably worth doing some research and getting an idea of tourist foot fall in your chosen area…

The other issue will be your missus distance from work, spending less time with the nippers is she gonna wind up with a massive commuting bill to get to her paying work, simply so you can live a bit more in the sticks and run a loss making enterprise? See how long before the resentment sets in… You two need to be on the same page or it’s all doomed…

The pitfalls are many and various and if it’s worth doing it’s worth planning properly beforehand…

Good luck…

DezB
    Free Member

No experience personally, but as Doug says – Marketing is key.
    Friend of mine's parents opened a B&B in mid-Wales, riding distance from trail centres, 15 mins drive from Coed-y-brenin. The B&B was absolutely fantastic as well, food amazing.
    They've shut down now though as they just didn't get the business: No advertising!

Wookster

…this is Wookie's wife! Have sabotaged his account!!! I think our main worry is that Hamsterley hasnt had great reviews on the forums in the past. The plan is definately to aim at the all-round outdoor activity market but with particular facilities for mountain bikers. I guess our questions to you guys are a) is there much demand for accomodation around Hamsterley in the mountain biking world (we are too biased as its near where I grew up and we love it!!!) and b) How much do you expect to pay for basic accomodation?

DWH
    Free Member

Mountain bikers are muddy skinflints that claim to want "cheap 'n cheerful" bunkhouse accommodation for £10 a night and then piss and moan that the snoring keeps them awake and every room doesn't have a telly and en-suite.

10 MTB'ers @ £10 / night = £100.
    1 couple @ £60 / night = £60.

Which one is more hassle?

cookeaa

The best point of reference probably isn’t us lot you’ll get anecdotes and over inflated claims, from a web forum…
    Best to tap up the local tourist office see if they can provide any figures for "outdoor activity" tourist traffic and if possible a break down of specific activities, across the year…
    It’s also worth maybe seeing what the local council cycling officer’s involvement is like and contacting the CTC for details of local registered guides, see if you can get tie ins and recommendations going, possibly a mini guided/B&B package deal could spin off from that?

Wookster

Good info Cookeaa, and have been on to the foresty commision etc already. Agree with looking for out side info all ongoing currently but though the STW colective will have various opinions to give us an idea too.

Note to self must be careful with auto log in might be framed by the mrs with a fixed ridged 29 thread!!!….. 8)

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Right Life change time need a bit of advice to see if I'm thinking straight!!’ is closed to new replies.