Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Riding Snowdon tomorrow – any tips?
  • neil853
    Free Member

As title really has anyone done it? weather forecast doesn’t look too bad but and helpful hints on kit/spares are always useful

16stonepig
    Free Member

Which way are you coming down?
    I’d advise tubeless, or a slime tube, and a CO2 pump so you don’t have to stand around for 10 minutes in driving hail when you fix the first pinch flat.

Apart from that, just pin it. Rangers was my favourite descent last year. I spent most of it alternating between “Aaaaaaargh!” and “Teeeheeheehee! Splat!”
    You’ll find most pedestrians happily scrambling out of the way.

neil853
    Free Member

Yeah i’m tubeless already and the CO2 pack is in! Also taking warm clothes and the usual high level kit.

Think WE’re going up the Llanberis(?) then down the Rangers path, good then is it? I’m looking forward to it!

16stonepig
    Free Member

Yep, it’s brilliant. Just don’t miss the right hand turn to the push over the ridge. It’s signposted but there isn’t a path as such.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

[envy]

ianpinder
    Free Member

Wait till Sunday when the sun will shine, hopefully. I’m planning on doing an early morning ascent on Sunday try and get up by sunrise.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Hoping to do this at the end of April.

Ax3M4n
    Free Member

Get the train to the top.

goog
    Free Member

take a full face helmet !

sh1tforbrains
    Free Member

Crib Gogh is the only route worth riding IMHO.

scottidog
    Free Member

Rangers path is amazing.

I’ll echo what 16 stone pig says about the path (or not) over the ridge back to Llanberis, we missed it and ended up pretty much at the bottom before realising. The technical section of rangers ends very obviously and the terrain flattens out. After a while you go through a metal gate and you need to climb up over a grassy back shortly afterwards. There’s just a wooden post to sign it and it’s barely visible when coming down the hill.

Don’t think your 100% safe with tubeless, those rocks are bloody sharp and put a lovely tear in my back tyre ended up having to stick a tube in!

IamSam
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZgoxhilGoY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Not me or anybody I know, but VERY VERY VERY impressive. 6 mins top to bottom

A friend found the video as well.

Oh yeah advice……………. don’t go this fast you will die 🙂

peachos
    Free Member

is it ridable? going up with the GF and a few mates in a few weeks and she reckons it is totally unridable, but then a mate has said that after the ridge it would be ace on the way down.

i think i’m going to have to carry my bike up there…

goog
    Free Member

after the ridge its fine but you loose loads of height before the fun starts

molgrips
    Free Member

That is seriously impressive.

neil853
    Free Member

I’m wearing knee pads i reckon 😯

portlyone

+1 for missing the “path” to Llanberis off Rangers. There is nothing on the ground to mark the path, or indeed is it visible as such.

Knee pads would have made me braver, so would brakes that could stop me!

Rhyd-Ddu for us next time I think.

Crib Goch is cheeky?

elliptic
    Free Member

is it ridable?

NO.

Not even a little bit.

mccett
    Free Member

Pretty sure there was no sign back to Llanberis via Telegraph last time we did it… October …so def just make sure you make the right turn after the gate once Rangers flattens out – there is a bog and some flat singletrack beforehand, keep looking right for signs of trail up grassy hill. Telegraph Valley very enjoyable route back, Rangers is great descent, esp when quiet.

Some pics here… Snowdon Ride and click Snowdon Ride gallery

summittoppler
    Free Member

Take a camera and watch out for the ice!! There’s a few patches of snow so you’ll be guarenteed ice!

Have fun

leonthepro
    Free Member

Ice skates. There is still some nice around the summit.

yunki
    Free Member

try and face the direction in which you are travelling if at all possible..

allthepies
    Free Member

LOL @ the riding Crib Goch enquiries. I guess you’ve never seen it!

DaddyCool
    Free Member

I heard a good way is up the telegraph valley and down the Llanberis path… Never ridden it though. Will do it in a couple of weeks once the new bike has arrived!

fatboyjon

I’ve just watched that video.

Anybody want to buy all my bikes and riding kit as I obviously have no idea how to ride a bike?

chiefP
    Free Member

DO NOT do the Llanberis decent, its the worst decent ever since they put in the new unfreindly bike paths in. I did it on a full DH rig and was never so happy to get back down.

Rangers is the only way down IMO.

neil853
    Free Member

That’s the hardest decent I’ve ever done, been cycling quite a long time and trails very rarely beat me but I walked a section of that 🙁 next time though! Its an amazing decent! Not for beginners though!!

slowrider
    Free Member

Welcome to rangers addicts anonymous 😀

chiefP
    Free Member

Neil was it the Llanberis you did or the Rangers?

allthepies
    Free Member

Must be Rangers unless Llanberis has been “gnarled up” recently 🙂

neil853
    Free Member

We rode up (most) of the llanberis and down the rangers, that trail is amazing, not come across anything like that in the UK before, similar stuff in the lakes and peaks but no where near as extreme/severe

snaps
    Free Member

We managed 71% (according to Garmin) ride up but the new steps stopped us riding more of it.
    Tis a a fair rocky decent – what was the visibility like?
    We did the ‘beris/rangers route on the first monday in Oct & got these views.
    SNOWDON

chiefP
    Free Member

You will find not many can do the full Rangers without hoping off somehwere along the decent but still the best decent you can do.

The new steps on the Llanberis are hurendous to ride down, i dont mind a bit of arm pump but the new paths are extreme arm pump.

bland

We ended up looking at the telegraph track on the way up and then when we got to the start couldnt see anything that looked like a track so carried on down the Rangers to teh end, that was a big mistake indeed, the road ride back wiped me out!

Ace track the rangers indeed. Props to that chap on the DH bike (however i suspect its easier in mid just when they did it – can you ride the rangers legally in June), its a hard old descent, not one for the feint hearted, but definately worth doing

chiefP
    Free Member

Yes you can so it Legally anytiime its just a Voluntary Ban but we keep to it, you can do it after 1700hrs on a Summers Day which is better as its quiet.

There is a small sign pointing you to go right up a steep grassy bank, easily missed about 300yrds before you come to the Zig-Zag, hopefully this map will help

http://www.sharemyroutes.com/routes/United-Kingdom/Llanberis-Caernarfonshire-and-Merionethshire-Wal/Snowdon-via-Llanberis-Path/elevationgmap.aspx

ianpinder
    Free Member

I have a feeling that that film is sped up

grum
    Free Member

I have a feeling that that film is sped up

I’ve taken video with my GoPro that looks speeded up – not sure why but something about the perspective seems to make things look very fast indeed.

lowey

The lad who shot it is on here. He posted it a few months ago.

Kahunas.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Riding Snowdon tomorrow – any tips?’ is closed to new replies.