Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Riding time
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

How many rides do people do a week? At the moment I can manage two, one hour rides if I’m on early shifts 0700-1445) and a longer ride one one day off and a hour after housework and seeing family. My shifts are usually two earlies and three lates (1330-2130)

Also splitting time between road and mtb. If people had similar hours how would you plan your riding week for building fitness up? Plus managing your family time etc.

There seems not enough hours in the week to cram everything in. And I only work 37.5 hours a week plus hour each way travelling to/from work.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I work 12 hour shifts 2 days (07:30 – 19:30) 2 nights (19:30 – 07:30) and 5 days off. I managed to squeeze in 41 hours of riding last month.
    Is riding to and from work an option?
    I find having some kind of target (Strava climbing challenge did it for me last month) helps.

trevron73
    Free Member

I struggle to get 1 ride a week in ? i got a new born and i work 5 x 14 hour shifts, days off i am knackered and have to really force a ride .

mrphil
    Free Member

At the moment 2 rides a week.

Sometimes 3 if I do an uplift.

Plan for next month as changing to 6-2, 2-10 shift.

6-2

Ride to work an back (8 mile trip)5 days.
    Evening rides will be Local 2 days and a mid week Llandegla night ride.
    Weekend most likely a Saturday ride, intend on a large 50-60 mile trip.
    Sunday, group spin at a possible trail/natural place.

2-10

8am wake up, 10 mile Monday spin before work.

Again mid week early spin at either a natural trail or centre nearby.

Weekend the same as above.

This is the plan anyway.

Lester
    Free Member

i ride every tuesday and every thursday for 2 hours WHATEVER the conditions, it helps starting and finishing at a pub!:-)we leave at 7 and aim to get back at nine for some pub grub.
    i get up for work at 3:30 every day so sometimes ( hang my head in shame) i go to work still muddy :-)wet wipe the face and bits.im ALWAYS tired.
    i ride on a sunday for half a day.
    mind you im not married and dont have kids but i do have a g/f

weeksy

3-4 rides, usually 2 of them are an hour and 15 mins, the others are a bit longer. Add to that I get either 2-3 gym sessions which usually involve cycling, but lately are rowing based.

Amazingly though my fitness isn’t great.. it’s not bad… but not world beating…

A regular poster on here Crosshair has shown this year that’s it’s not riding more, it’s riding more intelligently that gets results. He’s putting in about the same hours as me per week, but has destroyed me fitness wise. He’s following a Friel plan and it certainly seems to be working for sure.

However, I don’t enjoy his training/riding, so I suffer with more enjoyment but lower quality of riding.

MoreCashThanDash

This week I’ll commute to work Thursday and Friday, 12 miles each way

Wednesday night is bike and beer night – recent hedge trimming related punctures have cut those to about 10 miles on the MTB.

Should get out Sunday for half a day on the road bike, 40-50 miles.

That’s pretty much a normal week for me. MrsMC and I work long/short days between us to cover getting the youngest to school, mid week rides are Wednesdays as that is the only night there aren’t kids activities to run around after, Saturdays I often ride while MrsMC does kids activity transport, Sundays are the only day we are all able to spend a day together, usually walking or cycling.

Sometimes I wish my kids were lazy, talentless, couch potatoes, it would free up more riding time.

tops5
    Free Member

3hr night ride every Tuesday. “Proper” ride every weekend.

With longer days coming I’m hoping to start commuting the last 3 or 4 miles to work soon

warpcow
    Free Member

My time looked a lot like MoreCashThanDash’s until the last couple of weeks. My wife just started back on shifts for the first time since our son was born and now are schedules are a mess. Pretty much every week for the foreseeable future she works when I’m off and vice-versa. Riding to work, and one ‘proper’ ride every couple of weeks seems to be it for me until we figure it out.

ononeorange

1ride a week if lucky. Don’t get home until 8 or so and by the time I’ve eaten I’m ready for bed (up early). Which all means I can never develop any real fitness, sadly.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Self employed with two small kids. Still manage six or seven “rides” a week. There’s a lot of lunchtime and late night turbo, and some late night riding with the lights, to fit it all in.

beej

At the moment:
    3-4 hour long lunchtime sessions on the Wattbikes in the work gym, or turbo sessions after work at home.
    3-4 hours Sat, 2-3 hours Sun.

When it’s a little warmer:
    3-4 1-2 hour outside rides in the week, sometimes a longer commute that I can double up on by doing the longer route home too.
    4-6 hours Sat, 2-3 hours Sun.

