Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • Riding without a agenda.
  • ton

do you ever ride without any kind of agenda or aim?
    no need to be fast or ride the furthest, no need to shred the gnarr, 😯 or to ride it like you stole it 🙄 but to just get out without a care for speed or distance or even direction.

do you?

Drac

Every time.

ampthill

Yes today

Just needed some air. Ancient slick tyred Mtb. pathetically short ride, pathetic speed

Made my day!!

kevj
    Free Member

This concept is new to me. I think I like it. Please elaborate….

Swayndo
    Free Member

Yep nearly all my rides.

Jamie
    Free Member

do you?

I would say about 10-15% of bods off here ride it like they stole it/fast as funk.

The other 40% are just out for the crack.

…oh, and the other 45%-50% don’t actually have bikes 8)

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I started riding in my primary school holidays with a frying pan and sausages on sit up and beg singlespeed wartime bikes. We’d light a fire in some remote place, fry our sausages and ride home.

I still ride with that same carefree spirit 40 years later, though seldom with the bangers. It could make a comeback.

I don’t have a competitive gene in my body.

swamp_boy

Most of my rides are like that, but 99% of the time I’m on my own, so its only my choice. Having said that I’m lucky enough to work for myself, mainly from home and have a network of trails right from the door, so I can just head off out when I feel like it.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Of course.. It’s one of the ways to discover stuff, you know..

Often ride the same trails here ( ease of access and distance) but quite often get out of the front door and let my front wheel guide me.. Quite refreshing not knowing where you’ll end up going/seeing/doing.

Tomorrow will be another one of those days for me..

sambob
    Free Member

I only have a competitive gene when I’m winning, so almost all of my rides are just for fun.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Liking the idea of riding with sausages. Red sauce, brown sauce or no sauce 😀

postierich
    Free Member

I have lost my competive streak due to a fecked leg so now I,m a plodder we need to hook up Ton 🙂

unklehomered
    Free Member

an agenda’ please fix or its gonna drive me mad.

I race, but i race myself, and my mp3 player, for the rest of time I’m just riding…

Solo
    Free Member

Riding without an agenda.
    😉

but to just get out without a care for speed or distance or even direction.

Aye, thats real cycling. Either you get it, or you race.

jam-bo

Most of my riding at the moment is about giving the dog a good run.

teasel
    Free Member

I think bike, talk bike, live bike. Infact, I am a bike.

That’s what the missus claims of me, anyway.

Bloody love it and hope I never shift opinion. I ride because it’s my mode of transport and my means to pleasure.

grannygrinder
    Free Member

Everytime i go out its for fun, nothing more

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Liking the idea of riding with sausages. Red sauce, brown sauce or no sauce

I cant remember any sauce,it only came in bottles then, a snaffled sachet* would be possible now, but we carried butter for our rolls which we toasted. Sometimes we took tea too.

*makes mental note to start snaffling sachets of condiments.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

we carried butter for our rolls which we toasted. Sometimes we took tea too

Course you did, to do otherwise would be uncivilised 😉 I’m liking the sound of these rides more and more. Makes a bottle of beer and a hip flask seem half arsed.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t ride fast because of an agenda.

I ride fast simply because it’s great fun.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

What a wonderful, warming, real thread! Cycling’s been an important part of my life since I was a little kid – the best means of transport, the best way to get some thrills, to explore, to get far away (or that’s how it felt at the time), to meet mates, to be on your own.

I grew up (sort of), worked in a bike shop, lived, loved, raced, explored, ate, sleep and drank bikes. Then it wore off a bit, then I got back into it and started to love it again.

Recovering from my brain surgery almost 5 years ago now, cycling became pivotal to my recovery. I remember emailing my mum shortly after I was allowed to cycle again to tell her I’d ridden to the post box and back. That’s all of a 1/3rd of a mile. I was so chuffed. I had a Roadrat then that became my independence. Bear in mind I’d get to the shops and forgot why I’d gone there, but I gradually built up my miles and explored more. I started recording all my rides in 2010 and have continued to do so to date, but it’s only really the last 6 months or so that I’ve started to “train” at times on the bike, so that means the vast majority of the 4000+ miles I did last year must have been for the heck of it.

