Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Riding on Dartmoor……can you?
  • ton

are there any area’s of dartmoor that are out of bounds. for riding.

jam-bo

The ranges when they are firing.

snaps
    Free Member

Live firing times

Theres also a right of way dispute near Meldon reservoir but the detour is signed.

burgatedicky

Having spent many a night wild-camping on north Dartmoor I’d say that as long as you avoid the firing times (obvious really) you should be absolutely fine. I’ve spent whole weekends down there and not seen a soul.
    However, you’ll need to be bleeding fit, or slightly unhinged, to venture off the paths on a bike. Even when its not saturated and a bog the grass is long and the ground very rough.
    This is a shame as it does limit you from seeing some of the best (and most remote) areas of the moor.
    Still, its a cracking part of the country, so good luck!

bikesian65
    Free Member

Ton

The best way to get deep into the north moor is to go via the firing ranges at Okehampton ( when not firing obviously) – I had a good adventure that way when I tried to get to cranmer pool – a most excellent day of hike a bike/bog hopping/ I am lost and Army types paying war with blank rounds as you cycle past- a good ride on the south moor is up to redlake ( google red lake ) via an old tram way that winds it way into the moor from near Ivybridge – managed to explode the rear tube on my jones racing the sun coming back down ( it was in Feb and cold as the sun dropped) . Lustliegh cleave is good as well – there is an event called devon dirt on easter sunday hats a good day out as well ( lanes/byways/woods/moorland)

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Technically, the only parts of Dartmoor available for riding are the bridleways or other non-footpath PRoW.

I have heard of riding taking place on other paths, however.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Riding on Dartmoor……can you?’ is closed to new replies.