Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Riding near Swindon?
  • krag
    Free Member

I'm currently working up in Swindon and staying up during the week so would like to fit some riding in. Any suggestions on where to ride for a few hours after work? I've heard Marlborough downs and the Ridgeway mentioned?

Oh and if anyone's local, I'm looking for some commuting advice. I'm staying just north of Highworth and trying to scope some off road routes into Swindon but struggling. Any advice?

saladdodger
    Free Member

Go to red planet bikes on wood st

They used to do group rides on tuesdays

gusamc
    Free Member

Go S Burbery Castle can do W or S
    (Can get their from town – ex railway or via Wrafton I think)
    Os Map 173

CountZero

As gusamc was trying to say, there is a route south from Swindon along the Ridgeway to Barbury Castle, which gives access to miles of byways and bridleways all over the Downs, across to West Woods, Avebury, Cherhill White Horse, Silbury Hill, and the Sustrans routes from Marlborough back to Swindon and through Calne and Chippenham to Bath and along the Kennett and Avon Canal to Devizes then Honeystreet, which can then get you on to the Wansdyke back towards The Downs and Swindon. There are many, many miles of tracks to enjoy south of Swindon, also the Ridgeway will take you all the way to Ivinghoe Beacon in Bucks.

krag
    Free Member

Cheers all, that barbury castle looks a decent ride and is fairly close to the hotel I'm staying at, shall give it a go.

Keva
    Free Member

the woods behind Nationwide ?

🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Also, have a chat to Bertie Mafoon's in Marlborough. Good people and they'll know a few of the good things around there as well.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Riding near Swindon?’ is closed to new replies.