Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Riding not the downhill tracks from the Glencoe uplift?
  • blob
    Free Member

A few of us are looking for some riding around Glencoe hopefully involving the uplift to get some height and then single track back down, that isn’t just the downhill trails. Does anyone know of anything like that?
    Cheers

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

The “footpath” under the pylons is unrideable. There is the DH track and the Red route, and a Blue is on the way. Good luck with anything else. The terrain is pretty rough, and little travelled.

13thfloormonk

Drive to the foot of the Devil’s staircase, then descend to Kinlochleven and pay for the driver to take a taxi back to the car, that’s the only reasonable way I can think of to gain extra height without pedaling, you still need to climb the Devil’s staircase though! 8)

scotroutes

There is a walkers track off the summit, heading west across the intervening col to Creise and Sron na Creise where it descends steeply to the valley. I’ve not been there for a while but it’s certainly not the sort of terrain that *I* would choose to take a bike on. YMMV

blob
    Free Member

OK thanks for the heads up. Anyone ridden at laggan? Is it worth the drive from fort William?

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I have followed some of the track to/from Creise and Sron na Creise on ski. Some of the group elected to downclimb rather than ski, as even on ski it can be pretty committing. It would be suicide on a bike.

br
    Free Member

Ride from Glencoe to Kinlochleven and then back again, the descent into KLL is very good. And to spice it up a bit, don’t come back up the WHW from KLL but head towards the Blackwater and then around back to the Staircase.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

If you cycle from the top end of the Glen along the road till you get to the start of the old military road and follow that all the way down to the Clachaig, I did this on a summers day with long grass brushing my legs on the way past, with the scenery and all, I have to say it almost felt spiritual!

kayak23

I quite liked Laggan, though it’s a few years since I’ve been. Some of the black section seemed unusually challenging for a trail centre.
    Pretty good like.

Mbnut
    Free Member

What BR said re Devils Staircase-KLL-Blackwater.

I love Laggan, varied, some toughish sections, some flowy. Very easy climb and quite modular, easy to do bits again type thing. Pretty area too.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

I also very much enjoyed Laggan. Easy to do laps of the descents. The black is fairly technical too.

Northwind

Laggan is ace- but closed this weekend I imagine for the Scottish Enduro Series.

Glencoe website mentions trails up on the plateau, accessed by the lift… But it sounds like maybe it’s use the lift to get up there, rather than really uplifted? Don’t know any more about it than that though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Drive on by. Go to Fort William instead, and ride the red DH run, it’ll take you about 15 minutes a run, and you’ll get about 8 runs in. 2 hours of descending ain’t to be sneezed at.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Riding not the downhill tracks from the Glencoe uplift?’ is closed to new replies.