Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Riding with worn shock bushings
  • iamsporticus
    Free Member

Hi

Im new to this suspension witchcraft stuff so be patient with me 🙂

I noticed that my rear shock bush has play in it last night
    Only a bit but definitely noticeable

Ive ordered a new one from Mojo but Im keen to get out tomorrow night with the lads

This may sound a stupid question but if I ride with a worn shock bush do I risk doing any damage to the body of the shock itself or am I being paranoid?

Cheers

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No. You won't damage the shock itself at all. Only the bushing. That's what the bushing is for 🙂

You may put extra wear on the bolt that goes through the bushing though, so replace it ASAP, but I doubt one ride will do much damage.

Macavity
    Free Member

What is the difference between a bush and a bushing?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

A bush is a plain tube of metal that runs direct on it's shaft. A bearing has little balls in it, basically.

Macavity
    Free Member

What is a bushing?

By the way Sporticus, Lazy Town is brilliant, the best prog on telly.

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Cheers LOL

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

No. You won't damage the shock itself at all. Only the bushing. That's what the bushing is for

Not strictly true. I had a bush develop play half way through a race weekend – thought 'pfft, it'll be fine for now.' Put new bush in post-race to find that the eyelet had ovalised.

Apparently quite common with ROCO's – never heard of it happening with another shock though

shermer75
    Free Member

I eventually managed to trash my whole frame and shock that way. Both eyelets ovalised. Took a while tho! I was too young + too stupid to do something about it quickly enough. Aaaaaargh!

billyboy
    Free Member

You do risk damage.

Hardtail.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Riding with worn shock bushings’ is closed to new replies.