Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Riding too fast on bridleways?
  • cinnamon_girl

Could I politely point out that some walkers are elderly and their hearing is not as crystal as it could be. Pretty similar to a female mountain biker really 😳

What annoys me is dog walkers with an MP3 plugged in, or the "Executive" that needs to walk his dog with his Bluetooth 🙄

Muddy@rseTony
    Free Member

Doh, leading a group ride this sunday made the stupid mistake of using a bridleway with blind corners which is usually very quite but of course it's blackberry picking session.

Coming round one of the corners there were two pickers/walkers in the way – we all managed to stop and they had moved out the way but it's not the best advertisement for responsible riding.

Reflecting on it the biggest issue is the potential stack towards the rear of a group of riders. The walkers did not say anything but if I had been in their position I would not have been impressed. Lesson learnt – slow for blind corners and keep group rides on as much open trail as possible.

At 10mph a bike travels 4.4 metres in a second so given 0.5 seconds reaction time that equals 2.2 metres plus braking time. Not an expert but it looks to me that a bike stops in something like 4 metres or two bike lengths. A car travelling at 20mph (perceived as slow to most walkers) needs 12 metres. So a farmers Land Rover is likely to represent more risk to the average walker.

grtdkad

Went out for my first daytime ride in ages last Friday…lasted no more than 45 minutes before I was fed up with the loose dogs and young (4/5 yr olds) around every other corner…went home, had tea and put the lights back on and waited 'til later when I have the hills more-or-less to myself. Selfish I know…slow up but loads of adrenalin boost where its needed!!!
    …so I guess the gist is for max enjoyment the location and the time of day needs to be right and under cover of darkness includes some cheeky roller coaster sections too…normally OoB

Metasequoia

always slow down for horses, walkers can move, and old people should be at home knitting. What amazes me though is how a single elderly walker can take up an entire pathway and be completely oblivious to anyone else walking, running, or cycling; they wont move but have a good old moan when you try and politely squeeze past.

I was out riding sunday, moderate speed, and some old dude shouted "OI!! Slow down where my dog is" (his dog was, at that moment, curling out a tyre grenade), to which I replied "Your dog should be on a f###ing lead, and clean its sh1t up you dirty old b##ard".. he stopped and was cursing and was shaking his fist, wanting to fight me. I nearly fell off my bike laughing.[/i]

That's a very sad post

cinnamon_girl

That's a very sad post

I agree! I'm fed up with the stick that we get hence my PR exercise whenever I go out and particularly with a group ride.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Riding too fast on bridleways?’ is closed to new replies.