Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • riding trials again… older sherco, gas gas or beta?
  • gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i grew up riding trials but havnt touched one for maybe 30 years, last bike was a armstrong 240 twin shock.

quite fancy having a go on a modern bike and there are at least 3 trials within walking distance of my house plus many of the clubs have monthly practice sessions.

but, i only want to spend 600-1000 on a bike figuring if i like it i can upgrade next year and looking about i’m seeing bike around 1999-2003 in that price bracket.

ignoring the obviously hammered and knackered that are out there, and willing and able to do basic maintenance/upkeep/repairs myself, has anyone got any views on the reliability, fragility, cost of spares etc of Gas Gas, Sherco and Beta Rev 3 which seem to be the most commonly available down here in west cornwall.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Have you looked on http://www.trialscentral.com/ ?
    Probably a better bet than on here.

I rode in the 70’s & 80’s but like you have never ridden a modern bike. My mates lad rides & is a handy club rider I could ask/put you in touch with him & at least he could advise what to avoid if you like.

Wish I still had this…..£850 new it was.

Here’s me riding it!

Paid £100 for this 350 Sherpa, wish I’d kept that as well, it was a right handful!

But I digress as usual…… 🙄

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d be looking at a Montesa 315 Gav. I have an old (’99) one here for messing around in the fields. They are solid as a rock, well respected and parts are still pretty easily available
    You can probably get a <2000 one for £750-£1000 but they then changed the front forks to [rainbow] Showa and the carb to a Dellorto PHBL (from a PHBH) and the price rises to about £1300-1500 or more.

Those twinshocks would be worth a pretty penny now!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i had a bulto 350 that i sold about 7 years ago, didnt like it as much as my armstrong… that i gave to my cousin and has been sat in his barn for 9 years now at least.

the 315 montesa ive been recommended before, prob is there doesnt seem to be many in cornwall unlike the 3 i mention. i was even offered a lovely one at the weekend for 1000 but in sheffield.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ohh!! Oh… god i love trials bikes…. 😀

Can I get involved? I’ve been looking at 80’s clean examples.. OSSA, Montessa, Honda TL’s, Bultacos, Yams, Suzy RL’s and all sorts of Fanatics and the like..

I’m seriously considering a Fanatic at the Mo’, it’s been ridden but well kept and has a load of spares.. I just don’t have the local trails to ride it on.. unless I become one of those BOAT’ers.. and riding one to local areas means a bloody long ride on the M27 either way no doubt..

I just want one as a toy really but it’s got my heart racing..

Ding..dong..

Dong, dong, dong…

Awesome..

Let us know what you’ve bought..

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Montessa have a good reputation for being solid. Apart from that, I’d just go on condition. They all seem to be similar.

nedrapier

just don’t have the local trails to ride it on

Do you know that there aren’t any practice competition grounds near you? I thought the same about the area near me, but it turns out there are quite a few. Just got to find out about the clubs nearby and where they hold their trials.

Not as easy a job as you’d think. Seems there are a number of trials/auto clubs are still cheque and form in the post arrangements. There might be a website that someone knocked up 9 years ago and hasn’t been touched since, apart from the date of the 2013 AGM, and the grounds will have some vague name of a farm that you can’t find without quite a bit of sleuthing.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

same down here nedrapier, trying to find info from a club is like the dark ages of communication. ive even asked on club facebook pages and received no responses, which is crazy as entries are down at events so you would have thought it woyuld be in their interest to encourage people.

and dont even start me on bike shops who once they find out you dont want to spend 5grand on a machine literally walk away from you. had that twice now.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

They all seem to be similar.

its really cost/ease of servicing i’m wondering about, and things specific to certain makes.

for instance ive heard gas gas are fragile, and i’ve heard beta have issues with flooding carbs and sticking clutches. apparently beta have an odd rear shock too that can be an issue.

colp

Not had a Gas Gas trials but have had 2 EC 300 enduros and really rate them. Reliable and good value for money.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Spunk ya cash on a……

for instance ive heard gas gas are fragile, and i’ve heard beta have issues with flooding carbs and sticking clutches.

My mates lad is called Joe Hutchinson, Hutchy for short obs. At the SSDT last year he so much trouble with the clutch on his Gas Gas everyone ended up calling him ‘Clutchy’! He was The Gas Gas vans best customer.

Still finished though.

