Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Riding tops – where do you get them from?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

I wanna get some new riding tops and just wondering where everyone gets theirs from?

Jamie
    Free Member

Shops mostly 😉

….but are you after MTB loose fitting stuff or roady tigher fitting stuff? Waterproof? Windproof?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Mainly T-shirt stylee tops, ideally not tight or plastic. Normally buy merino

uplink
    Free Member

Anywhere that is knocking them out cheap – I think I’ve exclusively shopped at On-one this year for tops

DezB
    Free Member

I reckon Wiggle (Sombrio, Sugoi etc) are the best for that sort of thing.
    Also alwaysriding.co.uk. Have got stuff from Evans sale in the past (and CRC of course)

Stif too.

yossarian
    Free Member

Ground effect are very, very good indeed.

Edit: if it’s merino then also try ibex, surly, swobo & rapha 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

DHB stuff from Wiggle is always good value, but like Uplink I always keep an eye on what is in the sales as On-one/Planet-X. Merlin etc. Surprisingly, Amazon sometimes have some biking gear for decent prices.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Good ideas there, normally use Howies and ground effect, but found Howies too expensivve a d ground effect sizing a bit odd

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

LBS – being able to try them on for size and look more than offsets the slightly higher price.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

My LBS’s don’t do the best range, although my favourite waz a bontrager top from Chelt cycles.

Trekster

my lbs currently stocks Craft & Endura. Have not bought much for a few years and find a lot of the new “technical” gear very flimsy
    Recently got some nice Nike stuff from the local outlet shop. There is also a Sports Direct outlet which has stocks of Karrimor stuff which looks Ok.

antigee

Sports Direct for £7 karrimor tops – nothing special but I don’t hum

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Interesting…. My earlier comment that I buy mine from bike shops appears to have been modded out.

Are STW anti LBS?

🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Recently got some nice Nike stuff from the local outlet shop. There is also a Sports Direct outlet which has stocks of Karrimor stuff which looks Ok.

Nike used to make some really nice and reasonably priced biking stuff. Shame they got out of the market.

_tom_
    Free Member

Berghaus Tech T’s are my favourite. Good fit and seem to be harder wearing than the Troy Lee which was twice the price – few washes and that’s already starting to bobble and fray. And the Tech T’s make me look like I have “sculpted guns” 😉 😆

RustySpanner

Decathlon are great for cycling tops. Nice big zipped pockets that will take a scrunched up waterproof.
    Cheap too.

Jamie
    Free Member

…and lets not forget Aldi and Lidl will probably be getting some stuff in soon I would imagine. Some stuff is better than others, but I have got some pretty decent gear from there which has lasted me.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My LBS is very expensive – as are most LBSs – for clothing. If it’s good quality at a giveaway price then fine. However I’ll either by a top online or will go for Sports Direct’s Karrimor stuff.

Sometimes Moto X tops can be picked up for next to nothing.

+1 for Decathlon tops, I picked up a couple for the stepsons a while back and they’re really very good.

antigee

local Lidl had some this week but being a short mesomorph and not a slim 6ft german I find they never fit so have stopped considering

did get a £6.00 pump though (for pumping up tyres not to be worn on a body part)

edit

Nike used to make some really nice and reasonably priced biking stuff

do they still do but sold under “triathlon”?

Basil

Loving Patagonia from Ebay

Jamie
    Free Member

Not sure. Nikestore doesn’t have anything, also Evans and Wiggle used to carry stuff, but no longer do and Wiggle does running/tri gear.

matt_outandabout

Patagonia synthetic for hot days, HH merino/synthetic hybrids average day and Patagonia merino for wet days/caneoing….

Basil

Patagonia when I do a tour. Same base for a few days without getting thrown out of the pub in the evening!

antigee

antigee

Jamie – Member

Not sure. Nikestore doesn’t have anything, also Evans and Wiggle used to carry stuff, but no longer do and Wiggle does running/tri gear.

think you sadly you are right i had a couple of very nice Nike vest style tops well cut and ventilated and with triple pockets that worked well and haven’t managed to replace

Trekster

Jamie – Member
    Nike used to make some really nice and reasonably priced biking stuff. Shame they got out of the market

???????????????????????
    Got some long sleeved running tops which are good imo @ £20 v at least £40 for equivalent biking top. OK no rear pocket but short sleeved biking top underneath sorts that out 😆 Also have a gillet from a few years back before they became fashionable in biking circles 🙄

juan
    Free Member

Are STW anti LBS?

Well guess who pays the biggest add bill 😉
    I buy mine from my LBS. Don’t care the price on-line as you can’t try them and to be fair as I don’t change top that often it’s not going to make a massive difference. Decathlon stuff is nowhere as good as branded stuff. So we are avoiding it unless for socks as it doesn’t make a lot of difference. But then I am happy to consider I am odd

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Juan, you old cynic you!

Ça va bien, mon vieux?

eviljoe
    Free Member

Try searching ebay for ‘retro cycling jersey’ I found a couple of great ones, paid 6 quid. For both of them: -)

NikNak7890
    Free Member
    theotherjonv

been very impressed by the top I bought from this lot in terms of fabric and cut; they have both roadie style jerseys (zips and pockets, etc.) as well as more causal type as per the link.

http://www.tenn-outdoors.co.uk/trail-short-sleeve-off-road-jersey-black-sml

According to their website (or linked from it) they use a fabric made from recycled coffee beans or plants or something, which has mystical odour improving properties. I’ve never worn mine over and over to check that out, will try it one of these days. At £13 for a ‘casual’ style top how badly wrong could it go?

http://www.scafefabrics.com/Default.aspx

I think the mag reviewed a ladies top from them earlier this year.

juan
    Free Member

Ça va bien, mon vieux?

Bof I have known better days, I use to come on here to lighten (or not) my days, but this place is nowhere as fun as it used to be. Long are gone the days of endless ranting/arguing between you, stoner, the little noisy one, griz, noteeth and ianmuro. Even SFB has gone.
    Arfff…

neninja
    Free Member

Got 3 from Cycle Surgery recently when they had a 40% off offer on top of already significantly reduced prices. Got them for about a 1/3 of rrp.

Blackhound
    chakaping
    Free Member

So which Patagonia garments are good for riding please?

I have a credit note I need to spend with them.

juan
    Free Member

Silkweight lightweight and midweight all as a first layer

spoon
    Free Member
    rootes1
    scottalej
    Free Member

Not much colour choice and don’t have a ‘label’ but they’re cheap, work brilliantly and last for years.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Army-Issue-Brown-Coolmax-T-Shirt-Size-112cm-Large-/380129015894?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item5881747856#ht_500wt_665

spoon
    Free Member

the tenn stuff looks good, anyone used any of their products ?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Riding tops – where do you get them from?’ is closed to new replies.