Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Riding west out of central London
  • golo
    Free Member

WARNING: Lycra related

I’m trying to plan a route to get out of central London and eventually on up to Cirencester. Heat maps aren’t as useful as I had hoped. We’re keen to avoid the main roads but don’t want to do crappy canal paths either.

Any advice?

nedrapier

Google maps showing cycle routes, or this: http://cycle.travel/map

that doesn’t suggest there’s a lot of great options!

It might not be as satisfying, but it might be worth getting a train out of the centre a little way?

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

A good start point could be to look up the route used for the annual London to Oxford bike ride. That would avoid most of the busier parts and then deviate from that route as you get close to Oxford by dipping down between Oxford and Abingdon. The last section from there to Cirencester should be relatively easy to find quieter roads.

If you want to put more work into the planning and don’t mind a less direct route then it certainly possible to plot out an even quieter route but the London-Oxford seems like a good start point. The ride has started in Ealing and Isleworth in different years so that should give you a couple of options.

nickjb
    Free Member
    qwerty
    Free Member

https://www.cyclestreets.net/ gives 3 route options & can create a GPX too.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

There is a well used route by cyclists that heads out via Hampton and Lower Sunbury Road just north of the Thames to Windsor Park. Not sure if you’ve seen that route??

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Might help for some of it..
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/3495428

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I rode to Oxford (and back) two weeks ago heading out from Richmond Park. Nice route here that you could use as a base to adapt for your own porpoises:

https://www.strava.com/activities/986576727

EDIT: it was quite a ‘pretty’ route going through all those beautiful historic towns on the Thames (Henley, Marlow, Windsor, Slough 😉 can share a video if you like so that you get an idea of the roads

LittleNose
    Free Member

For the section from Hampton Court to Henley – this route I took a couple of weeks back was alright, and although I’ve used a couple of bridleways / canal paths, there are obvious alternative options.
    – From H-C to Walton bridge, stick to the north side of the river as HH menions 3 posts up.
    – At Knowl Hill, use Warren Row Road.

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve ridden London to Bristol quite a few times – if you go Putney – Richmond Park – Kingston – Hampton Court – Windsor it gets you out of London on some nice quality, scenic roads. From there you could go towards Henley on Thames then Oxford and on to Cirencester.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

oh s*d it, I’m gonna share anyway. Here’s the vid including the infamous ‘shower Stella’ scene. Don’t worry, it’s safe for work.

Weapon of Choice

IHN

From Windsor, Oxford is taking you quite a way North to go to Cirencester. I’d head through/around Reading to Pangbourne, pick up the A417 and follow it all the way to Ciren. Not a tiny road, but not a mental one either

steezysix
    Free Member

Yeah, no point going all the way to Oxford, just once you’re north of the M4 there’s a lot of nice quiet roads to choose from. Depends if you’re just wanting to go A-B in a speedy manner or want a nice long day out.

golo
    Free Member

This place never lets you down 😀 Strong consensus to go out well south of the M4. Looks like Windsor is the best aim point. I’ll have a good look at the routes later… And your video MTB-idle!

BIG thanks!

soundninjauk

I use this handy Strava route whenever I feel an urge to head west to Windsor and back.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Riding west out of central London’ is closed to new replies.