I like that MAR Ossa Bikey boy!

birky
    Free Member
    uselesshippy
    Free Member

I’d your looking for events or clubs, tmx is your friend.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve had a look through the ACU link and I’m surprised that there are a few clubs around my way, as mentioned though they’re all phone numbers only..

Still, if I can find an event I’m definitely going along to have a look.

I don’t want a new style bike, I want an 80’s ring dinger…

taxi25
    Free Member

AMCA have a number of trials clubs all over the country. You can even do that new fangaled internet entry thing !
    https://secure.amca.uk.com/multievents/layout5.asp?pid=268
    Love the Montess a EGF 😀 I had the UKR 247 mid seventies. As far as something newer I’d get whatever was in the best condition regardless of make.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

I don’t want a new style bike, I want an 80’s ring dinger..

i love the old bikes, i want to get another 70s bultaco at some stage, but i know from when i rode that my armstrong was head and shoulders above the bulto 325 i also had and at the time my mate had just bought o0ne of the first yammie mono and that was another league again, so i just fancy a more modern bike just to see what it can do. thats the interest really.

maybe the biggest prob for me though will be not sneaking into the woods, complete with stream, at the bottom of my garden to play. its perfect for trials and indeed there is an annual one being held in 2 weeks.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve found a few Yam TL250’s in very good nick for less than £1500.. mono shocked but hey..

On eBay there are a few OSSA MAR’s…

I’ve found an event this Sunday near Romsey.. thats about 40mins drive…

Sorry to nab your thread..

DaveVanderspek
    Free Member

I’d be looking at a mont 315 but these are going up in value now. Beta rev3 would be next choice. That vertigo pictured above is nice but these suffer from a few problems (gearbox failure,ignition failure) 2 of my friends have ditched theirs & one cant sell it to anyone!!
    They have moved to TRS.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Scott Trial next Saturday, anyone else going?

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’d be looking at a mont 315 but these are going up in value now.

Yep I paid £500 for mine about 4 years ago…. Prob worth about £900 now.
    The thing I like about the (70’s & 80’s) twinshocks is their simplicity and the fact that you can actually sit down on them!
    Most of the time I’m pottering around my paddocks being chased by my dogs… Would be great if I could sit down!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Join the nearest club that does trials. Go to meetings and trials and ask. Stick a wanted sign on your car at the trial. Been Sec for my club for a decade and thus get the “how can I join” calls. Most people make the noises but never show up and thus miss the ” Got a new bike last night, who wants the old one?” conversations.
    OP, where are you?

sharkbait
    Free Member

My toy in a state of undress (work on the carb to be done)

birky
    Free Member

My two, unused for years and gathering dust

sharkbait
    Free Member

Nice Yammy.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Spunk ya cash on a……

for instance ive heard gas gas are fragile, and i’ve heard beta have issues with flooding carbs and sticking clutches.
    My mates lad is called Joe Hutchinson, Hutchy for short obs. At the SSDT last year he so much trouble with the clutch on his Gas Gas everyone ended up calling him ‘Clutchy’! He was The Gas Gas vans best customer.

Still finished though.

I like that MAR Ossa Bikey boy!

Just had to look up the weight of that bike. 67Kg dry weight, I can’t imagine the oil and petrol will add much to it. I’ve ever ridden a an Bultaco trials bike once and it will have made that look porky.

birky
    Free Member

Cheers. Family heirloom, Dad bought it new in ’77, did my first trial on it aged 13 in ’79

bikebouy
    Free Member

Lovely TY there..

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i’m down in west cornwall, trials are very easy to find down here and a couple of the clubs have regular practice days. as i say there is even one in the woods below my house sunday after next.

locally there are two beta rev 3 that i know of for sale, no montesa 315 at all which is a shame as if i could find one at the right price i would be very tempted after reading nothing but good reports on them.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

thanks for the link but right now i’m going to settle on what i can find locally just because of the time and cost of fuel involved (sandbach is over 300 miles each way) – unless an utter bargain comes up that is.

i really just want a machine to have a go on again, if i like it i’ll then look for a better bike next year and yes for that i will no doubt have to drive.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Even Mr Guy Martin rides a bit of trials (not brilliantly I’m happy to see 😉 )
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBnc27ny3Rg[/video]

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Even Mr Guy Martin rides a bit of trials (not brilliantly I’m happy to see )

Correct, saw him at the Pre 65 that year where he finished dead last. He did finish though which is more than a lot could do.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘riding trials again… older sherco, gas gas or beta?’ is closed to new replies.