I don’t need to ride 22 miles each way to work, but it’s fun, so I do it once a week. I ride from the door, on the road, off road, more often than not on my own, but it’s riding without an agenda that’s helped me get better, helped make me who I am and I genuinely don’t know what I’d have done without that opportunity.

butcher

Sometimes I like to potter about the local area. Go exploring around the back streets. Discover things new despite living here my whole life. It’s amazing the things you find on your doorstep, and it makes for a very relaxed carefree ride. No real effort, no destination, just a small sense of adventure required. It’s good fun.

bedmaker

I shred the gnar and go fast not because of an agenda but because it is fun, pootling downhill is unpossible 🙂
    I ride one of these daft fatbikes, which gives some idea of my agenda when riding…

Trekster

Never had an agenda and never will 😆
    No agenda with anything I do, just float along 😛

jameso

“When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.”

? Arthur Conan Doyle

He did )

Euro
    Free Member

Sometimes make vague plans when going out solo. But no matter what mindset i leave the house with, it can change in a second. A gentle cruise can turn into gnarrrr fest as easily as a brisk fitness run can morph into a manualling session. I can’t ride past a jump, and that **** things up sometimes. 😆

I’m not riding – with an aim at the moment. My next ride (the first in a while) will have an agenda of sorts – steady as she goes, and see how healed i am. It’ll be tomorrow or Sunday or both, fingers crossed.

bigdean

My general aim is to make it to the end & enjoy the view. Couldn’t race pace if i tried.
    Need a new thread what backpak/ bar pac to fit stove, bacon and rolls in?

luffy105
    Free Member

Driving on my way home from work tonight I passed by a country lane turn off where after living here most of my life I realised I have no idea where it leads. I can guess ‘ish but decided to not look it up and have spent the whole evening avoiding google maps and am going to get out on my new road bike tomorrow and see where it leads. not a massive adventure but should be able to spin it out to a nice little ride. No agenda, just curiosity and fresh air.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup..

Oh, and Tony? Yes to next Sunday mate.. Just let me know what time? Head here, and we’ll ride in. 8)

firestarter
    Free Member

Every time I bother to drag myself out that’s how I roll, ie slowly 😉

Sandwich

oh, and the other 45%-50% don’t actually have bikesAudis

😀

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Need a new thread what backpak/ bar pac to fit stove, bacon and rolls in?

It’s not the same unless you get home smelling of woodsmoke.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I used to be a really competitive person but really cannot be arsed to be competitive when it comes to biking. I much prefer riding at my own pace for as long as I can as opposed to being fixed on a time limit. I am growing to dislike trail centre ‘race tracks’ and much prefer the ‘natural’ out there rides. I like pootling up the climbs, taking in the views and vistas as I go, so that on the way down I can go as fast as I can within my skill and scare levels.
    I dont care what people think of me, the choice of colour of my bike or my clothing but it is nice to ride with like minded folk and have some banter but it can be equally as refreshing sometimes just exploring those lanes/paths/worn trails that you drive by in the car.
    Now I have my hardtail rebuilt with some working forks I am going to go explore locally this weekend as this thread has got my juices flowing.

ontor
    Free Member

Most of the time these days – when there is an agenda it’s usually ride longer, but only as it’s fun

badbob
    Free Member

Just ride for the cake………….

boltonjon

Do some endurance races, but never train, just spend long days out riding with mates with no proper plans

Liking the idea of cooking sausages 🙂

jedi

smiling is always on my riding adgenda 🙂

fourbanger
    Free Member

I don’t pootle and I don’t ride without reason, eg racing, training, getting from A to B. But the A to B rides are normally with friends who don’t cycle much, A being home, B being pub/cafe or place of interest.

philjunior
    Free Member

Other things generally mean I’m riding with some sort of an agenda, most of my riding is commuting these days – and I’m usually on a mission to get home in time to see my daughter or in at a not horrendously late hour.

When I get to just go out and ride where I like though, now that’s good.

I’ve done a couple of sub 5 mile (but with plenty of incline) rides in the last couple of months, one was probably the time I’ve most enjoyed just being out in ages, despite a fairly leisurely pace up and no shredding to the gnar on the way down.

Even if I’m doing something challenging I like to take in the surroundings when the weather’s nice. Taking the long way to work if it’s dry enough and the like.

But I do also like to do the odd race – I’ve got no chance of winning but I’ll still pedal like **** to try and lose less badly.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I ride because it is what I do in my spare time. there is no specific purpose to it. Sometimes I’m slow and others fast, just as I feel at the time.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Riding without a agenda.’ is closed to new replies.