Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Riding very steep roll ins.
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

Best techniques especially if there is a sharp, have to make it, turn at the bottom and no run out.. When I say steep I mean it, as in walking it is not possible.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Weight back, off the brakes, trust your bike.

bobbyspangles

keep your head up, and look where you will be going.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    TandemJeremy
    Free Member

if you have to stop / turn at the bottom then weight down and back and use both brakes – in the transition to flat at the bottom you can use both brakes hard as effectivly its a compression and loads the tyres

joolsburger
    Free Member

No brakes is not an option, my problem is controlling the speed without sliding.. Rode it when it was not dusty no worries but Sunday it was so dry just couldn't slow down at all!!

glenp
    Free Member

I'm assuming the brakes will be on, in order to make the turn – so hips back enough that you're riding the pedals, not the bars, heels well down and head up. Turn to face where you are going next, not where you are already going – ie turn your head and shoulders, and hips too, to face the exit. Plus, commit all the way – visualise going all the way through the section, not just the bit you're currently on.

theflatboy
    Free Member

if it's as steep as i'm imagining the back brake's not going to do anything but slide however you use it. weight right back and careful front brake.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Glen you probably know the trail I mean if you are familiar with Ranmore. About 10 feet into the trail off the fireroad.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I read 'very steep roll ins' as vertical drops into a transition at the bottom. If the transition out is also a corner, you don't want to be on the brakes, they'll just lock as the wheels load again.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

On a steep downhill you can use plenty of front brake – all the weight is effectively on the front tyre. Just get your weight down and back to avoid going over the bars.

learn to feel for front tyre grip.

jedi

look round the turn and drop outside foot as you turn your body from the feet into the turn.

simples

joolsburger
    Free Member

Not vertical I'd say around 65 degrees or so but good advice guys I expect I just have to MTFU!!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Adh – note he said turn on exit!

dead, dead slow entry, sensible front brake usage (this is grip dependant!). Weight balanced so you don't end up locking the front, and don't end up endoing. Ease off the back brake as soon as it breaks traction. If all else fails, pin it, and hope your cornering is up to scratch. If it's wet, possibly don't bother.

Whistler and environs is VERY good for practising this kind of stuff!

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

COOL 2nd pic!

Best tip I picked up was use the back brake as an anchor and DO NOT touch the front one.

Also keeps your pedals level and your heels low – that way force goes through your feet rather than over the handlebars (sort of)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

surf matt – why not use the front one? it has all the weight upon it so has plenty of grip

JonEdwards
    Free Member

COOL 2nd pic!

Same roll, different pov. The turn right out the bottom was fairly hairy in 4" of dust.

Front brake is the one that does the work. As others have said – get your weight low, and on your feet (dropping your heels helps too), but don't go too OTT with hanging off the back or the front wheel won't grip.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I was heavy on the back brake and trying to modulate the front so it was on the verge of locking but not quite, arse was bacially on the wheel guts on the saddle, I found that I was still picking up speed as I was basically skidding down.

glenp
    Free Member

Sounds like it is just very loose! Can't picture where you mean though.

joolsburger
    Free Member

And I cant tell you on a public forum well I could but then it would get even more bloody loose.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

are you talking about the trail by any chance? http://www.nirvanacycles.com/media/Reformation.wmv

Mistere
    Free Member

get your weight on the pedals with the balls of your feet, poised and ready. As tandemjeramy says more weight on the front = more grip. I'd also keep an eye on your front wheel for signs of skidding, and feather your brakes a bit. it helps if you have some brakes with good modulation like hopes.
    running more front brake should help with the corner at the bottom.

jedi

looks fun

joolsburger
    Free Member

Not those HH but nearby.

jedi

im over that way friday/saturday with nirvana cycles 🙂
    will have a look see

phatstanley
    Free Member

Also….you shouldn't be so far back that your arms are straight, cuz then you can't really use them for effective turning or absorption.

Also, ya don't wanna risk catchin' yer manhood in the back wheel…this thought is regularly in the back of my mind when i'm back off the saddle.

joolsburger
    Free Member

You'll know you're on it if you turn off a fireroad onto a singletrack after a short climb and about 15 feet in the world falls away.

There are some proper brown trousers trails over there it's brilliant.

There is also a hilarious one between the common and Summer lightning only about 50 feet down or so but truly funny just right to roll down but with enough turns to make it very interesting.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'ma big fan of not over analysing things,

Take the corkscrew at Swinley for example the run in is just as you describe, theres a tree root at the top fot he first ft is vertical then its another 6ft or so to the ground.

First time, looked at it, walked it, looked at it, decided it must be possible to roll, and did it, quite messily and no one else in the gropu did.

2nd time
    3rd time
    etc

Didn't even recognise the section of trail (you can come in from the left or the right and the trails merge just before the drop) and happened to be in the front of the group, just instinctively nosed the front off and lifted the back wheel up with my feet (more like droping into a skate park than a dropoff) to keep the chainring off the ground. Must have been going 10x the speed and had much more 'controll' as I was actualy looking at the next corner and the bike dealt with the drop and turn on its own.

Must get a session with Jedi booked soon as I must have so many bad habbits I don't even realise so do neither as I say or as I do as they may well both be wrong!

jedi

is it on leith?

joolsburger
    Free Member

No its on Ranmore but I expect you went to deliverance today, always a giggle.

jedi

no i went to mangrove lane, physcodelic warlord etc…

dave_aber
    Free Member

I'd give it a miss. Until it snows at least.

TheSwede
    Free Member

jedi – Member

drop outside foot
    Eh 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

I think that is Ranmore did you pass a pub called the Plough? One trail has a big fallen tree that serves as a ramp?

jimmyshand
    Free Member

Just Huck it.

jedi

dunno. one has a tree thats a little drop thingy

joolsburger
    Free Member

None the wiser!!Its all good though sounds like you had a laugh.

jedi

its a junction on wave of mutilation

jonrambo
    Free Member

hahahaha! listening to all you guys with the know how, sitting there in front of your computer screens telling how to ride steep tech stuff when in actual fact if i put you in front of some of the stuff we ride you'd shit yourself !!! iv took people like you out before, jedi and tj, ha ha stick to your black routed trail centres!!

jedi

pmsl 🙂

jonrambo
    Free Member

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Riding very steep roll ins.’ is closed to new replies.