Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Riding Rivington – San Marino lots
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Sorry to break the bad news Rob (note the same yellow Yeti in pics)…

https://www.rootsandrain.com/rider7668/matt-gill/photos/

http://www.strava.com/athletes/721111

womp
    Free Member
    slowpuncheur
    Free Member

Cheers Womp

womp
    Free Member

No probs, looks like Matt (who ever he may be) lost the KOM at the weekend to Craig (who I heard off a guy in the pub is an ex pro that got got banned)

jonjones262
    Free Member

Wow! Just seen the KOM time for the guy who rode it the same day as me!

He cuts the right hander. wonder how much time that chops off?

radrob
    Free Member

Maybe don’t believe the hype then haha

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m sure Mr Gill is pretty flattered to have people thinking he’s Sam Hill anyway.

The real Sam Hill was slower than me down San Marino (but probably stopped to mend a puncture).

radrob
    Free Member

He must be buzzing chakaping ;). I’d prob beat them both down if I tried guys

grum
    Free Member

I find it weird that Sam Hill has ridden San Marino at all. I think I’d be embarrassed to show him that as an example of a good UK descent. 😛

Junkyard
    Free Member

perhaps hebbden was just too busy that day for him to get there?

D0NK

I think I’d be embarrassed to show him that as an example of a good UK descent

harsh grum, it might not appear on a “top 10/20 UK descents” but if Mr Hill turned up at my house and asked to go on a local ride san marino would be on the route.

Amongst other downhills that might actually include a corner or two 😉

grum
    Free Member

perhaps hebbden was just too busy that day for him to get there?

🙂

harsh grum, it might not appear on a “top 10/20 UK descents” but if Mr Hill turned up at my house and asked to go on a local ride san marino would be on the route.

Would he even notice that he was going downhill on San Marino? 😛

radrob
    Free Member

It could catch him out I reckon if he wasn’t focused grum. Rivi is a great local place to ride and on a massive scale if you know were to go. Loads of good techy stuff as well

Bregante

grum I think you’d be very surprised how much riding Mr Hill has done around the north west 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

Would he even notice that he was going downhill on San Marino?

Happy to ride up it with you so you can decide if it has a gradient or not 😉
    He has ridden here with me I cannot remember if we did san marino but the Ice cream run in the dark without a light was interesting.

grum
    Free Member

grum I think you’d be very surprised how much riding Mr Hill has done around the north west

I guess I would – didn’t realise he’d done any. How does he feel about carrying his bike up a hill for an hour or so at a time? 🙂

Just got back from doing the 4 passes in the Lakes – would be ace to see him ride some stuff like that.

He has ridden here with me I cannot remember if we did san marino but the Ice cream run in the dark without a light was interesting.

He as in Sam Hill?

Happy to ride up it with you so you can decide if it has a gradient or not

I’m super fit and skinny these days JY so no problem. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

No he as in you GRUM 🙄

Was that intentional – claim it anyway I would 😛

chakaping
    Free Member

The world cup DH riders have been grumbling about how the tracks are getting more open and fast these days, I’m surprised we don’t see more of them sessioning the San Marino for practice.

Rivi is a great local place to ride and on a massive scale if you know were to go. Loads of good techy stuff as well

Got to agree with Rob, still finding more technical stuff over there myself after coming to the area 18 months ago.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Indeed there is some sneaky stuff about but you often end up in a bog 😉

what days do you ride chapa – would be useful to meet up at some point and see if we have options we do not know about

I usually ride Tuesday night with DONK of this parish and a couple of weekends a month – friday solo as well or road bike in winter.

chakaping
    Free Member

I could probably get out one Tues eve, I’ll drop you a line.

lowey

Take a spare chain for Junky… just in case.

Junkyard
    Free Member

rather amusingly I am in the lakes [ at Mrs JY] and I gone and done it again …SERIOUSLY AGAIN 😯

FFS

badllama
    Free Member

One of my faves at present is Great Hill to White Coppice super fast at the top and techy at the bottom what’s not to like 😀

All be it, a bit cheeky 😛

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes that’s a belter of a descent.

Do you do it as an up and back? I have previously slogged up the grass from tockholes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

that is not that bad in the dry depending on which way you pick

personally I ride it from either top of belmont road or up form lead mines clough – IMHO it needs dry weather or frozen ground

timc
    Free Member

i ride down San Marino, up through belmont joining WW. Along to Tockholes working my way through to Abbey Village.

I then road it to Brinscall & climb up Great hill on the road & bridleway from there.

Your two grassy routes are torture.

Junkyard
    Free Member

MTFU 😉

They are if it is wet and boggy so it is a height of summer /depths of winter route for me.

your way is a long trek to get to the top IMHO but it is actually rideable and not boggy

JohnClimber
    Free Member

badllama
    Free Member

chakaping we do it part of a bigger ride and slogged it up from Old Man’s Hill off the Witton Weavers Way behind Belmont Res.

Start at the car park by the big school near Rivi Barn (The Castle).
    Then up Wilderswood the up Dog Kennels then up to the mast.

Then San Marino, edge of Belmont Village turn right towards Charters Moss Plantation then Joint Witton Weavers Way to Old Man’s Hill.

Up Great Hill to White Coppice then Healey Nab (not going round it though) Lane Ends then back through the park to the car park.
    🙂

TBH the hike a bike near the top of Great Hill was good training for Walnascar Road in the Lakes the other week LOL 😀

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Riding Rivington – San Marino lots’ is closed to new replies.