Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Riding with the start of a Cold?
  • ade
    Free Member

Sore throat yesterday, custard nose this morning, plans for a 3 hour ride this afternoon.

Bad idea or MTFU and get on with it?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Bad idea in my experience. Rest now and you'll back to optimum fitness quicker!

ade
    Free Member

Arse.I've just got back from my holiday, so haven't touched a bike in over a week, and I'm suffering withdrawal symptoms.

grannygrinder
    Free Member

Man up!! Get out there, worse case the air ambulance can bring you home lol

CHUCKMORR1S
    Free Member

If you feel rubbish then stay in but if the're your only symptoms then get out and ride.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Makes things much worse for me, I stay off the bike.

glenncampbell

If the cold is above the neck then I'd take an easy ride – no more than an hour and wrapped up well. If on the chest then stay in and watch bike movies for motivation when you're better!

Drac

It's a cold get out and ride.

grumm
    Free Member

I spent a while trying to man up and go out for rides when feeling crap – I now have PVFS/CFS which I'm sure is connected to that. In the long run you will spend more time off the bike imo.

Listen to what your body is telling you!

mrmo
    Free Member

listen to your body, the worst case scenario is you will die. Yes it is just a cold but there are cases of athletes dying due to complications caused by excessive training.

If you feel ok a gentle ride will be fine, but a 3hr training session will do you very little good.

corroded
    Free Member

From personal experience, don't do it. You'll be better next weekend.

Flaperon

Bad idea. Last time I did that I came down with an absolute stinker of a cold. Suggest you take the day off to recover.

Ticklinjock

I find that
    "if a cold is in its infancy – I get out and cook it out of my system"
    Find a nice techy climb and honk it up in a higher than normal gear. The elevated body temperature seems to kill em off – most times.

Also, eat grapes and tomatoes this gives the immune system plenty of ammunition.

ade
    Free Member

I think it says a lot that since I posted the original question I've got to the stage where I can't even consider going out. Time to put my feet up in front of the tellybox then.

@glenncampbell -I think I've got Seasons on DVD somewhere, I'm just worried that I'll end up even more frustrated if I'm watching people do precisely what I want to be doing right now. Maybe the F1 might be better.

@mrmo – athlete? *chuckle*

@Ticklinjock – grapes and tomatoes sound good, but not quite as good as the beer and chocolate that have just come back from Sainsbury's 🙂

snowpaul
    Free Member

dont do it – I also have / had PVFS / CFS from doing this –
    it isnt worth it – trust me

paul

IdleJon

snowpaul – Member
    dont do it – I also have / had PVFS / CFS from doing this –
    it isnt worth it – trust me

paul

+1.

I'm very careful about riding with any sniffles or infections these days.

elaineanne
    Free Member

lol wot are you a 'Man' or a 'Mouse'…..if its a sniffle ..ride….if your laid up in bed…(dont ride)…lol take sum strepsils and boil some lemons up…you be reight in a few days..

Drac

The elevated body temperature seems to kill em off – most times.

If your body temp is elevating when your exercising then some things up. And high temps make it difficult for your body to fight infection.

cynic-al
    Free Member

But you said get out and ride before?

Drac

But you said get out and ride before?

Yes. What's that got to do with what I posted above?

ade
    Free Member

I remembered my other favourite treatment earlier – a stinking hot curry.

huggis
    Free Member

did it yesterday and regretting it today!!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I did the fred whitton yesterday with a cold, i wasnt pretty, especially with a river of snot pouring down my face throughout the event.

Still, it didnt kill me

Drac

Can anyone here confirm if riding with a cold killed them? 😆

ononeorange

pardon my ignorance, but what is PVFS/CFS?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome innit.

Everlong
    Free Member

I'm off the bike with a heavy cold. I'll be letting this one settle down before I go back out … especially with 10 under the Ben coming next weekend!

Stupid colds!!!

Drac

Although there is no known cause for it so claiming "I got it from riding when I had runny nose" is pretty bold.

molgrips
    Free Member

Advice from coaches is: If it's just in your head, you can ride. If it's in your body, then don't. By that I mean if you feel weak all over.

I think you should be ok though if you take it easy.

rOcKeTdOg

Nowt like a steady ride to blow some snot out, better than sitting in a centrally heated house getting your sinuses good and stuffed up

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Riding with the start of a Cold?’ is closed to new replies.