Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Right, I give up on POC pads – what's the alternative.
  • wwaswas

Just had a second one where the magic foam bit has snapped in the washing machine. I realise it’s my ‘fault’ for wanting them not to stink but I’ve had enough. There was two pads in there on a gentle wash.

So, new pads must be;

1) great for pedaling – I wear them all the time on every off-road ride

2) offer reasonable protection – my offs tend to be low speed after stalling on a root rather than rag-dolling down the side of a quarry. A bit of padding at the side of the knee wouldn’t go amiss as I normally end up catching the cross bar at some point.

3) machine washable with care.

What’s the alternatives?

muddy247
    Free Member

I have washed my. 661 Kyle Straight pads after every other ride and so far no signs of wear. Troy Lee make some great pads for more money!

kayak23

Kyle straits here too for ages. I don’t wash them that much though as i’m a dirty minger.
    The new Fox enduro pads look good. Plus they are called ‘Enduro’ so you can be all dead fashionable and that.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wwaswas

Enduro you say?

*rubs thighs*

they look quite good too 🙂

chiefgrooveguru

Enduro you say?

These would clearly not be allowed when riding a rigid singlespeed! 😉

I have the heavier duty Fox Launch Pro and they’re really comfy and seem well made. I put all my riding gear through a rinse and spin straight after most rides – that pretty much stops them smelling and gets rid of the mud without the wear and tear from a hot wash with detergent.

wwaswas

These would clearly not be allowed when riding a rigid singlespeed!

darn 🙂 That bike was ideal round Stanmer last night!

actually, they look a bit minimalist around the sides for my liking and there’s no straps so I’d be worried about fit.

I’ll look at the launch pros cheers.

kimbers

ive tried on them enduro ones in the shop and there seems to be very little padding
    my launch pros are too bad, if a bit sweaty, theyve survived plenty of washes but are getting a bit tired now

pinetree
    Free Member

http://raceface.com/guards/legs/indy-knee/ ?

Mega light, but have D30 in them. Awesome all day pads 🙂

rhid

I was looking at those Fox Enduro pads in a shop the other weekend. They do look very nice but have very little padding and it kind of put me off them. I have been struggling to find pads too. POC are great but have been between sizes with them a bit and suffered. I may try a medium set in the Joint Knee but only if I can find is as a bargain somewhere.

I currently alternate between Kyle Straits and Fox Launch, both are great and frequently go through the wash!

I am interested in the new Raceface ambush pads too, people do seen to like them and they will go on without taking your shoes off, which can only be a good thing.

Northwind

Whatever the current 661 option is, I reckon, they have kneepads sorted. And some very succesful copies too from Fox, Bluegrass and the like. Any bike kit you can’t machine wash is worthless imo- OK, maybe waterproof jackets as they don’t need much washing but knee pads? Not fit for purpose.

Really don’t understand why minimalist pads seem to be “enduro”. Enduro means riding stuff that could qualify as downhill (and sometimes, just is) on a little bike, as fast as you can for a pretty long time so you’re pretty likely to bin it- why skimp on pads when there’s so little benefit? I can pedal all day in any decent soft pad. Maybe it’s because they had a crack at making combined soft knees and shins “enduro” but they’re too ugly for most folks…

feckinlovebbq
    Free Member

Endura MT500 knees are awesome, ride long days in them no problem comfy and machine wasehd all the time. MT500 elbow pads however i dont get on with they are too stiff and restrictive.

bigjim

Just bought the launch pro’s to replace my beloved kyle straits, they seem OK so far, kinda wishing I’d tried the 661 Rage replacements for the KS but couldn’t find them anywhere to try. Got a good deal on the launch ones anyway.

prezet
    Free Member

+1 for Fox Launch Pro… although I’ll probably also get a pair of the ‘Enduro’ pads for general trail riding and keep the Launch Pro for DH related activities.

nealy
    Free Member

Fox Launch Pro, very very comfy, don’t slide down, loads of protection and wash well

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Bought some Scott Grenades a while back. Comfy and could survive a nuclear assault, but probably a little overkill for my XC dawdlings.

