Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Riding without a saddle is….
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

…fun at first…

….good for throwing the bike around…

….increasingly knackering….

….eventually hard on the calves and back!!

After finishing a particular work project (assisted unwittingly by ernie!! :wink:), treated myself to a break and a few hours of snowy riding. Glorious day, snow was perfect, not too think but covered up the mud and sand and made some steep bits FUN!! About 1 1/2 hours from home and on a nice steep technical section. Very slippy so I was taking it a bit easy when half way down PING the seat post snaps off…cue painful roll in the snow!!. Bu$$er 90 mins from home but cant be that hard without a saddle even in the snow.

Rest of the descent actually a lot of fun and next 20 mins ok. Feels like being thrust forward in aggressive XC position. Then as the snow gets deeper it becomes hard work. Ten minutes late inevitable crash on another techy bit. Slow twisting fall which ended in handlebar ripping right through my trousers and taking a nice 6″of flesh with it. Blood starts gushing (bad enough) then realise I am exposing myself (oops) and still an hour from home. OK this should be interesting. Now spds are completely frozed so can only clip 3/4 in. Fortunately 90% off road through forest and only came across one couple walking their dog (sorry, pls dont report me!!). Eventually make it to the safety of home with calves and back burning but blood now stopped only to find wife’s friend at the front door. Poor girl, not a pleasant sight to be greated with.

The art of coarse MTB. Great shame as conditions were awesome and this was my first real snow ride 🙁 🙁

Now to check the wound again and buy a new seatpost 😥 🙁

GrahamS

…a rather extreme way to lose your virginity.

br
    Free Member

Slow twisting fall which ended in handlebar ripping right through my trousers and taking a nice 6″of flesh with it

No end cap?

soobalias
    Free Member

your bars removed your 6″?

i feel a bit sick.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sorry, that was a bit Frankie Howard.

Not sure how to read, “no end cap.”!!!!

schmiken

Yeah, I snapped saddle rails at D2D and ended up riding 8 miles through 2 inches of mud standing up. Frigging exhausting!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I have a XC marathon (running) on Sunday, so hope the calves recover!!

It’s a weird position without a saddle. With spd’s it feels like you are pushed right forward. A 90m spin class!!!

Pigface
    Free Member

MTB S+M kinky 😯

mudsux
    Free Member

…eventually hard on somewhere nature never intended.

teasel
    Free Member

Yep, unexpectedly experienced this myself a few years back and as you say, it’s incredibly tiring. I tried just about everything to ease the eight miles I had left but there’s not much you can do to support yourself without one.

Never again will I take for granted the humble saddle…

maxray
    Free Member

I had to ride most of Penmachno without a saddle a couple of years ago. Amazing how much you use it when out of the saddle to balance the bike.

Legs were thrashed by the end.

GrahamS

A mate of mine broke his seatpost on a lap of SITS, about 500 yards from the start.

He wasn’t looking too happy by the time he came back in.
    Managed a good time though – I suspect his logic was that the faster he went the sooner the pain was over!

derek_starship
    Free Member

More comfortable with lube.

thegreatape
    Free Member

…a pain in the arse.

lowey

I snapped a seatpost bolt after the halfway round the marin trail.

My calves were in agony by the time I got back to the car.

rossi46
    Free Member

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member
    …a pain in the arse.

Did remember to take the old post out before setting off again. That would have been a pain…..!!

New post fitted at LBS, wound clean, damn not enough light for another spin 🙁

After today, I wonder if 2nd pair of shorts should be carried in the sac???

globalti
    Free Member

A butt plug might be better.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Blimey Project – commiserations to Paul as that must have been a real (____insert whatever gets past the swear filter). To bust your bike as well?? Was that the recent HTN?

Mugboo

..the reason your called teamhurtmore?

rossi46
    Free Member

…a pain in the arse.

Especially a splintered carbon one 😯

Eeeeeechawower!!

hugor
    Free Member

no need for a uppy downy seat post if you don’t have a saddle

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Mugboo, truly could well be that I hurt myself a lot more mtbing than any other sport I do.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Riding without a saddle is….’ is closed to new replies.