Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • riding with a bad hip and femur
  • ben10
    Free Member

hi all after badly braking my femur some years ago i made a come back to mountin biking last year iv made slow but steady progres over the last 10 months but suffer from a lot of pain in my leg and hip when riding and most of the time. I ride a full sus frame at the min and dont know if this is a god thing and am thinking about getting a hard tail but havn’t riden one in 15 years wounderd what you think

jamesco

Oh bugger, I just bought a full sus off e-bay to ease my recovery back on to the bike, thinking it’d be more comfy for my hip/femur. I’d get your hip checked out if it’s so painful, could be breaking up in the joint.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Broke my left femur twice in two different accidents one road, one MTB +1 MRSA. Just lucky I guess 🙂 I ride full sus all the time. Its more likely your bike setup than the bike type. FS will be way more comfortable. Could be your seat height/bar combination. Try crankbros pedals for maximum float. My left leg needs more. I would also advise strength work in the gym. Your doctor physio can advise but I do some specific stuff on the machines. I have some pain occasionally over the hip area where all the surgery was done but not while I’m riding. I have completed many enduro, 12 hour solo etc events including trans alps.

Just wanted to give you both some hope I know what its like trying to recover and it takes a lot of time and effort. Whatever you do dont stop.

Northwind

Broke mine through the neck about 4 years ago and had it reattached with 3 nice big B&Q coach bolts. After 10 months I was still suffering a lack of mobility which would have made riding pretty hard I reckon- I could go the motorbike but wasn’t cycling at the time (through choice, btw- I came back to mountain biking after the break- because of the break in fact!)

Had mine checked over just recently and apparently it’s in good nick, but it does often hurt- especially after any hard exercise, but also after long days on my feet etc, just a response to use it seems. Not to be negative but I’ve not had a pain-free day since I came off the morphine. But, it’s generally tolerable without painkillers and always managable with prescription painkillers, so that’s not too bad. Hospital has offered to open it up, have a hoover-out of scar tissue and maybe remove the bolts but there’s drawbacks to that and so far I’ve not felt it neccesary.

Probably sounds a bit negative all that. What I’d say though is that apart from the pain/discomfort and a little loss of flexibility it does everything I want a leg to do. It’s held me back in terms of making it hard to attain my current level of strength and fitness, but most people wouldn’t guess to see me riding I reckon. My cardio fitness is the problem now 😉

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

NW my MTB break was same at the neck. I have had the bolts out and it is a lot more comfortable. But thats when MRSA infected the wound and I had some major surgery to remove it and that has left more scar tissue damage. Still some pain but tends to be post ride. No pain killers.

Northwind

Yep, things like that are why mine are still in! If it gets worse then things’ll change but like i say, it’s totally managable, doesn’t stop me from doing what I want to do. Does mean I moan a little more 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Bust mine years ago and causes a few issues. As my leg isn’t straight I have to use flats, spds are a no no way to much pain and my knee just explodes. If it is giving you real gyp go see a physio.

PrinceJohn

Hmmm interesting reading, tomorrow I’ve got my second visit to fracture clinic after breaking my Fermi back in march, sounds like I’ve got a longer road ahead than I thought….

weeksy

I have a segmented femur, broken/seperated in 15+ places, now pinned with Ti (or whatever).

Can’t say any form of biking gives me any issues at all.

ben10
    Free Member

thanks all looks like its not just me with this proplem my leg and knee stick out to the side as well cant see me riding with spd any time soon

ben10
    Free Member

sorry princejohn hope we havent give you anything to worry about

yunki
    Free Member

I’m with weeksy on this one… my hip/femur looks much like this only with more screws and funkier screw angles due to having much more complicated fractures in the femur..

no problems here as such..

I get tons more grief from an insignificant 2 year old minor knee strain..

PrinceJohn

sorry princejohn hope we havent give you anything to worry about

Nope all good! I’m fixed & have started physio, even allowed on the turbo trainer… win.

From this:

Screen Shot 2012-06-13 at 18.27.43 by me, on Flickr

To this:

Screen Shot 2012-06-13 at 18.28.18 by me, on Flickr

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘riding with a bad hip and femur’ is closed to new replies.