Next pads will be another pair of Kyle Straits, unless I can find Fox Launch Pros cheaper.

bluebird
    Free Member

I use these: http://raceface.com/guards/legs/ambush-knee/

You can put them on after you’ve put your shoes on, which is handily, they don’t rub and haven’t fallen apart yet (1 year old so far and worn on pretty much every ride).

rj
    Free Member

I’ve always got on with 661 Evos. I find them fine for 3-4 hour rides and they’ve also got a bit of side protection.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Those Fox Enduro pads look like they’ll offer naff all protection and just keep your knees warm! I was looking at them in a shop and couldn’t believe how thin they were.

I only wear pads for DH duties andam still using an old pair of Kyle Straits. They stink, but fit OK and have save my knees a few times. They get a bit warm though and I’m not sure if I’d fancy pedalling all day in them.

I bought some RF Ambush pads but they went back because they just didn’t fit me.

I may look at TLD for my next ones.

oliwb
    Free Member

Race-Face Ambush (last years version) here. Wear them on most rides. They’re the most comfortable things ever….but if I was going to criticise I would say that they are bit heavy and a bit sweaty. But if they weren’t they wouldn’t offer as much protection! The D30 stuff is amazing – not just a gimmick. Usually machine wash mine and so far they seem to be unaffected. I would definitely try some on / take a look at a pair. Depending on what type of riding you mostly do you will be able to discount them immediately as overkill or will probably end up buying them as the perfect pair. As others have mentioned, being able to put them on last is handy. It means you can pedal up the climb pad less and pop them on before you head down with minimal fuss.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I may look at TLD for my next ones.

On the same note, I tried on some TLD Bones, which didn’t like my knees at all.

Horses for courses, try before you buy etc. etc.

Those Ambushes look like my Grenades…

bigjim

I bought some RF Ambush pads but they went back because they just didn’t fit me.

Same but with the Dig, which is the non-D30 version. Just really, really odd shape compared to any other knee pad I have tried!

razorrazoo

I’ve been using the Leatt 3D’s this year. Very lightweight and have dealt with my offs well.

Review

Purchase

Suggsey
    Free Member

I just want a pad company to make some bloody big enough there must be loads of us out there that have the biggest size arm pads but they still don’t fit! Knee pads are same for gods sakes manufacturers make the bloody Velcro bands long enough so they don’t cut off blood flow!!!
    I normally wear d30 661’s for Xc , Kyle Straits for rock/ pedally all mountain, and race face full length hobbies from years back for Antur or other proper big fast rocky uplift/ alpine riding.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member
    mindmap3
    Free Member

Those Leatt ones look good and are sensibly priced unlike POC ones.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

TLD 5450 – after recent off reccommended by some friends. Comfy, not hot and good coverage.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Another vote for Raceface ambush. Had mine going on 18months, they’ve been through tonnes of abuse and are still fine. I got them after my POC ones snapped in the wash too!

Only downside to the RF ones is that they are a bit chunky. Currently in the market for some slightly less meaty ones for all day kinda rides. I like the look of these, but not convinced the zip would last that long: Oneal AMX Zipper

mwleeds

I’ve just bought some Dainese trail skins. No idea how comfortable they are yet but they look like they offer the right amount of protection for normal riding. Plus they seemed reasonably priced at £45. Pinkbike like them too.

gavstorie
    Free Member

http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=3356&g=363064&p=363124&c=215&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=Body%20Armour&gclid=CLrBjf-Zrr4CFSEewwodrFsArQ

Had these for a while and they are really good.. The foam+plastic protection part comes out so that you can stick the rest of the pads in the washing machine..

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

The foam+plastic protection part comes out so that you can stick the rest of the pads in the washing machine..

How’d that work?

Just realised I have Rockets and not Grenades (which are apparently D30 Rockets).

yoshimi

Fox Launch Pro – used these for well over a year

Comfy, well made, don’t slip, don’t affect pedaling, not too hot, plenty of protection – similar to Kyle Strait but not as bulky

I looked at the Fox Enduro ones ion the shop – not enough padding and seem pointless

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Right, I give up on POC pads – what's the alternative.’ is closed to new replies.