Doing a longer commute is a good way for me to get more riding time in, the normal commute is only 6 minutes so I’ve a few longer loops that start at home and end up at work.

amedias
    Free Member

a ‘normal’ week for me is:

> riding to work and back every day which is 2.5miles in (10min short route) and ~10miles on the way home (30-45 min long route)
    > tuesday night ride out to see my parents of ~30miles round trip
    > weds night ride which alternates between offroad and on road of 1-1.5hrs
    > every other saturday morning 30-40miler on the road bike
    > Sunday morning MTB group ride (or racing if there’s one on locally), or 50-70mile Club run if I’m feeling in a roadie mood.

Strava says my average weekly distance fluctuates between 85 and 140miles depending on the road/MTB split, and looks like time fluctuates between 6 and 14hrs a week on the bike.

Some people manage to fit in a LOT more than that!

plus hour each way travelling to/from work

don’t forget this is eating up an extra 10 hours per week of your time so you’re effectively working a 47.5hr week unless you use that commuting time for something else.

The main ting to remember though, is aim for smiles not miles, don’t force yourself to ride just to clock up miles or hours, as you’ll start to resent it and wont enjoy it.

Every now and again I’ll have a monster couple of weeks and ride loads, and sometimes I’ll aheva week off (except commuting), you have to make sure you don’t overdo it.

But if you *want* to fit more riding in then you’ll have to look at other ways of fitting it in, build it into a commute if you can, ditch some of the TV watching, get up earlier etc.

pete68
    Free Member

According to strava, so far this year I’ve done 5 rides per week averaging 175 miles. This is more than usual but I’ve got some pong rides in the summer so need to do the hours.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Thursday is ride night with the gang 25 miles with them plus 3 – 40 depending where we start from and whether I ride or drive to and from the start.

Tuesday in my day off and the 6 hours the rest of the family are out of the house get split between domestic chores and riding.

I work Saturdays so Sunday will be an hour or maybe longer if I take MB Junior with me.

Commuting doesn’t really count as it’s only a mile each way.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

To & from work, normally 4 days a week which is 30km a day

At least 1 ride at the weekend. I do try & get in 2-3-4 turbo sessions a week too at the moment, as i’m pushing to get fitter 🙂

hilldodger
    Free Member

commute to work, roughly 10 miles each way off or on road depending on weather.
    Usually try to get a couple of hours midweek evening ride in plus a few at weekends – once the weather improves the homeward commute will be extended up to 3 or 4 hours some days 🙂

northernmatt

Currently not good. Once a week.

Can’t commute as an all mountain bike or fatty would kill me before I got to work. Got a London Road on order so that’ll change soon.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

For the first time since Autumn I can finally say I’m managing to ride weekly. Only once a week, but it’s a start 🙂

I used to regularly ride at the weekend – road or MTB – and then get out for an evening ride (sometimes two!) mid-week. Along came stilltortoise Jnr 3 and that went to pot. I’m optimistic for getting back into a routine again.

I once asked a guy I was riding with how he managed to ride so often with kids to raise. His answer? “I’m selfish”.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Typically I’ll be out (mtb) on an all day muck about Sat or Sunday, often both days, plus at least one night ride (2hr) during the week, maybe two. Then in my current “between contracts” status maybe a weekday rides or two. Mix of play and exploring if I’m on my own.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I get a morning each weekend, I’m out by 08:30 and try to be home for 13:00, but it doesn’t always work that way – come BST I also get a few hours one evening a week.

I don’t seem to have any ‘spare’ time anymore, every minute of everyday seems to be accounted for, for something.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

commuting by bike is the answer for me, without it I would be an ex cyclist with a big gut.

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

On the 1330 -2130 I set off at 1200 (commute is 17 miles each way) I could if I stop being lazy, getting up at 1030 fit a hour ride in. So either 10 miles mtb or 15/20 road. But I just don’t want to feel knackered before work.
    Early shifts 0700-1445 and back home for 1600 I usually squeeze in a hour before teatime.

Days off, I use one day for cleaning house, visiting parents and my other day is free for doing whatever I please.

Love to commute to work but there is no washing facilities. And I don’t think my fitness levels are up to that just yet.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Working away Monday- Friday is making any kinda riding impossible at the minute.
    I’ve just set off on my own, so getting some decent £, but everything else is struggling.

Still, its early days, so just gonna take the hit for the time being.

It does hurt though..

creamegg
    Free Member

2 or 3 4-5 hour rides a week

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Riding time’ is closed to new replies.